Issues loading tunes after getting a new ECM

akdmaxx

Jul 12, 2015
I'm trying to help out a local shop with a customers 2005 LLY. Long story short the customs ECM was having issues was sent off to get rebuilt. Couldnt be fixed so a new ECM was installed. After the new ecm was installed the shop installed the OS using the GM Global software. The shop then tried to reinstall the tunes but was not able to. He asked me for help to I hooked up to it and updated the autocal and was still not able to load the tunes. It gave me a $0533 error controller locked. I tried all the work arounds and still wouldnt load the tunes. So I hooked up to the truck with my flash scan and it wouldnt even let me read it with same error. We pulled the white buss bar under the dash and used a paper clip so that a direct connection was used to the ecm with no interference from the other controllers. Still would not let me read. The vin numbers on the ecm and the autocal match. Has anyone else had this issue?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Efilive does not use vin numbers to verify licensing. it may not flash until you license that ECM to that Autocal. you should start with contacting your tuner.

not sure on the flashscan not being able to read it unless you have one of the settings off. like alternate keys

akdmaxx

Jul 12, 2015
What does it use to verify license? So with the new ecm even though its same truck with same software and OS it will need another vin license? Would contact the tuner but it is ATP tunes….

i just plugged into it with my flash scan and clicked the first time i didnt change anything. The next time i tried reading i tried using “ use alternate keys” and assume fault” boxes clicked and still wouldnt let me read it.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
It uses the ecm serial number for licensing, not the VIN. To flash, the new ECM would have to be licensed, but the tune could be locked to VIN or ECM serial number (I believe). But if the new ECM has a stock GM tune programmed using TIS and can't even be read with your F/S, then it seems something else is up.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
I went through this process when I replaced my ECM on my 03 LB7. The old ECM had been loaded with purchased DSP5 tunes via an autocal.

Efilive does have a published policy on VIN license replacements here. The Efilive VIN license is married to the ECM serial number as Cougar281 says above, so replacing the ECM = new VIN license. I had to provide proof of purchase of the replacement ECM and specific details like the fact I was returning the old ECM core as part of the transaction with SoCal diesel, but after a few email exchanges they agreed to provide one. I also had to provide the new ECM serial number, Autocal serial number, and Autocal auth code as well.

Then, the tuner needed to update the Autocal, because they had fixed a limit of one VIN. I got a code from the tuner to increase the Autocal to a max of 221 VIN slots, after a few more mail exchanges to figure out how to do what Efilive was telling me (and the tuner) needed to be done. Then, I had to generate a new Autocal auth code and send that back to Efilive. After all this, success. This was a couple years ago, but if memory serves after all this I was able to upload my purchased DSP5 tunes from the Autocal, using a new VIN license, into the replacement ECM. Not a trivial process.

Last edited: