Industrial Injection Screw-in injector cups

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Hello all,

After a couple of weekends tearing down my new project truck I've discovered what I think is the root of all its current issues. Pretty certain the no.1 injector cup took a crap. See photo below.

After doing some research it looks like this is a common evil on LB7 trucks.

Then I found this Motor Trend article:

Here's the related product:

Now $1,120 for injector cups is a hard pill to swallow..... but I'm considering it for the sake of never having these cup issues again.

What are y'alls thoughts on these?
5a052dd5729c610b314243712d87f9ad.jpg
68961109d3040926a12b61db9436cceb.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bdsankey

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Can cups be damaged removing the injectors, yep.
Can the loctite seal or o-rings fail, yep.
Can they be installed incorrectly, yep.
But they rarely, if ever, fail on their own.

Just went thru this with another person new to LB7s. All he had to do was clean the sealing surface in the heads and reseal the cups.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
unless I'm not seeing what you are trying to show, your photo looks more like the crush washer failed not the cup. either improper torque, reusing the hold down bolts or the hold down bracket bent.

if the cup sealing surface failed, which is what the threaded ones try and prevent, the combustion gases get into coolant and/or coolant gets into the cylinder causing symptoms similar to a blown head gasket

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
unless I'm not seeing what you are trying to show, your photo looks more like the crush washer failed not the cup. either improper torque, reusing the hold down bolts or the hold down bracket bent.

if the cup sealing surface failed, which is what the threaded ones try and prevent, the combustion gases get into coolant and/or coolant gets into the cylinder causing symptoms similar to a blown head gasket

I agree, the injector on the right looks like the copper washer failed and covered the entire body on soot/gasses. If the hold down/hold down bolt is compromised it could cause the cup to lift also but neither the cup/hold down/hold down bolt are pictured.

If the cup leaked it may be visible from lifting but we may never see a bent hold down/stretched hold down bolt with the naked eye as it won't take much to cause the smallest leak.

@Delta.Speed not to say you can't do screw in cups, I just don't think it's worth it for your usage or 99% of people's usage. The only reason I did them is a friend of mine is a machinist and he made a batch of cups so they were extremely cheap.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
we need to see the sealing surface of the cup and the sealing surface inside the head. I have seen pitted sealing surfaces in the heads causing cup sealing issues. beyond that, if its all cleaned and set correctly, ive never seen the need for the II cups unless you are going for big power.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
My machine shop ended up doing the thread in cups in my heads. He said cavitation can affect the sealing surface and they don't always seal up after years of use. He said the thread in ones are a lot less likely to have a failed seal. I didnt really want to have to tear it apart again.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My machine shop ended up doing the thread in cups in my heads. He said cavitation can affect the sealing surface and they don't always seal up after years of use. He said the thread in ones are a lot less likely to have a failed seal. I didnt really want to have to tear it apart
what did the shop do to the cavitated surface? the threads are really only to hold the cups down but if the surface is pitted then the screws aren't going to solve that

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
good question. I didnt ask. Correct me if im wrong. The factory ones rely on a red Loctite type seal between the lower part of the cup and the head? If so, cutting threads into that would eliminate pretty much all of the rough surface? I haven't really studied that system much honestly.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
good question. I didnt ask. Correct me if im wrong. The factory ones rely on a red Loctite type seal between the lower part of the cup and the head? If so, cutting threads into that would eliminate pretty much all of the rough surface? I haven't really studied that system much honestly.
the sealant goes here
merchant-10014-2.jpg

vs location of threads
152772246~01.jpg

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
ah interesting. IDK than. Maybe the loctite you put on the threads seals the combustion off from that area to help prevent it from reaching the tapered area.

My local machine shop dude has rebuilt hundreds of Duramax engines since 2002, so I wasnt going to argue with him.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
ah interesting. IDK than. Maybe the loctite you put on the threads seals the combustion off from that area to help prevent it from reaching the tapered area.

My local machine shop dude has rebuilt hundreds of Duramax engines since 2002, so I wasnt going to argue with him.
that would be my guess as well. in this photo you can clearly see the pitting. the threaded portion with sealant should take care of any leaking there
C9B47AA4-BE29-4D59-8FB8-A8DB789F64EC.jpeg

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
Better mark those some kind of way, or the next mechanic trying to replace a cup, might make a mess trying to get it out.

Reactions: TheBac

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
Installed, if they are not marked differently how would you know? Look at the pictures again.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The screw in cups all have some sort of keying on the top so they can be screwed in. That should be pretty obvious to someone who is aware that screw in cups are a thing.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LBZ

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
there is a special tool that engages four slots in the top of the cup to tighten them. those slots should be easy to recognize

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I’ve never seen a set installed. How does one identify which is in there?

These other guys got it covered, but as they said there's notches in the top for the installation tool to engage. Reminds you of an output shaft or axle nut