Info wanted: how many miles on your ovals, what do you think?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
im running 100overs, dual lbz pumps, billet 75/87/.9. i didnt think 13.2 was to bad with a big single in town driving. if i had it to do again i would go to since it is a daily driver. All depends on what you are trying to do.

Naw, I didn't think it was "terrible" for a big sig in town, and I figured that was the # represented! I was just wondering if this was a previously "known" set up that got oval bowl pistons, and you had previous economy data to compare to

I'm trying to establish if there's an economy loss or gain by using these pistons, before I use them in my build;)

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Going from stock to built is the most common situation. So there are almost no Apples to Apples comparisons. My guess is you will lose a little economy.

Built to built, they seem to be about the same. FWIW.

I am curious about the compression comment. Raising the compression will not improve your fuel economy. (personal experience) Just make it rattle more.

Unfortunately, Malibu had huge ring gaps in his build that seriously impacted his economy. He was sooting up his oil very quickly with the blow by and in effect, negating any bonus, or fair comparison. (my opinion) His experience is not typical.

Regardless, I am personally interested in hearing all feedback, good or bad. I am sure these pistons have some short comings and want to know. Don't let me posting here deter you from posting your experiences.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
pistons

I plan on daily driving, I am running large compounds, not sure if that matters.

im running 100overs, dual lbz pumps, billet 75/87/.9. i didnt think 13.2 was to bad with a big single in town driving. if i had it to do again i would go to 16.5-1 comp since it is a daily driver. All depends on what you are trying to do.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
my motor was stock to begin with so no data to compare to.

Alrighty, well, glad it's running well for ya:thumb:

Now, I'm assuming the same diesel principle of "it gets more efficient as it breaks in" still applies with a built motor, yeah?

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Alrighty, well, glad it's running well for ya:thumb:

Now, I'm assuming the same diesel principle of "it gets more efficient as it breaks in" still applies with a built motor, yeah?

I think so, we kept having to pull fueling from it all year as it kept getting faster and faster as it got more and more broken it.

I went 16:1 with my forged pistons as I think the higher compression is a bit easier to make power on and I didn't want to go into the 15s

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I drive mine all the time, mine is high compression though, over 17:1. It is definitely more rattly than it would be at a lower comp, but it isn't bad. This build had a few miles on it before I bought it and I have put about 3k on it since.

Definitely can handle some power too.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Sorry I just saw this... I put ~75k on the pistons. Only problem I saw was lower mpg.. But as fingers stated it wasn't the tightest well control build..

As some may have seen.. I just recently holed another OEM piston this time in my LMM.

New pistons are going to be 18:1 versions and.. I plan on building the engine as close to "new spec" as I can.. OEM ptwc is .015-.02" mahle says new ptwc is .022-.025" and going to shoot for ~".025 quench.. With the goal of efficiency/mpg. This will not be a HP build as 400-450hp has proven to move everything as a safe reasonable freeway speed..

Bout as close to back to back comparison as one could do.. Good chance I'll put new vavle springs in the heads.. I. Sure the OEM are marginal at best with 222k on them

Last edited:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I'm running 16:1 ovals in mine. No valve reliefs. My truck has never gotten good fuel mileage and so far hasn't seemed to change any with the ovals over the stockers. Dynoed 1032hp the other day. They daily drive just fine.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have around 7,000 miles on my 16.5:1 oval casts. I drove it from Louisville KY, to Evan up in Massachusetts. Averaged 19.6-19.7 hand calculated mpg around 75mph most of the way and it was -20° when I left my house and never broke above 0° on the way up. It was a 750 mile nonstop other than fuel trip.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I have had mine in since early 2013. I have around 55k miles on them. They have been out of the motor twice. Broke crank end of 2013. rebuilt again early 2015 because motor felt funny. Pistons look good as new.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
What are you shooting for on quench?

Probably quench will be what ever A gasket is thick. Shooting for .025-.030 range.. Valve springs have 222k on them and I current have no way to test seat pressure.. I'm worried about the valves floating as possible hitting pistons on a loaded 5-4 shift..
Less dead air in the engine the better off it is
Love to put a Hamilton camshaft and valve spring along with dhd 3" y bridge and intake in.. But that's another ~2200.00 in parts and transmission is still stock..

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I make most anything the customers want compression wise, but I don't recommend anything over 16.5 CR. I'm not worried about the pistons as much as the bottom end of the customer's engine.

Mine is 17.5 and I am looking forward to some day recutting them to 16.5 CR.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
40-50,000 miles on mine. Dynoed 982hp, decent number of pulls, twins with dual fueler/125% over injectors, plenty of dyno days, etc.

Ran great, went with another set of oval bowls for my next build.