is it turbo bark

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
yesterday i was working on a new tune, i was brake standing the truck building boost up to 20 psi for launch when a noise coming from the fire wall sounding like a muffled air valve opening and closing several times fast keep occuring. is this turbo bark or the waste gate . how can i eliminate this if it is bad? a blow off valve maybe?

JMK777

Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
it is a 01 lb7 it also dose this when i lift or some times when it shifts. it's the same noise when looking at videos of sled pullers shutting down at the end of there runs

JMK777

Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
would going to a blow off valve help this. i have a problem building boost over 27 psi even with a big head gate cranked down or disconnected.

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
At the end of the runs on pullers its always the turbo barkin. I hear its bad for the turbo and really bad if its the factory turbo. The Wooo chochochocohco sound at the end? Thats barking if you can read barkin, ha...
Hope this helps

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
would going to a blow off valve help this. i have a problem building boost over 27 psi even with a big head gate cranked down or disconnected.

I could never build more than 27psi out of my stocker with the PPE BIV.

Have you checked the shaft play in the turbo?

EDIT.. are you saying that you build more than 27psi or cant build more?

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
After just changing out my stock turbo and having barked it many times in the last year and a half. I had very minimal shaft play.

My mechanic said it had no more shaft play than a new turbo.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Ive had some buddies bark theirs for 120k and they have been fine, really minmal play front to rear. Then there are some other guys in town that have had their turbos completely let go from barking them. I think its really hard to say, but either way barking the turbo is no good as the guts of the cold side of your turbo want to expel themselves from their home :D.

JMK777

Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
well it sounds like I got turbo bark. anyone know how to get rid of it. I was thinking of loosening my wast gate to open at a lighter boost psi and using a boost controller to control it's opening but set the controller at 32 psi. when i had my stock wast gate i was able to build 30 psi but since i changed to the big head it's hard to get past 27psi even when cranked down. i never had my turbo apart to check shaft play.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
well it sounds like I got turbo bark. anyone know how to get rid of it. I was thinking of loosening my wast gate to open at a lighter boost psi and using a boost controller to control it's opening but set the controller at 32 psi. when i had my stock wast gate i was able to build 30 psi but since i changed to the big head it's hard to get past 27psi even when cranked down. i never had my turbo apart to check shaft play.

Just pull the turbo inlet on the front, simple 5 minute chore and you have access to see if there is any play.

JMK777

Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
what is the allowance. i stuck my finger in there last week but didn't feel any movement.should i use a dial indicator?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Just pull the turbo inlet on the front, simple 5 minute chore and you have access to see if there is any play.

exactly. just jiggle it. if you have ever felt a healthy turbo and a sick one you will know. feel very sloppy for something that is spinning at that many rpms.