Interesting results with banks six gun and iq 2.0

Uncle Jesse

Jul 28, 2014
So with the iq 2.0 you can check 1/4, 1/8 and 0-60 times and speed. My truck (03 lb7 cc/sb 4x4) is outfitted with the six gun and 4" catless exhaust (no other mods). My best times were as follows:

Power level #1 (stock tune): 2wd 1,500 rpm launch: 16.1 seconds @ 82.9 mph. Dragtimes.com calculates 335 hp (assuming truck weighs 7,300 lbs)

Power level #6: 2wd 1,500 rpm launch:
14.7 seconds @ 89.2 mph. Calculates to 429 hp.

I noticed slower times and speeds with 4wd launches ([email protected] on #6) (16.4@81 on #1).

These are all 1/4 mile times. Dry pavement, cool temps (5-10 degrees Celsius) moderate humidity. I had wheel slip on the 2wd launches but my 0-60 feet times were all with in 1.9-2.1 seconds. No way to record reaction time.

How accurate these numbers are is anyone's guess. I will be taking it to a track in the near future once my injectors are replaced (267,000 kms on the originals ain't bad). How much those are affecting my times is uncertain.

Tranny slippage could be happening in higher power settings but I'm not sure. I had a GM tune on it before the banks, was supposed to be a 100 hp tune, worked like a dream until I installed the new exhaust which put me over the top on what the tranny could handle towing and I limped it nearly half a dozen times on a trip to Ontario pulling a 19' bumper pull camper. I didn't know what was going on when it happened, had GM flush the tranny and it worked for another 3,000 kms before limping again. After the trip I figured out what I did wrong, removed the GM tune, installed the six gun and have had much better results with the tranny towing, however I did like the GM tune better, much more bottom end and better fuel economy then the six gun.

Just found my results interesting and wondered what others on here would think about them and the conclusions I came to. While these numbers aren't solid, it gives me a ball park of what my truck is capable of as is, and with your input and what I've learned so far I'm sure I can make it better.

How do these numbers compare to those of you that have actual times from a track?

Keep 'er 'tween the ditches

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm not sure how accurate the performance logging abilities are with the six-gun, with the performance logging features on my areoforce gauge they're with in about .10-.20sec...

AFAIK, banks locks the six-gun tuner out of the top two or three tunes until you upgrade a few things, one of them being the torque converter??? So you might not actually be getting the full power of the bigger tunes???

Something to look into anyways, I remember hearing that from the Banks sales rep when I was considering using Banks software.

Uncle Jesse

Jul 28, 2014
Well I certainly don't think I'm getting the full potential of it that's for sure, I wish I had done the 1/4 with GM tune to compare. And I'm pretty sure I'm losing a good amount of power through the tranny, after limping it as many times as I did I'm certain those clutches are glazed over and not grabbing like they should. There's a guy on here that put down around 425 rwhp on a dyno with the six gun, what supporting mods he had I'm not sure, with the exception of the built tranny, I know he had that, which would certainly support larger numbers. After all, flywheel hp means nothing if you can't get it to the ground!

I'm sure with a tranny build, cai and lift pump I'll see much better results.

I will also contact banks and ask them some questions.

From what I've read, efi live is the way to go for tuning, which makes sense, what would be better than a 100% customized to your truck tune? Canned tuning can be efficient too I think, but only if you do the exact mods that were used by the developers of that tuner (e.i. Like you being told the bigger banks tunes needing supporting mods). I definitely think my truck would perform better as is with efi live over the banks. However I got a good deal on the six gun so I will stick with it for now.

