IHI Turbo Rebuild

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I was doing some research on a few sites trying to get prices on rebuild kits. Apex Boost has a kit too. http://www.apexboost.com/kitprice.html

I have a couple Garretts and IHI's here to give some TLC to:D

That's the other company I was trying to remember the other day :eek:. Thanks for the reminder. The guys at midwest turbo connection have been great so I can't complain.
I'll have to try apex out next time I need a rebuild kit.

blk smoke lb7
Porting/polishing is the fun part :thumb::D

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks Henry :thumb:
I had forgotten about those guys to :mad:

All this information will be very helpful for those wanting to rebuild their own turbos so thanks everybody for contributing.

Did you get those injector lines Henry?

Yellowchevy

Yes I got the lines a few days ago.

Also remember to do the below when doing this to your turbo or you will need to send the shaft and some parts out.

Note: Index the bearing, shaft and compressor wheel, and make sure it goes back on the exact way it came of, to ensure a balanced assembly as it came from the factory.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Yes I got the lines a few days ago.

Also remember to do the below when doing this to your turbo or you will need to send the shaft and some parts out.

Note: Index the bearing, shaft and compressor wheel, and make sure it goes back on the exact way it came of, to ensure a balanced assembly as it came from the factory.

Glad you got them. Sorry for the delay.

That's good to know, I was unaware of things having to be indexed a certain way.
Thanks,

Yellowchevy

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Being people have been asking about LLY turbos figured I'd throw up a few pictures of the LLY I recently finished.

Biggest thing about the LLY turbo I noticed is that it was easier to rebuild than the IHI; no snap rings or pressed in washers.
My comments in the pictures should help.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Rebuild 1, Mark up.jpg
    LLY Rebuild 1, Mark up.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 94
  • LLY Rebuild 2, Mark up.jpg
    LLY Rebuild 2, Mark up.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 83
  • LLY Rebuild 3, Mark up.jpg
    LLY Rebuild 3, Mark up.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 85
  • LLY Rebuild 4.jpg
    LLY Rebuild 4.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 95

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
Being people have been asking about LLY turbos figured I'd throw up a few pictures of the LLY I recently finished.

Biggest thing about the LLY turbo I noticed is that it was easier to rebuild than the IHI; no snap rings or pressed in washers.
My comments in the pictures should help.

Yellowchevy

Yellowchevy, where did you get your rebuild kit from in photo #4?
I have one but it looks a bit less complete than yours.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Yellowchevy, where did you get your rebuild kit from in photo #4?
I have one but it looks a bit less complete than yours.

I got it from Midwest turbo connections out of Wisconsin. If you want to snap a picture and post it up I can tell you the difference/what you're missing compared to the one I got.

Yellowchevy

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
Mine was missing some of the 12 point bolts (only 5 in the kit), had no snap rings, missing some Viton seals, etc and it was from G-pop Shop so I may need to try a different kit for another turbo I'm rebuilding now (next one will be an LLY). Those Midwest kits look quite a bit more expensive though. I was working on an LMM charger and it seemed like the thrust collar was also a different diameter but no idea if I just didn't ask for the right kit (I thought they would all have similar internals on LLY/LBZ/LMM turbos.....difference just in 60mm vs 63mm compressor wheels). Will need to check the specs on the LLY and see how that compares as well.

Last edited:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Mine was missing some of the 12 point bolts (only 5 in the kit), had no snap rings, missing some Viton seals, etc and it was from G-pop Shop so I may need to try a different kit for another turbo I'm rebuilding now (next one will be an LLY). Those Midwest kits look quite a bit more expensive though. I was working on an LMM charger and it seemed like the thrust collar was also a different diameter but no idea if I just didn't ask for the right kit (I thought they would all have similar internals on LLY/LBZ/LMM turbos.....difference just in 60mm vs 63mm compressor wheels). Will need to check the specs on the LLY and see how that compares as well.

12 point bolts, are you talking about a LLY turbo?
The LLY kit vs. the IHI kit are much different being it's a different manufacture. The LLY turbo's are easier to rebuild than the IHI's.
The IHI rebuild kit is around $150 shipped and $170 for the LLY shipped from midwest; but it has everything in it you need.

Yellowchevy

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il

so im guessing the lly has the 60mm wheel, and the lbz/lmm has the 63mm wheel? if so, could you rebuild an lbz/lmm trubo, and put the lly exhaust housing on? or could you just put an lbz/lmm wheel and front cover on an lly charger?

