Just another 8 sec truck

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Wow very impressive too say the least! That is no small feat, if you don’t mind me asking though. What is the wheel tire setup on it? Hard to see it on my phone.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Is that you with sunglasses on face or on hat? :rofl:
Congrats to all of you involved with that truck. That is something else.
The people over at CompD would have heart attacks if you told them about this. That Chris Tobin guy would want to do an article on it, too.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wow very impressive too say the least! That is no small feat, if you don’t mind me asking though. What is the wheel tire setup on it? Hard to see it on my phone.

i couldnt tell you whos wheels. they are nothing special and heavy IMHO. we may actually loose them soon if we cant keep the bead from slipping. Tires are Hoosier DR2 325/45R18.

Is that you with sunglasses on face or on hat? :rofl:
Congrats to all of you involved with that truck. That is something else.
The people over at CompD would have heart attacks if you told them about this. That Chris Tobin guy would want to do an article on it, too.

Im the one with the Hat lol, other guy is Mark and Fred took the pic. Yeah i have a feeling they would. I may throw something up over there. Who does Chris work for?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im the one with the Hat lol, other guy is Mark and Fred took the pic. Yeah i have a feeling they would. I may throw something up over there. Who does Chris work for?

You look happy. :) I dont blame you.

I think Chris writes for Diesel World or Diesel Builder.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Figured id post up a race report as we do these if anyone would like a read or as we make changes. ill probably put this thread in the build thread area.

So we were suppose to make Colorado but ran into some issues engine wise that held us back. by the time we got everything squared away, the last event we could make before world finals was Montana. We were on a mission to make worlds this year so that meant we had a 2800 mile round trip to make. Our team consists of myself, Fred Swanson, Mark Rau, and Austin Hopper. All close friends that have known each other for years.

Made last min checks and a quick couple street passes smoking all 4 loading tires in mexico and then started packing. We headed out Thursday at 3:00pm in my buddies 2017 cummins and 50ft enclosed goose. went through vegas, salt lake, straight up through idaho to Butte, Montana and then shot east to Billings. Drove straight through only stopping for food, piss breaks and driver changes (we all rotated 5 hour shift between the 4 of us). My buddy had installed 3 new fuel tanks on the cummins (54 in place of stock tank, 20gal under the spare tire, 100 gal in the bed) so we had the fuel even at 8mpg to get to Billings without filling up, which we did lol. Estimated gross weight was around 26k with truck and trailer. I drove the night shift from 10pm to 5:30am (well over the 5 hour limit but everyone was passed out and i was feeling good so kept on). I was very surprised how this trucked pulled the weight. i have not towed with a dually before and the stability is pretty damn awesome in comparison to my truck. by no means is mine apple to apples of the dually but didnt think there was THAT big of a difference. i was also impressed with the power and cooling pulling grades. it makes me seriously want to test a L5P with my trailer on the back. we were never under 55mph on any grade and really never fell much under 65. But anyhow, enough about the tow rig, i wouldnt own one. rides rough as shit and in the 5500 miles it now has on it, its died on my buddy once for a bad BCM and lift pump then threw a check engine light on me while towing back and went into limp for some code that made no sense. glad we had a V2.

So after driving 24 hours straight to Billings, stopped at Wally World and grab a ton of ice and some food to grill at the track. Pulled into the race track and was very surprised how nice the amenities were for a track way out in the middle of no where. Got there in time to watch the sled pulls (way better than the ones at the phx opener), enjoy some adult beverages and go over a little game plan for Saturday. Set up some beds in the trailer and passed out in the trailer. Next morning we did another nut/bolt check on the truck and fixed minor things we missed. Chad with the green 72 C10 was parked right next to us and we got to talking. Super nice guy and that truck is bad ass. it is going to be one hell of a runner when he irons out the issues. we mulled over a few things together that he was thinking about or had some questions on and i think hes got a good idea on getting her dialed in.

