JP4 Jet Fuel use?

Capt. Jim

My other ride has 3412E's
Mar 23, 2019
West Palm Beach, Florida
I have access to a lot of clean JP4 and was told older diesels such as my LLY and LB7 can burn it. I know the military is now using JP4 for their diesels. Anyone use this fuel before or have any advice pro or con? Hate to try it and screw things up.

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
I used a lot in my 1985 suburban with What I believe it was a 6.2 liter. But I would put a quart of 30 wt oil per 50 gallon drum of jet a for lubrication. Jet fuel is a lot drier than the diesel used at the time. Not sure how much difference now than the ULSD we have now. I would consider it along with a double dose of opti lube.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
JP4 is probably closer to kerosene then diesel with low cetain. I would add some 2 stroke

If you are running a tune it may help to bump the timing up a bit but may not be necessary.

If I had access to it I would run it in a heart beat

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Jp8 or kerosene should have a higher cetane rating than pump diesel, it'll light easier when cold. I wouldn't be afraid to run it with a lubricity additive

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I think the military has a manual for how much oil to add to jet fuel to make diesel.

I think the manual is comprehensive enough as to cover from the highest cleanest jetful conversion not lower fuels. IIRC any of the ultra clean can be made into lessers by adding certain products.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Found a good description of JP4 on www.globalsecurity.org

JP4 is 65 percent kerosene and 35 percent gasoline, while JP5 is kerosene. AVGAS is used to power piston engines, while jet fuel is used to to power jet engines

Wide Cut Type (JP 4 and Jet B) fuels are mixtures of gasoline and kerosene distillate fractions with an approximate boiling range of 35°-315°C (95°-600°F). These jet fuels are called wide-cut because the kerosene is cut with gasoline. They are also called wide-range, because of the wide range of boiling temperatures. These distillate-type turbine fuels originated in the USA where readily available gasoline fractions were used to supplement the basic kerosene type of fuel

Kerosene Type (JP 8, Jet A 1, and Jet A) fuels are petroleum distillates with an approximate boiling range of 165°-290°C (330°-550°F). In Europe, gasoline was less available after World War II, so these kerosene-based jet fuels prevailed.

High Flash Point Kerosene (JP 5) fuel has essentially the same characteristics as the kerosene type fuels, but with a minimum flash point of 60°C (140°F). This higher flash point fuel is used to some extent in Presidential Fleet aircraft and is required by the Navy for fire safety purposes aboard aircraft carriers.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
And some more:

Jet A
Jet A is a kerosene type fuel similar to JP 8, but having a maximum freezing point of 40°C ( 40°F). The specification for Jet A does not require corrosion or icing inhibitors. Jet A 1 is a kerosene type fuel similar to JP 8, but the specification for Jet A 1 does not require corrosion or icing inhibitors. Jet Fuel A-1 is a petroleum distillate blended from kerosene fractions and used in civil aviation. Jet A-1 is similar to Jet A except for a lower freezing point. Jet A-1 is an operational fuel for all turboprop and turbojet aircraft requiring a low freezing point product).

Jet B
Jet B is a fuel similar to JP 4 but has a maximum freeze point of 50°C ( 58°F). The specification for Jet B does not require corrosion or icing inhibitors.

JP-4
Jet fuel 4 (JP-4) is a form of no. 1 fuel oil, and was one of the most commonly used petroleum products in the US Military. Jet fuel no. 4 is a middle distillate refined petroleum product that was primarily used in military planes. JP-4 was the standard fuel of the US Air Force and Army Aviation, and at one time constituted 85% of the turbine fuels used by the Department of Defense.

JP-4 is essentially a 50:50 mixture of heavy naphtha fraction (like gasoline) and kerosene. This fuel is not considered to be an acceptable substitute/alternate for diesel fuel. JP-4 is interchanged within NATO under NATO Code Number F-40. JP-4 is mainly procured as ASTM D 975 Jet B (or perhaps as CAN/CGSB 3.22). The chief difference between JP-4 and Jet B is that JP-4 contains the three mandatory additives while Jet B does not unless requested during procurement.

