Ideas on Dash Cam setups

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Already got my first "action shot" with the dashcams! Haha this was with the $19 dollar one that I have in my Cadillac. The Subaru decided to merge without actually looking. If I had the $80 camera the wide point of view would have caught the whole thing.

[YOUTUBE]-n97vSONm90[/YOUTUBE]

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Well after 3 months of waiting I finally received a package from the other side of the world. They ended up replacing the camera with a new unit. So far so good! The operating system seems a little different so hopefully that equates to being updated.

Unfortunately like two days too late though. Just had a Miata wreck into a Jeep Liberty right in front of me. Caught it on the cheap dashcam but the quality has diminished even more lately so you can't see much. You can see it happen at the left of the video.

[YOUTUBE]LYd8FEmVN7U[/YOUTUBE]

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That's the exact one that I just received. So far with this new one I don't seem to be having all the problems of the original I had to send back. And quality is amazing. I'll post up a clip tonight if I get a chance. The only downside to it is the screen turns on when it receives power and you can only set it to turn off after 3 minutes. So at night the screen will blind you when you first start up. I'm going to make a little cover for it.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
If anyone is still curious on this I'm back to having issues with this new camera. Different issue though. When I start the car and the camera powers up it acts like the battery is sucking too much juice and will cycle on and off constantly. The only way I can prevent it is to manually turn off the camera and let it charge for a minute. After that it works great. Seems like it's a battery issue. Half tempted to tear it apart and try a new battery/capacitor and see if it fixes the problem. Other than that it's worked great!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Long term update! Camera is working great. Swapped the power cored with a high quality USB cord and have had zero issues! Here's a night clip that caught a curb checking BMW, and me finding out the snow behind my house gets deeper than I suspected! Remember to select the 1080p selection to see the camera quality.

[YOUTUBE]Ad9MHM75ABE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
And..... it also catches my f*$k-ups :roflmao: I'm not proud of this one. I blame the female persuasion egging me on haha :D

[YOUTUBE]IqgTPbKCXPk[/YOUTUBE]

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
My wife would chit if I drove like that in the snow! She'd be screaming at me the whole time.

The bad part is that heavy, FWD car with studded snow tires does so well in the snow that it takes a lot to really get the car loose. So much that things like above happen :roflmao:

Looks good I kinda want one. Any other issues?

Like mentioned before I had to send the camera off once which did take a few months considering it got sent back to China. And I'm pretty sure they just sent me a new unit. Then I had the random power off issue which I thought was a battery issue. Ended up buying a new battery on Amazon and soldering it in only to have the same problems. Finally tried a good quality USB cable and have had zero operating issues since! Although I just noticed in the above videos that it looks like the date keeps reseting, which frankly isn't much of an issue for me. As long as there is video proof. For $70 I'm not complaining one bit!