IHI Turbo Rebuild

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
In my search for the internal workings of the IHI turbo I never came across any threads on IHI rebuilds so I figured I’d post up my rebuild experience/steps I took. With all DIY threads theres other ways of performing the work, this worked best for me. I’d also like to add that I’m turbo dumb so the wording I use maybe incorrect but I’ll try my best in getting it right.

This is the turbo I used in my experimenting with porting and polishing, not pretty but nothing some cleaning won’t fix or a grinder, haha. Picture #1
picture.php

First thing I did was remove the compressor housing, removing the 6 – bolts on the back side followed by rotating it clockwise to break the RTV seal free, 12mm socket. I also removed the E-clip from the waste gate shaft to remove the waste gate assembly. Picture #2
picture.php

Here’s a back shot of the cover so you can see the 6 bolts I’m talking about. Picture #3
picture.php

Now with the cover removed you can take off the compressor wheel using a 13mm socket. Remember the shaft threads are reversed so a clockwise rotation removes the nut and counter-clockwise screws the nut back on. To keep the shaft from spinning you'll need a 12 point 14mm socket on the exhaust side of the shaft. I resorted to using channel locks to remove my compressor wheel due to it being stuck, which destroyed the wheel. Picture #4 & #5
picture.php

picture.php

Once you’ve removed the compressor wheel it’s time to unbolt the back side of the compressor cover using a T-20 torx bit (not 100% sure at the moment). On this turbo they came off fairly easy but the other one I did were tight; be sure to push in tight on the socket so the torx bit doesn't fall out of the bolt head when removing. Picture #6
picture.php

As you can see the cover can only be positioned/bolted on one way. Make sure you clean the very center being thats where the oil drains back into the engine. Now with that removed it’s time to unbolt/remove the band clamp using a 10mm socket. Picture #7
picture.php

With the band clamp removed separate the center section from the exhaust housing. This isn't the easiest depending on how stubborn your turbo is. You can take a hammer and hit the drain flange to break the center section free from the exhaust housing but don't hit to hard or you’ll mushroom the flange. You also don’t want to hit very hard or you’ll bend or break the small dowel pin that positions the center section and exhaust flange. Picture #8
picture.php

When separating the center section from the exhaust housing be very careful to not have the exhaust wheel come in contact with the exhaust housing so you don’t wreck the wheel; I found spinning the shaft each time you move a good way to insure theres no wheel contact. Also be aware of the copper shims between the center section and exhaust housing; they’re delicate so remove them and place off to the side. Picture #9
picture.php

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Now that the center section is removed you can start disassembly. First thing you’ll do is pull the shaft out; there’s a brass washer/ring you barely see that causes some resistance but it’ll pop off. Picture #10
picture.php

Here’s a picture of what your turbo shaft may look like. Picture #11
picture.php

Next slide off the compressor side collar (notice the brass seal) followed by what I call a thrust washer cover. Again I’m no turbo expert if I use incorrect names of components. Be very careful in removing the small torx screws(T10), I stripped the heads on two of them but was able to get them out. To prevent this take a small punch or center punch and tap the recessed part of the screw heads. This will jar them loose so they’ll be removed much easier. Picture #12
picture.php

Underneath is a spacer between the thrust washer cover and thrust washer itself that will slide off. The thrust washer is pressed into place, for removal I flipped the center section over and tapped it out with a long skinny punch. Picture #13
picture.php

Before removing the thrust washer notice the flat spot it has and its orientation, on the bottom. I’m not 100% sure but I believe the flat spot is to drain excess oil to the drain line. Picture #14
picture.php

It’s hard/impossible to see in the picture but it’ll be clear once you flip it over where to place the punch. Picture #15
picture.php

With the thrust washer removed you can now pull out the first bearing. Without the thrust washer the bearing will fall right out. Behind the bearing is a snap ring that you don’t have to remove, it just holds the bearing in place. Picture #16
picture.php

Now with that side complete lets flip it over; the other side it very quick and easy.
You’re going to need a pair of snap ring pliers that have longer tips being the snap ring is recessed in. Picture #17
picture.php

With the snap ring removed you’ll be able to remove the bearing. Picture #18
picture.php

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Before installing all new components take the time to clean the inside and oil the parts up. It’s also a great time to give it a coat of paint if you so choose; I used VHT myself. Picture #19
picture.php

New bearing on the left and installed on the right. Picture #20 & #21
picture.php

picture.php

Finally once the bearings installed install the snap ring. Picture #22
picture.php

Heres a layout/order of the intake/compressor side of the center section assembly. Picture #23
picture.php

I won't do a step by step on assembly but I’ll go over some of what I thought were helpful hints.
When installing the thrust washer I used an 18mm socket to tap it into place, it worked great. Picture #24
picture.php

Another important thing is to make sure the flat spot in the thrust washer is pointing down. Picture #25
picture.php

For item number 5 make sure to install the new supplied steel/carbon washer. Picture #26
picture.php

Also don’t forget to install new steel/carbon washers on the turbine shaft. Picture #27
picture.php

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Make sure to look at all the bolts they give you in your rebuild kit. The ones used to bolt the back of the compressor cover on were too long so I had to use the original ones. Picture #28
picture.php

Don’t forget to put RTV on the back compressor piece when you bolt it on too. I used blue at first but wiped it off to use orange instead. Picture #29
picture.php

Last but not least make sure you’ve got a good comfortable work space and a wife that understands your carzyness/addiction!!! :D:rofl::eek: Picture #30
picture.php

Hopefully others will find this useful. If anything is unclear just ask.