In terms of refining crude oil, JP-4 is a middle distillate. The middle distillates include kerosene, aviation fuels, diesel fuels, and fuel oil #1 and 2. These fuels contain paraffins (alkenes), cycloparaffins (cycloalkanes), aromatics, and olefins, from approximately C9 to C20. Aromatic compounds of concern included alkylbenzenes, toluene, naphthalenes, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Compositions range from avgas and JP-4, which are similar to gasoline, to Jet A and JP-8, which are kerosene-based fuels. JP-4 is a volatile, complex mixture of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons that was principally used in military aircraft. The volatility meant that inhalation exposure is a potential problem near fueling facilities, either from spills or leaks. Once the soil has become saturated, remedial activities create both fire and inhalation hazards.

The conversion of Air Force bases from JP-4 to JP-8 has been completed. The need for and availability of JP-4 for new air vehicles remains unclear. Reference Technical Order (T.O.) 42B-1-14 for a more detailed definition of primary, alternate, and emergency fuel. Consult Air Standardization Coordinating Committee (ASCC) AIR STD 15/1Y for allied country fuel designations. When using a fuel other than JP 4, it may be necessary to manually adjust fuel controls of turbine engines to avoid exceeding engine operating limits, particularly RPM and EGT. Applicable flight manuals and engine technical orders should be consulted for specific operation and adjustment instructions when using alternate fuels.

JP-5
Jet fuel 5 (JP-5) is a form of no. 1 fuel oil. Many commercial jet fuels have basically the same composition as kerosene, but they are under more stringent specifications than those for kerosene. JP-5 is a military aircraft turbine fuel. JP-5 is considered to be the naval equivalent of JP-4, the former standard fuel of the US Air Force and Army Aviation. Naval aircraft have somewhat different requirements from those for land-based planes, such as less volatility and higher flash points, in order to minimize vapor exposure of personnel as well as reduce fire risk in enclosed areas below decks. This led to the development of JP-5, a 60 degree C minimum flashpoint kerosene-type fuel for use in shipboard service. The flash point is the temperature the fuel ignite. JP5's flash point is 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

If there's too much water in JP5, it may freeze in aircraft that fly at high altitudes, such as the SH-60. Sediment, or small foreign particles, presents another problem. Too much sediment will clog up certain intakes on an aircraft, putting an aircraft out of service for labor-intensive maintenance for weeks. To check for these JP5-spoiling elements, the QA Lab uses a combined contaminated fuel detector, or CCFD.

In terms of refining crude oil, JP-5 is a middle distillate. The middle distillates include kerosene, aviation fuels, diesel fuels, and fuel oil #1 and 2. These fuels contain paraffins (alkanes), cycloparaffins (cycloalkanes), aromatics, and olefins from approximately C9 to C20. Aromatic compounds of concern included alkylbenzenes, toluene, naphthalenes, and PAHs. Compositions range from avgas and JP-4, which are similar to gasoline, to Jet A and JP-8, which are kerosene-based fuels. JP-4 and JP-5 are volatile, complex mixtures of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons and are principally used in military aircraft. The volatility means that inhalation exposure is a potential problem near fueling facilities, either from spills or leaks. Once the soil has become saturated, remedial activities create both fire and inhalation hazards. Toxic effects are similar to those described for gasoline. Chronic effects associated with middle distillates are mainly due to exposure to aromatic compounds, which are found primarily in JP-4 and JP-5.

JP-8
A Department of Defense (DoD) Directive Number 4140.43 dated 5 December 1975 stated that all new turbine powered air vehicles should be designed to operate on middle distillate turbine fuel, JP-8, as well as JP-5 and JP-4. JP-8 has since been identified as the Single Fuel for the Battlefield. Shipboard based air vehicles continue to require JP-5 fuel because of safety considerations in storing and handling fuel aboard ships. These fuels can be routinely encountered in world wide deployment and should be considered in the design of the air vehicle systems. All other fuels should be designated alternate, restricted or emergency fuels.