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
12 point bolts, are you talking about a LLY turbo?
The LLY kit vs. the IHI kit are much different being it's a different manufacture. The LLY turbo's are easier to rebuild than the IHI's.
The IHI rebuild kit is around $150 shipped and $170 for the LLY shipped from midwest; but it has everything in it you need.

Yellowchevy

All the VVT turbos (LLY/LBZ/LMM) use the 12 point bolts on the compressor section (my kit just didn't have enough to replace them all). I'm not working on any IHI turbos at all so I'm just looking at the VVT rebuild kits and what all is included from each of the different offerings. The kit from G-pop Shop was around $40 less but also had a few less items (all the critical parts like oil seals, shaft/thrust bearings, bearing spacer, etc were there though). Would be nice to find a good quality kit for under $100 shipped but I haven't seen one yet.

so im guessing the lly has the 60mm wheel, and the lbz/lmm has the 63mm wheel? if so, could you rebuild an lbz/lmm trubo, and put the lly exhaust housing on? or could you just put an lbz/lmm wheel and front cover on an lly charger?

Other way around......LLY flows the most due to the 63mm wheel (4094 has a 68mm wheel for reference) but the LBZ/LMM spool a bit faster since they are smaller. I wanted to see if the LMM spooled better for towing (my main application for this truck) so that's why I was looking to rebuild one and do the swap. When I do I will then rebuild the LLY turbo and then decide if I want to swap it back again depending on how much top end power I've lost in the process.

LMM (07.5-10) - comp wheel 60.7 mm
LBZ (06-07) - comp wheel 60.98 mm
LLY (04.5-05) - comp wheel 63.4 mm
LB7 (01-04) - comp wheel 59.9 mm

Last edited:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
For the IHI I got their RHC7 major rebuild kit. You could try some of the other sites people posted on this thread too.
I believe apex sells the same turbo rebuild kit but you'd have to call and check.

If you buy from apex the kit number is RHG6 not RHC7. I ordered the RHC7 thinking it would be the same as the one you got from midwest and it is not.

It was completly my fault but they were cool about it and sent me another kit right out and told me just to send the other back within 14 days. The right kit was complete and everything worked and was sized write the only diff was the stuff that had torx heads on the turbo the kit came with allen heads.

Thanks for the write up. I dont think I would have tried this without it and after doing it and seeing how easy it was I would not hesitate on doing it again.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
If you buy from apex the kit number is RHG6 not RHC7. I ordered the RHC7 thinking it would be the same as the one you got from midwest and it is not.

It was completely my fault but they were cool about it and sent me another kit right out and told me just to send the other back within 14 days. The right kit was complete and everything worked and was sized write the only diff was the stuff that had Torx heads on the turbo the kit came with Allen heads.

Thanks for the write up. I don't think I would have tried this without it and after doing it and seeing how easy it was I would not hesitate on doing it again.

I called Apex up and had them send me a kit also. I am part way through the re-assembly, just waiting on paint to dry on the compressor cover to finish the install tomorrow.

So far I have noticed the Apex kit I got also had the longer bolts YellowChevy pointed out to hold the Compressor Cover on. It looks like the hole and threading is deep enough so I am going to see if the torque up tomorrow. I also noticed my thrust washer didn't have a flat on it. I decided to take a file and add a little flat.

Everything else seems to be going together well though.

I did get what looks like a cardboard type gasket, I assume to go between the turbo and intake inlet pipe also. I have had this off several times and my truck never had the gasket there. Since I got it I will probably install it when I install this turbo.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
Finished rebuilding the rest of the turbo tonight. The longer bolts worked with no problem for me. Everything tightened up with no issue.

Not sure if I did something wrong or if I just picked up a bad spare turbo to rebuild. I have everything together but it seems really loose. Anybody else experience this? I can wiggle the end of the turbo shaft and the new Batmo Wheel I installed can make contact with the housing.

I guess I will be pulling this all apart again and double checking it. I don't think I could have done anything wrong but it is worth a look. Might have to try swapping a few parts back and forth with the current turbo on my truck to see if something is bad I guess.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Pour some oil in the top and spin it slowly as you pour it in then see if your slop goes away,it should tighten up to where theres no slop till the oil runs out of the bearing again.