Yellowchevy

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Nice write up. I'm curious if this is similar for a typical Borg Warner setup. Curious what this cost you and where you got the rebuild parts?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Nice write up. I'm curious if this is similar for a typical Borg Warner setup. Curious what this cost you and where you got the rebuild parts?

Thanks, It took me along time to do in that I would always get side tracked, haha.
This is the only turbo I have taken apart so far. I've got an LLY at home with the center section removed waiting to get ported/polished then rebuilt but I haven't looked at a Borg Warner one. I would think any journal bearing turbo would be similar but again I'm not an expert.

If someone wants to send me one I'd love to tear it apart and rebuild it. :D

I got a rebuild kit from Midwest Turbo Conections. It was $150 - $170 shipped to my door, I don't have the receipt in front of me.
A Garret rebuild for an LBZ or LLY is about $100. I looked a rebuilding an S472 a few months ago and that kit was about $100 to.
They many not be the cheapest but everything time I've called they were very helpful.

Yellowchevy

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've debated rebuilding my S366 by myself. Nice to see some inside pictures, even if its not the same. I still have my stock LB7 turbo so maybe if I get a wild hair I'll tear it apart.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Thanks, It took me along time to do in that I would always get side tracked, haha.
This is the only turbo I have taken apart so far. I've got an LLY at home with the center section removed waiting to get ported/polished then rebuilt but I haven't looked at a Borg Warner one. I would think any journal bearing turbo would be similar but again I'm not an expert.

If someone wants to send me one I'd love to tear it apart and rebuild it. :D

I got a rebuild kit from Midwest Turbo Conections. It was $150 - $170 shipped to my door, I don't have the receipt in front of me.
A Garret rebuild for an LBZ or LLY is about $100. I looked a rebuilding an S472 a few months ago and that kit was about $100 to.
They many not be the cheapest but everything time I've called they were very helpful.

Yellowchevy

the LLY/LBZ kit, is that the 1st gen on their site?

Thanks,
Tim

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
the LLY/LBZ kit, is that the 1st gen on their site?

Thanks,
Tim

For an LLY/LBZ you'll need a GT37VA service/rebuild kit. This is a powerstroke kit and they add 2 journal bearings to the kit for the duramax, GT3794VA.

Here's whats directly off my reciept.

Service Kit GT37VA(Powerstroke)
Garrett Journal Bearing - 448295-0014
Combination for GT3794VA (Duramax LLY 2004.5-2008)

The only thing you really need is the 2 journal bearings, 270 deg thrust washer, and the thrust washer spacer/holder looking item. I also used the square rubber gasket behind the back of the compressor housing. Rebuilding the LLY turbo was much easier than the IHI turbo.

I can post up a picture or 2 of what I'm talking about if that would help you out?

Yellowchevy

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Good of you to take the time and do that write up!:thumb:

There are a lot of LB7 owners out there that could give two shits about power and just want to get back on the road. Well done.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
For an LLY/LBZ you'll need a GT37VA service/rebuild kit. This is a powerstroke kit and they add 2 journal bearings to the kit for the duramax, GT3794VA.

Here's whats directly off my reciept.

Service Kit GT37VA(Powerstroke)
Garrett Journal Bearing - 448295-0014
Combination for GT3794VA (Duramax LLY 2004.5-2008)

The only thing you really need is the 2 journal bearings, 270 deg thrust washer, and the thrust washer spacer/holder looking item. I also used the square rubber gasket behind the back of the compressor housing. Rebuilding the LLY turbo was much easier than the IHI turbo.

I can post up a picture or 2 of what I'm talking about if that would help you out?

Yellowchevy

I was doing some research on a few sites trying to get prices on rebuild kits. Apex Boost has a kit too. http://www.apexboost.com/kitprice.html

I have a couple Garretts and IHI's here to give some TLC to:D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nicely done, YC. :thumb:

Although, rebuilding a turbo on our living room carpet would net me one thing, and one thing only......a few days outside in the dog's house. :roflmao:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Good of you to take the time and do that write up!:thumb:

There are a lot of LB7 owners out there that could give two shits about power and just want to get back on the road. Well done.
They can also do a little porting while in there to gain a few ponnies also:thumb:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Nicely done, YC. :thumb:

Although, rebuilding a turbo on our living room carpet would net me one thing, and one thing only......a few days outside in the dog's house. :roflmao:

My wife is extremely understanding when it comes to me working on pickup stuff and not having a garage. I've got to work on it some where :D:D

You should see our upstairs spare room, shelfs, tool boxes, and other good stuff.

Yellowchevy