LML Indirect injector labor hours

Jhlee

Oct 6, 2018
I have a 2012 3500 DRW GMC with 161k miles and the indirect injector is needing to be replaced as per a GM dealership. The labor hours they are quoting is 4.1 hours at 140.00 an hour. Is that reasonable?

I did contact GMC for any goodwill assistance they might provide as there is a bulletin to replace the injector but is limited to 10 years or 120k miles. The first person I talked with today, Saturday, declined any assistance for all, 50/50 split or splitting parts and labor.

John

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Prodemand is showing 1.2 hours for standard labor, and Alldata is showing 1.3 hours. Both show .9 for warranty labor. I can't imagine dealership book time is more than 3 times what those two independent industry standards are showing. Is that just for replacing the injector or are they adding labor for diagnostics or anything else?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Prodemand is showing 1.2 hours for standard labor, and Alldata is showing 1.3 hours. Both show .9 for warranty labor. I can't imagine dealership book time is more than 3 times what those two independent industry standards are showing. Is that just for replacing the injector or are they adding labor for diagnostics or anything else?

That seems really low. I think last time I did one alldata gave me 4.5ish to r&r a passenger side injector on a lml. Hell. I think fuel filter alone is .75

Also shop rates across the country vary. We are 100.00 a hour. After hours or weekends are a lot more.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That seems really low. I think last time I did one alldata gave me 4.5ish to r&r a passenger side injector on a lml. Hell. I think fuel filter alone is .75

Also shop rates across the country vary. We are 100.00 a hour. After hours or weekends are a lot more.

This is the injector on the valve cover with the nozzle running down to the down pipe. Seemed a little low to me too, but that's how book rates go sometimes (book on LLY and LBZ injectors is something like 4.8 hours for all 8, but LMM is 10.6 or something like that). I can't imagine both would be off that much from GM's book rate.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
This is the injector on the valve cover with the nozzle running down to the down pipe. Seemed a little low to me too, but that's how book rates go sometimes (book on LLY and LBZ injectors is something like 4.8 hours for all 8, but LMM is 10.6 or something like that). I can't imagine both would be off that much from GM's book rate.

Ahhh. Misread the indirect part. Maybe they have some diagnostics involved. But still a little high.

Jhlee

Oct 6, 2018
They do have some diagnostics involved but not 2 extra hours worth from the description the service advisor gave me. Tech forced a regen, drove and duplicated white smoke on acceleration from a stop and from slowing down and resuming speed. Motor cycle riders are not too happy when they are behind me at a stop light when the truck is going through a regen and I do not blame them.
Can someone provide a screen capture or photo of the labor time from Mitchell, chilton, alldata, GM warranty or any other commonly used labor reference showing labor hours as the advisor would not show me the time? so I can at least negotiate the labor hours. This is for the DPF injector or also called indirect injector. I am good for reasonable time and diagnostics but do I really need ky jelly when I take it in for repair?

John

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Find a different shop. Most diesel places are 100 an hour. I would take it to a performance shop. I took my old lly to a gm dealership due to a stuck unison ring. Long story short i had an extended warranty. I told them what was wrong with it. They had it for 3 weeks and couldnt figure out the problem which i already told them exactly what it was. Being ase certified means nothing for the most part. Post your location and I am sure we can help you find a shop with a good reputation.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If the injector is relatively in plain sight, is it that hard to DIY that you have to take it to a shop?

fc8464

Jun 26, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

Related Documents Service Manual: Indirect Fuel Injector Replacement

2015 GMC Truck Sierra - 4WD | C/K FST GLC | https://gsi.ext.gm.com/gsi/showPubServiceInfoTypes.do| Document ID: 3624919
4022230 Indirect Fuel Injector Replacement
Effective Date: Oct 1, 2018​
LABOR CODE: 4022230 Includes: Diesel Particulate Filter DPF Regeneration EnableBaseLABOR TIME: 1.0Diagnosis Time (Excluding US/Canada) - You may claim up to the allowable labor hours depending on actual time to perform electrical diagnosis ADD TIME: 0.0-0.3Diagnosis Time (US/Canada only) - You may claim up to the allowable labor hours depending on actual time to perform electrical diagnosis ADD TIME: 0.0-1.0​

Jhlee

Oct 6, 2018
I am between Austin and San Antonio. I have plans to move my 5th wheel on Wen plus work so I do not have time between now and then plus pushing 60 it is not as easy to climb around and under the truck anymore. Found that out 3 months ago changing all fluids and replacing the four shocks. If I could get them to charge Michelle labor i would be happy. I did call up some other outlying dealers and they are all at 140 an hour also. I just cannot imagine the rate being that high not to mention the price one pays for a manufacturers logo.

Thank you all very much for your responses.

John

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
For a dealer $140/hr sounds about right. I needed to flash my serial in a new tcm and didn't have the means to do it and both dealers near me wanted 140-145/hr.