Our other neighbor was Kevin with a white 69 or 70 C10 promod (think its a promod) with a twin turbo dmax in it running 600 shot of nitrous. That thing was a work of art. Again, another super genuine guy that we chatted with for some time.

Ran the truck through tech without issue and learned we were the only SS truck that would be running. Verlon teched but had some issues going on and said he wouldnt be running, just wanted the SS card so he could run SS in world finals and i cant for the life of me remember the other fellow who flew in, used a friends of his truck to pass SS tech so he could run in world finals as well but would not run that truck in Montana. We were a little disappointed we wouldnt be running anyone but this truck is still new and not running someone meant i knew our driver (mark for this race) would take his time more so i could lessen the variables on launch and try to dial the suspension in better or try something new.

Qualifying started and we headed to the line. For the first run, we decided to not hit 4th and see if we could ring 3rd out. First run out, pulled a 1.45 60ft but hung the 2nd to 3rd shift due to too much line pressure and it overriding the gov in the trans. Ran a 6.3 in the 8th still which wasnt bad but i was stoked on that 60 ft. Made some changes to the shocks to see if i could get a little more on the next run and adjusted line pressure on the trans.

Next run, the track started fading and we were having a heck of a time getting the pea gravel off the slicks before rolling onto the track. This run was our person best ET. 60ft dropped to a 1.49 but ran a 5.81 at 124mph (down 1mph from our best but with the altitude and the fact we are basically getting all of the small tune down on the track, i expected that). Never hit 4th gear but we were just hitting the rev limiter at the line. Super stoked on that!

So our last run was then for the "final". played with suspension a bit more and tried to accommodate for the track. didnt gain anything but kept it down at 1.5 and did have a hiccup partway down the track from the shifter (water box lid popped off on the 2nd run and threw some water around in the cab, we think it got a connector damp) so we slowed to a 5.95 in the 1/8. Still respectable in my book.

we loaded up and hung out till awards. We got our ugly mugs on NHRDA screen and Mark attempted to talk. He was more of ricky bobby than anything :roflmao: and Fred took over to thank everyone. Told him ill go up as "the driver" next time :roflmao:.

and then the long haul started once again. We left the track at 6:17 montana time. Filled up in billings, grabbed some foot and it was hammer down. I took the late shift again from 12am till 5am, slept for about 2 hours before we ate breakfast at 7 and was awake the rest of the trip. other than the limp mode issue, the trip there went off without a hitch.

So for our first event with the truck, we won, will be invited to worlds where we fully intend on being to actually compete and it was a great time meeting new faces and enjoying the road trip together.

plans for the truck are to change wheels to less off set and beadlocks (get a better scrub radius to stop the damn torque steer/chatter we get), pull axles apart for full inspection on diffs and axles, go over and possible change steering, add more power and rpm (we air shift at 5k but rev limit is at 5700) and a few other small things. We want to actually be competitive at worlds so we are going to push further for that.

heading out
fvxH0Ojl.jpg

Friday morning was freds birthday. Stopped at Dennys in a little town in Idaho for breakfast and server gave him an ice cream. course i photo bombed :roflmao:
X3cZKzul.jpg

Mark was giving fred a hard time for "turning old" so the server brought Mark this. we laughed pretty hard
7afCqGXl.jpg

Cool pic from friday night after unloading the truck
bUWRS0Sl.jpg

i absolutely loved this truck. think the owners name is mike or mark. once again, very nice guy but my god was this thing clean and cool
QoZ05Opl.jpg

nbaXLtKl.jpg

videos from Saturday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UMqrQ4XCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b3trLRwUKY

stopping at wally world in st george for some DEF
Ngb2JDWl.jpg

Kingman topping off fuel (bad headwind outside of vegas DRAIN the fuel trying to do 70-75). the window washers got no tip :roflmao:
uNyiYVjl.jpg

Im excited for world finals. always wanted to go but never could seem to make it work. im driving out there thursday with Austin and may be flying back saturday night for my wifes birthday sunday if i can find a flight that works. Josh, i better see you there!!! :D:D