Just another 8 sec truck

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ya’ll will probably give me a whole lot of flack for it being a dodge but I couldn’t turn the opportunity down.

Year and a half ago, buddy of mine called me about building a drag truck. Think some of you saw the cage and thread of some of the build on it. Anyhow, he and his business partner had a goal to the fastest diesel in AZ and hit 8 sec. I took him seriously as he’s one of those that when he says something, it’s gunna happen. we finally did that last night in the truck after a complete makeover

We’ve had a total of 3 passes on the truck and on that 3rd pass, we hit a 8.97 at 158.9 mph on our small tune

The very first few passes I was not there as I had other family plans I couldn’t get out of. While there, I got so videos of the hung launching and it was all over the place. Come to find out the shock settings were played with and way off as well as the cal tracks. Was pulling 1.53 60 foots, pulling hard to the wall and would break tires loose on 2nd gear lock up. Best was a 9.7 at 147mph 5780lbs. I set the shocks back where I wanted them and added a bit more preload in the cal tracks, damn near right where it should be pulling a 1.47 60 and we actually added weight to make super street rules (we were 6k with driver in it last night).

I am beyond stoked about this rig! Countless hours are in this truck and it’s literally built by us 3 with hands from a couple other crew members that came on later. We ran one more time but the track had gone to absolute shit (they were not prepping) and we shut down at the 1000ft still running a 9.2 at 151mph.

d45071486f6eff02c35a1e5b70728791.jpg

f70ffe17f0760b8cb3731f85e4d973d2.jpg

Few more pics

b9c36213fd19ae060463f962d1cce5cb.jpg

e027f368139a81e44b7ce7074a9482ff.jpg

Video

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1en9RCon6MGi3-BC-1dnIwBhFogZO4IY9

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Much respect. Love seeing guys go fast doing there own work. It's hard to believe 8s a couple years ago seemed impossible. Now it's the new standard.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's impressive no matter what! Congrats. You do general wrenching and fabricating? Who tunes it? You all build that [special] trans or source it from elsewhere?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Really appreciate it everyone!

That's impressive no matter what! Congrats. You do general wrenching and fabricating? Who tunes it? You all build that [special] trans or source it from elsewhere?

I have done 99% of the fab work on this truck, all from my garage lol. The cage, the back end structure for rad, trans cooler, batteries, parachute mount, bed sides, fuel cell, shock mounts, modified drive shaft loops, shifter mount, windshield, weight saving, and host of other crap. Fred, mark and I did all the install on trans, engine, tcase, added limited slip to the back, cal tracks, etc etc. it’s probably easier to say what we didn’t do. I’m the “crew chief” as Mark says but am the main wrench I guess you could say besides mark or Fred. Fred has build 48s for years and FSR Diesel is built around dodge transmissions. The one in it is built by I’m with about everything you can throw at it. Ben at Done Right Diesel does all the tuning and has been a ton of help in sourcing parts and knowledge on things we have questions on. Engine is a D&J deck plate 6.7 engine on twin that HSP built for us along with the air to water setup. We run no belt so power steering and brakes are all done by electric hydraulic pump

Much respect. Love seeing guys go fast doing there own work. It's hard to believe 8s a couple years ago seemed impossible. Now it's the new standard.

No kidding. To win against the top guys in SS, you damn sure gotta run 8s. It’s no small task to get 6k down the track and hook.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Damn noobs always not recording the whole run....

:D congrats James!!

Never was concerned with it. Main reason we were there was to work on suspension, launch and how it acted into lockup. Told mark if it felt like shit, get out of it. If he liked how it was going, mash the bitch.

Thank you guys. I truly appreciate it. Ya’ll are my Dmax family and there ain’t no way I’ll give mine up either lol.
On a side note, we just noticed the 1/8 mile sets a new record for nhrda :D

Last edited: