Ideas on Dash Cam setups

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
Thats intereting. As stated previously, I am not fond of 15 FPS, it should have a lower resolution at 30 FPS, that will also have extended recording time. As stated, I don't find much use for an extreamly high resolution wile recording through a media. Also, for my use, I don't think the aft cam would serve any pourpose. My truck sits high enough I wouldn't see anything anyway, nor would it work in my envoy. A small car should work perfict though I would think.

Or am I reading it wrong, is there 2 forward facing lens's?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I believe its one forward and one reverse. Which I am a fan of just to see inside the vehicle. Both my vehicles have dark tinting that I believe wouldn't work very well for seeing outside.

tkniss

Apr 25, 2012
Like I said earlier, it's not perfect. The video quality is pretty good, better than the specs would seem to indicate. It does about 9hrs on each cam, the one that is supposed to point backwards is the 15fps the forward cam is 30fps. The 15fps one can be rotated front or back. You can leave both running while at the mall etc to keep an eye or two on things. It also has a motion sensor so if someone runs into you while parked, or hops in or on the truck, it will start recording. Cant say if that works or not, no one has run into me yet.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So I think I may go with the one tkniss posted. Its growing on me and I'm a fan of the rear facing camera as well. I've seen some vids of different kinds and the quality all looks the same to me when it comes to an all-in-one unit.

elvenhome21

Jun 7, 2012
I bought 2 of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170869960413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

25 bucks, has a basic night vision, starts recording when it detects motion, and will loop video indefinitely until you need it. Runs on a rechargeable battery, and comes with AC and DC cords so you can plug it in anywhere. It has a screen on it, so you can play the vid for the cop right when it is needed.

Here is an Amazon link as well.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Mic...F8&qid=1348240509&sr=8-2&keywords=Dash+Camera

This even has a customer review video in the reviews.

I bought one of these cams. I would recommend getting a different style. Mine only worked for about 5 days and wont turn on now. Video quality wasnt all that bad but the factory charge cable didnt work (china charge cables never do) so i used one i already had. for the price its not to terrible but it just stopped working for no reason.

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
This is a vid I shot with it on my way to work. Nothing fancy, all I did was set the time and date. If it doesn't work right off the bat, give it a little time, it is still uploading from my end.

http://youtu.be/c86XcB0IwIQ

@ elvenhome21: I appreciate your input, but as stated, I already bought 2 of them. I also have tons of spare cables. This is day one of use, so we will see if I got slightly better ones.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So following up on this old thread I started. Finally decided to make a purchase. Went the very cheap route and bought the camera mentioned above. This camera here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YHVNWO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was not expecting any quality for $19 and I wasn't surprised. The 12 volt power cord didn't have the correct USB plug on it. The language on the camera was set in Chinese. That took me a while to change over! haha. The instructions don't correlate with the camera settings. The Amazon reviews don't lie... BUT with all of that aside I got it working. Camera does start recording when it receives power. I'm going to hard wire it into the inadvertent power supply in the dome lights so anytime the BCM is awake it's recording. Plus it's the easiest power supply to tap into. Video quality is anything but quality, however it does the job. 32gig SD card manages about 2 days worth of my driving. It'll work for now. My buddy decided to buy one for his truck but he mentioned he bought a $60ish version instead. So I'll have to check it out when it comes in.

Here's a quick vid snap of my drive home from work:

[YOUTUBE]HDJ8076hvRk&[/YOUTUBE]

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
For $19 you sure got better quality than the dash cams on "America's Most Wanted"! I would say that will be plenty to defend your position in court if it is in that camera's field of vision.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I forgot to mention keep the volume down when watching that vid haha. The mic doesn't like bass very much. But yeah being able to hide it behind my mirror but still have access to the flip down monitor it works well for $19. The playback mode is easy to operate just in case I do need to bust it out for a quick law enforcement viewing. The Amazon reviews mention a lot of the camera just shutting off completely so we'll see how long it lasts.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So after a month I ran into issues. This camera doesn't like the cold. Our low temps have caused the screen to randomly turn completely yellow, and the whole camera freezes up randomly. I have to remove the battery to reset the unit but once I do that so far it goes back to normal operation.

Did a lot of research and I'm going to order THIS ONE next. We'll try the $80 route this time.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
New camera showed up. Been using it for a few weeks now. Was a lot more impressed with the camera as a whole. Controls are easy to use, language was set to 'English' when I received it, screen looks amazing, still small enough to not be a nusiance, Camera kicks on immediately with the key. The quality is amazing compared to the $19 one (which however is still working btw), and the field of view is a lot larger.

Here's a clip. Don't forget to select the 1080p selection on youtube to see the quality correctly. And even then some of the quality was lost compressing to youtube.

Don't mind my drunken, hungover friends either lol

[YOUTUBE]zvYc_d1CEI8[/YOUTUBE]

Now the cons:
The screen is either set to stay on constantly, or shut off after 3 minutes. Kind of a hindrance especially at night. Also, I've already had to return the unit back for a new one. After using the camera for roughly 20-40 minutes it would randomly freeze up or shut off completely. The video files were half corrupt or only recording a minute at a time (should be 2, 3, or 5 minute intervals). After about five e-mails with some very broken english by a lady named "Nancy" she finally sent me instructions to mail the camera back to China. They are however refunding the shipping as well with the shipment of the new camera. Hopefully this was just a fluke as this camera was exactly what i wanted.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I'm looking for some input from anyone on here that has had experience with personal dash cams. An average day for me involves driving through about 32 round-a-bouts and for some reason these traffic controlling devices are way too complicated for the average person to comprehend. I'm constantly slamming on my brakes when people cut right in because they think they have the right-a-way.

I almost get hit every time I go the crossroads boulevard.. my wife works across 25 from you at American eagle distribution.. I feel your pain..not to mention every intersection in Colorado wants to be a roundabout

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That's the $80 one?

Yeah that's the $80 one. Actually it was like sixty something with a 32gig SD card.

I almost get hit every time I go the crossroads boulevard.. my wife works across 25 from you at American eagle distribution.. I feel your pain..not to mention every intersection in Colorado wants to be a roundabout

It's horrible. And in this dumbed-down, sue happy world video is worth a thousand words. Luckily I don't work at that dealership anymore so my daily round-a-bout count dropped drastically.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I went to an independent shop in Loveland called Engle Automotive. They specialize in light and medium duty diesels along with basically anything else haha. The dealership was a dead end.