Keeping the heads on.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
So I have a few questions again now concerning my build up.

I of cousre will be installing ARP head studs but past that I am lacking knowledge on what guys and witches are doing.

Are people o-ringing or fire ringing our head sand if so which is better for our trucks. I know on the cummins the fire rings are a btter choice but not sure if the same applies for out trucks.

Also what are people running for headgaskets?? Is there a better multilayer out there or a copper one??

The truck will be a twin turbo high horsepower puller that will still see a fair amount of street driving.

Thanks again guys.

and Kat you may be getting a phone call.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Im sure that there is a copper and a good multi layer gasket out there for the d- max.

i would stay with a multi layer gasket, in the cummins world it's all that is working on a consistant bases. i personally have pushed over 80 psi with NOS and with regular arp's and not had any head issues, i really think it's all about the TQ sequence and the overall tq applied to the stud, to much and it stretches, too little and well you know what happens....hope this helps

hdd-max

Apr 30, 2008
Stock head gaskets are the best out there right now as far as I know. You will need to get the high dollar studs though. Arp sells 2 different kinds normal and the really good ones. The good ones are ~$1200 normal ones are ~$500. Stock head gaskets and the good ARP's will hold alot of boost/power. Good Luck on your build!

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I was wondering about that too, I thought the were a little bit steeper than that though.

any thoughts on the o ringing or fire ringing yet??

hdd-max

Apr 30, 2008
If it isn't broke don't fix it right. I would just use stock gaskets and good studs and call it good. When people start having problems then something else needs to be done. Unless you plan on setting new records stick with what works.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not sure the $1200 studs are really necessary. I was building 50-55 psi of boost and making between 600-650 HP on stock bolts, and I know that regular studs will hold quite a bit more than stock bolts. Maybe if you're going for over 1000 HP you would want the better studs, but for most builds, I would say the regular studs are plenty.

Oh yeah, stock head gaskets.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I really dont wanna spend 3 times as much on studs if I dont have to.

So as of now it sounds like ARP2000 studs and thats it. Wow, do we have anothr advantage on the cummins:D.

hdd-max

Apr 30, 2008
I assumed he was going for 1000+ hp when he said he was building a high HP twin turbo puller. I too would use the regular studs and stock gaskets for anything less than 900 rwhp without even thinking twice.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I assumed he was going for 1000+ hp when he said he was building a high HP twin turbo puller. I too would use the regular studs and stock gaskets for anything less than 900 rwhp without even thinking twice.

X2, look at Pat though , he lifted the heads with less than 900hp

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Is pats caused by the nitrous??

Im not looking for 1000 this year. I was gonna fo a lot of playing with different twin setups and fueling mods, but I decided to go with MPI twins and plaine jane twin CP3s in addition to the motor build to keep the costs down and to run a setup that is proven and will take less fine tuning so I can make the sponsors happy.

After next season when more sponsor money rolls in I will play around with different turbos and such.