Kryptonite Centerlink vs. PPE

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Just got a PPE delivered today for our pulling truck. Supposed to decrease turning radius but you can use stock tie rods with it. Talked to Kryptonite guys and if you would buy the whole Kryptonite kit with tie rods your steering radius would stay the same as stock(so they say). Not worth the price diff on an off road pulling truck but on a street truck????

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The dmaxstore kit will net you only a tiny bit of turning radius loss if you actually measure it out. Will you ever notice it? probably not. the dmaxstore kit will not induce bumpsteer, tire scrub, and reduced turing radius like the PPE one will. Dmaxstore is a knock off of EXAXT but because they use the cognito supports (their weak link IMOP), cognito has not sent them a "cease to produce" letter. For the price, i wish exaxt was back in the market :(, i love my kit for its longevity on/off road and the abuse it can take

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
Hopefully it's not much of a loss. Since I've put narrow knuckles on it my turning radius has decreased dramatically. And I plan on doing the kryptonite c.l. And tie rods:confused:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I have the complete Kryptonite comp setup on White Out. About the same steering turning radius as my last setup but much beefer. Not sure you could ever break this setup. Think the front diff or drive line would go first.

fctry286

WhisperMax
Jul 30, 2010
San Diego.
I have the superdiesel link with the braces. even with my little lift i have NO front end movement. turning radius is for the birds. Truck isn't designed for auto cross. :thumb:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I have the superdiesel link with the braces. even with my little lift i have NO front end movement. turning radius is for the birds. Truck isn't designed for auto cross. :thumb:

Haha x's 2

I have a crank it up center link. Ummmmm... Def takes away from dd attributes. I feel like Austin powers sometimes.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The Cognito supports are only needed on CLs that are factory or STILL use off set for the tie rod attachment (Kryptonite for one). It still has the ability to rotate, expecialy if the front end lifts. Geometry is the factor and equalizer. The crank it up, PPE, and Super Diesel CL (the first two are replicas of the SD) are all straight and solid. The disadvantage of the pivot angle has been removed. For those believing they have lost a lot of turn radius with the straight CL can measure there turning circle to verify. Originally thought I lost 3' on the turn. I remeasured and found it was closer to only 1' on my truck. One thing is clear with the straight CLs. Even when the joint parts wear, your steering will stay very tight and solid. This has been proven time and time again over the years.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I did not lose any turning radius when I put on my SD CL+sleeves it was when I put the rims and tires I lost it and that is only because the rub the sway bar.

Most of the time it is not the radius that gets smaller it is that both wheels now move the same amount each way and the fight each other when turning. You will also see more wear on the front tires with it if you do a lot of sharp turning. But I have yet to see that the way I drive. I try to take wide turns anyway to keep speed when I can.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

lol yeah, put your centerlink in my truck and tell me loss of turning radius is minor details :D

The Cognito supports are only needed on CLs that are factory or STILL use off set for the tie rod attachment (Kryptonite for one). It still has the ability to rotate, expecialy if the front end lifts. Geometry is the factor and equalizer. The crank it up, PPE, and Super Diesel CL (the first two are replicas of the SD) are all straight and solid. The disadvantage of the pivot angle has been removed. For those believing they have lost a lot of turn radius with the straight CL can measure there turning circle to verify. Originally thought I lost 3' on the turn. I remeasured and found it was closer to only 1' on my truck. One thing is clear with the straight CLs. Even when the joint parts wear, your steering will stay very tight and solid. This has been proven time and time again over the years.

dont forget the increase in bump steer, increase in toe change with suspension travel, tire scrub and fun thats caused when your trying to turn on ice in a small parking lot from a straight centerlink :D.

both have their weak points and both show their strides in specific applications. Now if we could only get a kit together that moved the steering box and idler arm bracket back 1.5-2"s and used a SD, PPE, crank it up centerlink we would have a bullet proof steering setup that drove like stock. Hmmmmm, maybe my next project :angel:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
increase in toe change with suspension travel,

The toe in and out during full suspension articulation is more with the stock CL than with the straight CL. I measured this years ago when I was curious about it. Watch a sled pulling video with the two different setups.

both have their weak points and both show their strides in specific applications. Now if we could only get a kit together that moved the steering box and idler arm bracket back 1.5-2"s and used a SD, PPE, crank it up centerlink we would have a bullet proof steering setup that drove like stock. Hmmmmm, maybe my next project :angel:

Agreed. The steering box and idler arms cant go back. However,,,,,,,,there is another solution.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Building a dedicated puller and bought the PPE center link. Will it need any bracing or will it fix the toe in/out deal itself?? I thought it would but after reading all this im not certain.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Agreed. The steering box and idler arms cant go back. However,,,,,,,,there is another solution.

why is that? i know it is very close to the motor but if im moving mounts, dropping the centerlink down a 1/2 or so isnt a big deal. it has been a very long time since i had the motor in the truck to see jsut how it will all fit if you move it so its very possible im thinkin i have more room that i think. whats the other solution?