Uncle Jesse

Jul 28, 2014
My local GM dealer's diesel tech can tune the duramax, 100 HP is the max that he goes on the stock tranny, as far as I know it's a GM tuning set up that he uses, that's about all I know. My brother has an LLY that blew the head gaskets so he had them repair it and do an egr delete on it at the same time (he already had cai and 4" catless exhaust) and Joel told him he had to reprogram it for egr delete, so my brother had him do the 100 HP tune to it at the same time. I'm not sure what Joel would tell me about it if I asked, but I can find out. I do know it is slightly customizable, so it's not a "canned" tune but it's not efi live either.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
My local GM dealer's diesel tech can tune the duramax, 100 HP is the max that he goes on the stock tranny, as far as I know it's a GM tuning set up that he uses, that's about all I know. My brother has an LLY that blew the head gaskets so he had them repair it and do an egr delete on it at the same time (he already had cai and 4" catless exhaust) and Joel told him he had to reprogram it for egr delete, so my brother had him do the 100 HP tune to it at the same time. I'm not sure what Joel would tell me about it if I asked, but I can find out. I do know it is slightly customizable, so it's not a "canned" tune but it's not efi live either.

So your local GM dealer installs performance tunes AND does EGR deletes? I've never heard of such a thing. Could be true, but I know you wouldn't find a dealer around here to do that.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
So your local GM dealer installs performance tunes AND does EGR deletes? I've never heard of such a thing. Could be true, but I know you wouldn't find a dealer around here to do that.

We deleted my 15 at the dealership...:hug:

It was a Saturday though... Lol...

Uncle Jesse

Jul 28, 2014
Well we do things different here in Alberta, lol. Joel does the tuning, I believe he has his own "company" so to speak and simply "contracts" through the dealership, which he also works for full time. Most dealerships around here do a lot, lift kits, rims and tires, exhaust systems, custom bumpers etc. you can pick out a brand new bone stock truck and have them deck out it all out right there before you drive it off the lot. I know that they also do egr, dpf and urea deletes too, and most honour your warranty if they do it.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Well we do things different here in Alberta, lol. Joel does the tuning, I believe he has his own "company" so to speak and simply "contracts" through the dealership, which he also works for full time. Most dealerships around here do a lot, lift kits, rims and tires, exhaust systems, custom bumpers etc. you can pick out a brand new bone stock truck and have them deck out it all out right there before you drive it off the lot. I know that they also do egr, dpf and urea deletes too, and most honour your warranty if they do it.

Wow, that's crazy!
Sure most any dealership stateside will add accessories, lifts etc...
But there's not one that I know of that will do ANYTHING to the emissions systems...in fact, if you trade in a rig without the emission compliance systems, the dealerships around me would take the cost it would take to replace them off your trade in value, and they can't legally sell the vehicle until the emission system is complete...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm sure the Banks uses your speedometer/odometer readings to calculate the 1/4 mile times. Because of that, if you spin your tires, it is going to make the timing off because even though your odometer thinks you went a 1/4 of a mile, you may have been a couple of hundred feet short of that depending on how much they spun. That's probably why the 2wd times are faster.

Uncle Jesse

Jul 28, 2014
Maybe, it does do a speed correction though (not when testing 1/4 mile time) so you can see how much your speedo is out with bigger/smaller tires different gear ratio's and can be used as a GPS also. You can't correct the trucks speedo but you can see how much it's out.

Don't quote me on the emissions stuff, but my brother had the dealership remove his egr, it's past warranty so they don't care, but I have been told that they will do the rest if you ask. Our biggest advantage is we don't have a place called California that's trying to be a green queen and have restrictive emissions standards and force them on everyone else, lol. Another issues is our extreme temps here, the last thing you need in -40 is faulty urea system. I think the dealerships realized guys are going to do it anyways so they might as well make the money instead of the other shops. Maybe were just more redneck around Edmonton area, mostly farmers and oil patch out here, so not to many greenies, lol.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im going to have to do some checking with my nephew and his fiance at GM Powertrain about this "GM tuning". Sounds sort of "yeah, right" to me.

I also do not believe for one second that a dealer is allowed to remove GM emissions equipment, even "on the side". There are big government fines and penalties if they get caught.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
The Ford dealership here in town deleted my previous bosses 6.4 but I believe it was a side job ( done in their shop but off the books )

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
There was a dodge dealer a 100 miles from me that carried H@S stuff and was deleting new dodges if you wanted when they were sold LOL I told a guy that had his done there that there was no way chrysler was ok with that and that if they found out I bet they would take the dealer status away. I work with two guys that had theres done there. needless to say they aren't doing it anymore.