LB7: Intercooler?

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Whats the verdict on aftermarket intercoolers? Who likes what and who doesnt like a certain brand. Intercooler will be used with s468 and s483 compounds

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Banks uses cast end tanks, no welds to blow out. We ran one to get started in 2012 and then passed it around to another 2.6 truck that blew out water to air to get him by. They are tough. I just read about mishimoto's 6.4 radiators failing, every last one just about. So wouldnt trust their i/c either.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Banks uses cast end tanks, no welds to blow out. We ran one to get started in 2012 and then passed it around to another 2.6 truck that blew out water to air to get him by. They are tough. I just read about mishimoto's 6.4 radiators failing, every last one just about. So wouldnt trust their i/c either.

looks like there 1270 with both boost tubes. Thats not a bad deal in my book.

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa

this is why they fail. i think mishimoto stuff is ok, i have a intercooler for my turbo sbc and it is well made imo.6.4L RADIATOR FAILURE - POWERSTROKE: http://youtu.be/mDdrvl9TExI

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
My GMC had the MPI 366/480 twins with a banks intercooler and didn't need their hotside tubes, but it also came with new tubes with the MPI kit.

Mishimoto

Jul 25, 2013

Figured we would chime in here! The 6.4L radiator is an interesting animal, you may have read about issues popping up throughout various enthusiast groups. The 6.4L Powerstroke has a variety of issues effecting radiator lifespan, which has been apparent with both the stock radiator and aftermarket aluminum radiators. A huge percentage of our customers are having fantastic success running our radiator. That being said, a small portion of customers are continuing to have repeated failures even after switching to our product. We have been honoring our lifetime waranty for these folks, and we are investigating additional ways to improve radiator lifespan. It seems as though a significant amount of chassis flex is moving into the radiator support which is causing frequent failure. Our team has several prototype units on daily driven trucks in order to test the impacts of our most recent design changes.

Now, back on topic to the LB7! Our cooler features durable, cast end tanks mated to a 2" thick core. We have a full engineering report showing the performance gains from our cooler on a mildly upgraded truck. You can expect equal or better gains on a truck with the modifications you have planned.

Engineering Report: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-62631657248580/MMINT-DMAX-01XX-Engineering-Report.pdf

We would be happy to answer any additional questions about our cooler. Be sure to check with our vendors for the best available pricing.

Thanks
-John

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ive installed Mishimoto intercoolers and was super impressed with the quality and fit.

Just because there were some issues with their 6.4 radiators (which looks like its not even really a Mishimoto issue...its a ford chassis/radiator mount design issue) doesnt mean all their stuff is shit. Ive heard of tons of Dmax guys running 80+ psi through their Mishimoto intercoolers with zero failures.

And I love how the Mishimoto is designed so it moves "forward"...other aftermarket intercoolers move "backward" and push the radiator and fan shroud closer to the engine. I hate how its basically impossible to get the fan off with my CG&J intercooler, and the fan shroud looks so dumb with that gap in the core support now. From what I understand, the BD is designed the same way (moves towards the fan)...obviously not a problem if you're running e-fans, but a PITA otherwise.

Ben

Mishimoto

Jul 25, 2013
Ive installed Mishimoto intercoolers and was super impressed with the quality and fit.

Just because there were some issues with their 6.4 radiators (which looks like its not even really a Mishimoto issue...its a ford chassis/radiator mount design issue) doesnt mean all their stuff is shit. Ive heard of tons of Dmax guys running 80+ psi through their Mishimoto intercoolers with zero failures.

And I love how the Mishimoto is designed so it moves "forward"...other aftermarket intercoolers move "backward" and push the radiator and fan shroud closer to the engine. I hate how its basically impossible to get the fan off with my CG&J intercooler, and the fan shroud looks so dumb with that gap in the core support now. From what I understand, the BD is designed the same way (moves towards the fan)...obviously not a problem if you're running e-fans, but a PITA otherwise.

Ben

Thanks for the feedback Ben! Always great to hear. :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
have had no issues with my mishimoto intercooler. been on for just over a year and leak free.