LB7: Is this a fair price?

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
I am having my shortblock rebuilt by a trusted engine builder that I have used many times with no problems or issues.

I was somewhat shocked when he said the labor to do the bottom end would be $1k labor.
It includes the following:
Disassembly, mag the crank, vat the block, install freeze plugs and reassemble.

Also, any recommendations to do anything more than that I would be greatful for. It has no mods, bone stock components.

Thanks,
Rudely

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
If the truck is stock and staying that way I wouldn't cut the pistons

I would have it balanced if any changes are made in the rotating assembly weight.

Thats a good price for what he;s doing. Most engine builders should be more for assembling without the machine work.

Yes, it will be staying stock. I do have Edge Juice if that makes a difference. I have had my truck for 6 years and STILL don't know how to use The Edge:eek::eek:

I had no plans to modify the assembly, I will likely not balance it. Of course I will sleep on it and change my mind 10 times before it's over.

That is nice to hear about the cost, Arnold is a great guy with many, many years experience building motors. He has built several sbc and bbc motors for me that turned out excellent.

Thanks men, I am really ready to drive my truck again!!

Rudely

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Seems reasonable to me. Think about it this way: How long will it be from the time he starts the clock to tear into it and have it back together, even if he did nothing but your engine? That might put it in perspective. At 12 hours it would be $83 an hour. I don't know how long that takes really, but I doubt he's going to get it done from start to finish in a day. He still has to answer the phone, eat lunch, order parts, etc.

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Mike_S
does this rebuild have something to do with that never use ether line in your sig?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Osubeaver
Seems reasonable to me. Think about it this way: How long will it be from the time he starts the clock to tear into it and have it back together, even if he did nothing but your engine? That might put it in perspective. At 12 hours it would be $83 an hour. I don't know how long that takes really, but I doubt he's going to get it done from start to finish in a day. He still has to answer the phone, eat lunch, order parts, etc.

Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Diesel power
Thats very cheap....you better double check his work for that price.

Yea Mike, directly related! I was a little too impatient this time.

Yea, I agree with you osu! Not to mention, I trust this guy without question. Arnold is very old school and teaches me something each time I talk too him.

I hear ya Diesel, very good advice to anyone. I am very very fortunate to have found one of those older guys that care about their reputation. 7 years or so, never a single problem over 15 or so deals. ALWAYS available for needed advice or help.

Here are pics of the head and block:mad::mad::mad::D:D:D
It pissed me off, but I did do a damn good job if you're gonna blow one up:woott::D
IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
pictures like that is why i try and tell people not to use starting fluid on engines with built in starting aids. this you now know, sadly. so, what exactly happened?

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
Every time I see those pics I just cringe. :(

Can I ask how in the hell did you do that

Me too Tom, me too!! I swear it has become quite expensive for what began as a relatively minor issue with a low dollar solution.:mad::mad:

Wes,
NEVER USE ETHER!! NEVER USE ETHER!! Especially by the quart like I was. Complete ignorane as to how a diesel actually worked. Most of my best lessons have come from my worst mistakes.:thumb:

Here are the push rods:
pushrods.jpg

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC
pictures like that is why i try and tell people not to use starting fluid on engines with built in starting aids. this you now know, sadly. so, what exactly happened?

Yea check out that thread mike, it is all there. It is a big lesson that I don't mind sharing with anyone. Maybe it will keep someone else from doing it! I really always thought that was an old wives tale myself. I am a car guy by nature and have quickly learned my Dmax isn't my bbc!!:eek::eek:

Hi Tom,
Thanks again for all the help!
I am feeling exceptionally well right now, my heads are on the way, block is being prepped...........life is good right now:happy2: