Kryptonite Centerlink vs. PPE

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
why is that? i know it is very close to the motor but if im moving mounts, dropping the centerlink down a 1/2 or so isnt a big deal. it has been a very long time since i had the motor in the truck to see jsut how it will all fit if you move it so its very possible im thinkin i have more room that i think. whats the other solution?

The front diff is in the way. If you could move it back a little,,,game on. The other way I figured out some years back, but it's more serious of a safety issue for me so I'm not comfortable with making the new pieces.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The front diff is in the way. If you could move it back a little,,,game on. The other way I figured out some years back, but it's more serious of a safety issue for me so I'm not comfortable with making the new pieces.

I got ya. Im lifted so thats why it seems like i have more room

Longer arms wont work. It will hurt our already weak power steering and "quicken up" the steering as well.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I was gonna buy a straight centerlink for my truck soon. Is it better off with the kryptonite kit? 40's on a 10-12 cognito.....

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The straight CLs have no need for the supports. The leverage angle is no longer there for it to twist up like the stocker or any other offset CL. The toe in is enhanced with the offset CLs if the front of the truck lifts any during hard take offs in 4WD. Wander is enhanced as well with the T bars cranked and the off set CLs (even more of an ability to rotate at this point). The straight CL eliminates this phenomenon of geometric disadvantage.

Wes. The straight CL almost completely eliminates the wander and correction needed with the off set CLs (even when considerably worn). However you will get some scrub in a tight turn. Trucks that I put the straight CLs on, I toe out 1/4" to combat extra wear on the tires. This help keeps it more consistent again (even wear and cupping). You just have to figure whats best for you and your driving style. I side on the side of safety and use my straight CL because I sometimes do testing or hard 4WD launches (in a controlled environment of course). I've seen to many almost launch themselves into walls without it at this point.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Kryptonite is a straight centerlink as well. It has holes in the end of it that are drilled perpendicular to the centerlink. This allows the tierods to connect to the centerlink @ a 90 degree angle rather than straight into the link itself. This would be my best guess as to how they are getting close to the same turning radius as stock. My buddy has the kryptonite solution and says it really killed his turning radius on this longbox crewcab????

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Yes. The tie rods attach behind the CL which creates the dog leg design again. If the front end lifts, so do the tie rod ends attached to it and pushes it up on an angle (back and up) thus allowing the front tires to toe in. Yes, Cognitos on there will once again come into play at helping to control this. Its a beefed up stocker. Not talking poop, just stating some facts and this is why I never went down this road.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I run a SD CL and Sleeves on my CC/LB truck and the steering radius loss was minimal and the solid feel i gained was way worth the small loss. We only run sleeves and the SD CL on our trucks and we've yet to have a steering issues

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes. The tie rods attach behind the CL which creates the dog leg design again. If the front end lifts, so do the tie rod ends attached to it and pushes it up on an angle (back and up) thus allowing the front tires to toe in. Yes, Cognitos on there will once again come into play at helping to control this. Its a beefed up stocker. Not talking poop, just stating some facts and this is why I never went down this road.

in kryptonite setup, your leverge point is half of the stock centerlink which reduces the force put onto the idler/pitman arm by 1/2 to 3/4 of the force but still requires the braces. If all your steering componets are tight (idler/pitman arm, tie rods, ect), when the front end lifts and you see toe in, its not due to the centerlink twisting up. its the natural toe in from the badly designed front suspesion we have. we have over 1" of toe change jsut from ride height to full bump or from ride height to full droop. The other straight centerlinks exaggerate this when the front end is lifted and increase the amount of toe change. all our steering systems out there do this, none of it is stopped by jsut a centerlink. maxed out ran that setup all last year and never had toe change on take off but he is also running a shock/suspension setup that keeps the front end from quickly raising straight up on take off. I know your not talking poop but there is more too it than what your claiming. Take a cranked truck with a SD centerlink and do a boosted launch in 4wd, it will wander just like a kryptonite kit under the same conditions. Just like you, ive put my front end through hell with cranked bars on and off road doing 20psi boosted launches on the street and running 4hi WOT up hills or jumping and landing on the gas at WOT. my fabtech kit has the older wide knuckles and i run a 3.75" back spaced wheel so leverage on my steering is not light. Im cutting low 1.8 60fts (yes i know, nothing to brag about) but this is all on 37s and soft launches. i dont spend a lot of time at the track so i know i can get it lower if i perfect my launch but anything over 15psi and im spinning 3 tires at launch. steering stays straight and nice even then and i have 45k on the steering with only 1 new inner and outer tie rod that were factory defects.

anything over stock is safer/tougher. how much is dependent on how you set the truck up.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The Kryptonite is a dog leg design. Only part of it is straight (like the stocker). The straight CLs as you know are completely straight all the way and has the tie rods attaching directly to the ends of it thus eliminating the offset.

no they are not. the centerlink is completely straight and the inner tie rod is just like the outer tie rod accept is attaches horizontally through the back of the straight centerlink. they do not dog leg

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
They hook up to the back side of the CL on the Kyptonite instead of the straight pointed out end. I will say offset if you prefer that. Geometry is simply geometry. Still the same thing. Being I did all the testing on the straight CL before I made it available in 04, I found quickly that I had no wander whatsoever with boosted launches with cranked T bars. Myself as well as others here have tested this theory time and time again on some of the most powerful dmax set ups out there. The only reason why you have wander with the strait CL during a launch is for the reasons of 1 or 2 tires spinning then getting traction and another tire or 2 spinning. Been there, done that for many years. If all tires spin or all get traction, it's a straight launch even cranked up (which I do not recommend anyway). My truck breaks all 6 loose during a hard launch in 4WD and moves side ways in the lane a little during the launch. I find shredded tire rubber in and outside of the wheel wells afterward. This is how I knew what it was doing. However, it launches very, very straight in line with out hardly any steering wheel input needed. I'm sure there are quite a few here with the same experiences with the straight CLs. Some folks here probably remember how I did the testing and what I've put my truck though. I do not wish this kind of testing on any ones truck.

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
when the front end lifts and you see toe in, its not due to the centerlink twisting up. its the natural toe in from the badly designed front suspesion we have.

I tested this by lifting up 1 wheel on the truck and pushing in on the front out side of the lifted tire. The CL rotated up and thus magnified the toe in effect. This is how I found it to be the original culprit of causing the serious toeing in without the bending of the tie rods. If everything is tight as you say, toe in has to let the material go some place. Some flexing is granted from the stock CL,,,, but that a whole lot of flexing if something doesn't give or move.