Idling over night

kowclub173

May 7, 2012
As a hot shot trucker, I will be spending some nights in my truck this winter. Is their any ill side effects to idling over night? My truck is fully deleted. Iv heard of oil dilution from extended idle, but I'm not sure if that is a real concern? Thanks in advance!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
No problem with the D-max. Guy's in town and up in Prudhoe bay Alaska Idle trucks for days & weeks with no issues or fuel dilution... -70F+ up there sometimes:D

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The only thing I think you'd need to worry about is taking in exhaust emissions through the HVAC system...

I've got the EGR completely deleted on my truck with +60% injectors. It idles more than I'd like keeping the kiddos warm and otherwise happy when I'm running errands or working and one thing I've noticed during idle time is smelling the exhaust emissions, sometimes even with the Recirculated air mode on...

IMHO
Sleeping with the rig running should be something you take pretty seriously, as NOx/CO2 emissions essentially put you to sleep until you're poisioned by them and dead...

I know truckers do it everyday but I think their rigs have better filters incorporated into thier HVAC systems because the trucks are DESIGNED to be slept in...

I'm not positive sleeping in a Duramax powered Silverado is dangerous, but I'm not positive it isn't either...be careful out there!!!

Last edited:

D-MaxMike

Jul 26, 2014
Bonney Lake, Wa
How ironic, I was just talking to my neighbor about this type of situation. He takes off tue for a 35day road trip all over the U.S. He is gonna be sleeping in his dmax too, he bought 10ft of duct, I believe he said it was the ducting used for home dryers, he's gonna put it over his exhaust and run it straight up, hooked to some type of pole so the exhaust it shot up above the truck like big rigs. That way he doesn't have to keep the recir on we're the compressor would be coming on off.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
My truck idled for days while in north dakota working, no problem. Slept in our casing truck (Dmax powered Kodiak) plenty of times. Casing truck would never be shut off from the time we left the shop till we got back in subzero temps. Your good to go

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have slept in my truck plenty of times driving through Canadia... Never had a problem with the exhaust. If you have exhaust leaks under the hood then you might get some exhaust smell but I think you guys are being a little paranoid;)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm being a little paranoid, yeah...my truck isn't as clean as it used to be

Before the EGR delete I wouldn't have blinked an eye sleeping in the truck, even after he EGR delete I don't think I would've had an issue so much...

My truck is a little "different" now tho...the downturn exhaust isn't so great for idle time, and, with the 60's I need to have my tune's rail pressure @ idle turned up a bit cuz she hazes alot more than I'm comfortable with now...
Yes balance rate have been checked and they're great, injectors only have a few thousand mile on them

Lol
It's so bad I usually buy the coffee for the car behind me when I get a coffe at the drive thru cuz I feel bad for them, good thing I finally got around to making the request for the tuning adjustment, but I have been hitting my quota for a free coffe allot sooner than normal
Lmao
Sometimes I'm just a lazy ass tho

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Iv tuned as few trucks with 45s and 60s, seems that rp only needs to be raised a smidge if any. My old lb7 I never raised it and it was fine. Every truck seems different. Who's injectors you run?

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
If you are feeling paranoid about exhaust fumes try to park the truck so the exhaust is blown away from the truck. I've slept in my lmm with it 100% stock and tuned/ deleted and it was fine.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Everyone once in a while I'll nap in my hotshot.. Every night its a 50-60.00 hotel. Screw truck stop rift raft and timing bathroom functions vs time to walk/run to truck stop

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Oil dilution happens during a regen, if an idling lmm tries to regen constantly it will dilute the oil more than normal. But your deleted so your good...

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Any diesel idling for an extended time will dilute the oil from the cylinder wall washing down. It isn't that big of deal every now and again. You could put it in high idle if your worried about it. All of our truck idled a lot at my old job. They where mine and the others super offices that we spent most of the day in and it was a "safety" issues not to have a cool down area for our guys. Our oldest truck was an 06 Dmax that had 300K miles 10Khrs. (IIRC) and it ran great. A few guys hated to see that truck go when we got new trucks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I know if I was planning to sleep in my truck more regularily than not, I would have one of these installed in short order:
http://www.webasto.com/us/markets-products/truck/heating-systems/products/air-top-2000-st/
Extremely fuel efficient.
Or if I was parking at a place with plug-ins an electric cab heater would work.
I have a Webasto TSL 17 coolant heater on my truck so I can pre-heat the engine anywhere at any time. No need for the block heater.

Bottom line is idling is wasted money out the tailpipe. Cost savings over time if you use it quite often will pay for itself in short order.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Mine will climb to about 140 while in high idle. I don't think I'd want to have high idle on for extended idling. I'm probably just paranoid.