JP-8 is a 100% kerosene blend and is an acceptable substitute/alternate for diesel fuel. JP-8 is interchanged within NATO under NATO Code Number F-34. In terms of refining crude oil, jet fuel 8 is a middle distillates. The middle distillates include kerosene, aviation fuels, diesel fuels, and fuel oil #1 and 2. These fuels contain paraffins (alkenes), cycloparaffins (cycloalkanes), aromatics, and olefins from approximately C9 to C20. Aromatic compounds of concern included alkylbenzenes, toluene, naphthalenes, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Compositions range from avgas and JP-4, which are similar to gasoline, to Jet A and JP-8, which are kerosene-based fuels [661]. Kerosene normally has a boiling range well above the boiling-point of benzene; accordingly, the benzene content of the kerosene fraction (and therefore jet fuel 8) is usually below 0.02%. However, since wide-cut jet fuels (such as jet fuel 4) are made by blending with gasoline, they may contain more benzene (normally < 0.5%).

The JP-8 +100 fuel thermal stability additive for JP-8 was developed by the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL/PRSP) to increase the thermal stability of jet fuel by 100?F and increase the fuel's heat sink capacity by 50%. The +100 additive is a fuel injector cleaner additive package consisting of detergent, dispersant, metal deactivators and antioxidant. The additive was developed to facilitate fielding of future advanced fighter air vehicles requiring enhanced thermal margins for fuel. During field evaluation of the additive in F-16 air vehicles, benefits of reduced engine coking were reported. The Air Force has been evaluating the benefits of this additive in fighter and trainer air vehicles. However, the additive disarms the current generation of filter coalescer elements making them ineffective for removing water, and dirt.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So after reading that, I would be a little hesitant to run it. Maybe with a bunch of 2 stroke oil or mixed with biofuel but would only try a few gallons in an almost empty tank first. If it doesn't run right then you can fill up with regular #2 and dilute it

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Higher cetane would increase its flash point temperature, not lower it.

Cetane is the opposite of octane, high cetane has a better tendency to ignite. I don't have any solid info if flash point directly correlates to cetane.

And I'll add this, I didn't realize jp4 was so bad (not very consistent) compared to jp8. Seems like you could find a batch that would be similar, but might end up being mostly gasoline

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thought ATF did well mixed with diesel fuel.

i thought so too but that shit killed my injectors pretty quick when i was running LB7 injectors. i ran one quart per 34 gal fill up. over the course of 10 fill ups i watched my injector balance rates start to get worse on a couple and eventually they started to fail. I started reading up on it and due to the cleaners in it and the high pressure of the common rail, it can increase wear on the CP3 and injectors pretty quickly. It could have been a fluke as i know a bunch of 7.3 guys that even run straight ATF (not apples to oranges here) but it scared me enough to stay away from it. 2 stoke oil is all i drop in now.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would imagine it is more of the friction modifiers in the ATF then the cleaners or viscosity that may have hurt your injectors

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i thought so too but that shit killed my injectors pretty quick when i was running LB7 injectors. i ran one quart per 34 gal fill up. over the course of 10 fill ups i watched my injector balance rates start to get worse on a couple and eventually they started to fail. I started reading up on it and due to the cleaners in it and the high pressure of the common rail, it can increase wear on the CP3 and injectors pretty quickly. It could have been a fluke as i know a bunch of 7.3 guys that even run straight ATF (not apples to oranges here) but it scared me enough to stay away from it. 2 stoke oil is all i drop in now.

Same here, I tried ATF to "save" my worn injectors and it just made it worse.

2 stroke oil is all I use now, occasionally OptiLube XDP when I'm feeling rich.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Atf is not designed to be burned with fuel , too abrasive , two cycle is designed to be burned with fuel for lubrication . Tony recommends 16oz synthetic per fill up , that is what I have been using for 10 years , keeps injectors very quiet . It costs a little more but what are injectors and cp3 worth ?