Info wanted: how many miles on your ovals, what do you think?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Bumping this back up. Curious as to what everyone saw for oil consumption in the fist 10k miles?

This truck had about 2,000 miles on it with multiple break in oil changes. (1 hour, 500miles 1500, miles then went on a 4800 mile run on a fresh oil change. Was a low enough when he got home for the low oil light to come on. Added a quart and brought it to me for an oil change. I just checked it after a 2000 mile trip and it doesn't seem to have used much this trip.

Normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Bumping this back up. Curious as to what everyone saw for oil consumption in the fist 10k miles?

This truck had about 2,000 miles on it with multiple break in oil changes. (1 hour, 500miles 1500, miles then went on a 4800 mile run on a fresh oil change. Was a low enough when he got home for the low oil light to come on. Added a quart and brought it to me for an oil change. I just checked it after a 2000 mile trip and it doesn't seem to have used much this trip.

Normal?

Sounds like the cylinder finish was not right or the was too much idle time when first few starts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Sounds like the cylinder finish was not right or the was too much idle time when first few starts.

So expect this to be an ongoing problem? Builder is reputable, I can't remember how much I let it idle when I got it going

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It will probably clear up. If it went 7 thousand and was still doing this I might get concerned. Do some boost launches and run it a little to help load the rings. If you baby it then it will take much longer to clear up. Do you have blow by from the fill cap?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It will probably clear up. If it went 7 thousand and was still doing this I might get concerned. Do some boost launches and run it a little to help load the rings. If you baby it then it will take much longer to clear up. Do you have blow by from the fill cap?

Havnt noticed it having blow by. Can promise it's not being babied though. The trip it just got back from was 35k loaded one way and empty 40' trailer on the way back.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That should have helped a lot in itself.

Never did on mine.

I finally got mine to set by running the race tune and hammering it when it was cold (well 90* ambient temp).

I had 10k on my motor and still used 3 quarts of oil in 2000 miles. After a few times on the race tune when cold, it finally started seating the rings.

I babies it for the first 500 miles, then went on a towing trip at constant rpms. That all equals a not so good ring break in depending on who you talk to. I believe it had something to do with it though I can't prove it

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Never did on mine.

I finally got mine to set by running the race tune and hammering it when it was cold (well 90* ambient temp).

I had 10k on my motor and still used 3 quarts of oil in 2000 miles. After a few times on the race tune when cold, it finally started seating the rings.

I babies it for the first 500 miles, then went on a towing trip at constant rpms. That all equals a not so good ring break in depending on who you talk to. I believe it had something to do with it though I can't prove it

Everyone has different break in procedures. I just finished my build. Been reading and reading. Unsure of how to do it

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Everyone has different break in procedures. I just finished my build. Been reading and reading. Unsure of how to do it
Warm it up, drive it a couple miles to check for leaks and go beat on it, that's how I've always seen it done. You want to vary rpms while under load too.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I'm coming up on 20,000miles on mine... I'm down to about 1qt burnt per ~10,0000 mile. If I have alot of high ssil heavy loads and hills it will use bout a quart more over 10k service interval
Oil consumption dropped drastically after 5-6k

X2 get warmed up to operating temp.. Check for leaks.. Put a good load on it

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I am at about 800 miles on mine sitting at about 11mpg, but still beating on it as I drive to try and speed up break in process. Drove it empty for about 300 miles, hooked my 32ft goose neck, with my 1/2ton ecsb dd on it it for roughly 50 miles. Then drug it 5 hrs north of me for a dyno tune session. I think and hope it will get better, however I didn't build it for fuel mileage...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I put about 100 miles on mine normal driving. Then started getting aggressive with it from there on out. 250 miles in, she was making 1/4 mile passes. I use absolutely zero oil and has zero blow by. Even after 80 psi boost runs, no blow by.