Ideas on Dash Cam setups

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm looking for some input from anyone on here that has had experience with personal dash cams. An average day for me involves driving through about 32 round-a-bouts and for some reason these traffic controlling devices are way too complicated for the average person to comprehend. I'm constantly slamming on my brakes when people cut right in because they think they have the right-a-way. And that's just a sliver of the idiot drivers I have to deal with (I wont get into detail haha).

I'm 25 now and am proud to say I have not been in a single accident (with me driving at least). Been plenty of close calls but that's where I pride myself with my driving skills. However I still don't trust the idiots and sue happy people that share the road with me. I've been looking into getting a personal dash cam for both my truck and my Caddy and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

I've seen setups that are pieced together with a DVR and GPS which imprints your speed/location on the video. Also seen someone use an old iPhone with a setup that plugs into your DLC and records vehicle parameters as well. However I want something completely automatic that I don't have to touch once setup. Found this site www.videodashcam.com that seems to have a decent all-in-one unit but like I said I'm not too sure.

With winter coming I want to be prepared just in case I do run into issues, or just maybe catch some intense footage:

[YOUTUBE]WPXGMxoTg_s[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Gopros are cheap, and you can tell most of the time what happend with that and looking at skid marks (if the cop bothers to do that) but it will help a lot with right of way issues

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
See I know the Gopro's would be a simple cheap way to do it but I'd prefer a more automatic integrated approach. Something that starts recording when it sense's ignition voltage, instead of me having to start and stop it each time (I'm very forgetful especially in the mornings). Plus I wouldn't mind having a sorta hidden setup for the possibility of other people driving my car/my car getting stolen.

So far I'm looking into getting two cheap night vision capable cameras off ebay. One facing forward and one facing rear into the car. Going to mount them behind/on top of my rear view mirror. I have automatic wipers so there is already enough plastic by the mirror to sorta hide the rear viewing camera. I'm just having issues finding a good automatic DVR that would kick on with ignition voltage and then 'overwrite' the oldest footage when the memory gets full. I got to thinking, I really don't need any GPS/speed overlay on the screen as I never had issues with cops trying to screw me in a ticket.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Hook the go pro into your ignition relay, like a stereo or amp lead, this will turn the monitor on and off, but i think you still would have to press record?

I think its even simpler than that, they sell mounting/power kits for every sport imaginable.

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
I bought 2 of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170869960413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

25 bucks, has a basic night vision, starts recording when it detects motion, and will loop video indefinitely until you need it. Runs on a rechargeable battery, and comes with AC and DC cords so you can plug it in anywhere. It has a screen on it, so you can play the vid for the cop right when it is needed.

Here is an Amazon link as well.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Mic...F8&qid=1348240509&sr=8-2&keywords=Dash+Camera

This even has a customer review video in the reviews.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I like how it starts recording with motion. That's a good idea. Say someone backs into your car in a parking lot or hits you while your parked on a street. Do you have those cameras now? You'll have to let me know how they work out as a price like that would be hard to beat. I really didn't think I needed a screen as I could just download the video at home. But I guess having instant evidence for the cop to see would be very beneficial.

One issue I'm curious about is with the night vision. I read up on a few that had the infrared lights and they were reflecting back off the windshield and glaring the camera.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
After reading the reviews and watching the video I wouldn't mind spending a bit more money for something with a little more video quality. But like I said let me know how they work out.

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
I put quite a bit of thought into the price and vedio resolution. Fact is, if I get hit by an insurance scam, the other car will stop so plates will not be important. If I get hit, the cam will catch enough no matter what. This is going to stay in my truck and envoy at all times, so if it get's broke into, I'd rather loose 25 bucks than 200 for a go pro. It is always looping, and will record over previous vids to accomodate more vedio so it is always going, so no issue with having to take it out and make sure it isn't full. The lower resolution let's me use smaller storage. I bought a 16 gig SD card for 9 dollars on amazon. By my calculations, this should record over a week at a time with my driving.

The price sounded too good to be true, but the video realy helps sell it. Yes, there may be glare, but what are the chances that a 5000 dollar system wouldn't have the same glare? The thing that reallly got me was that camera got good shots of licence plates.

The thing I am going to recommend is keep in mind what your real world use is going to be. 1080p sounds great, but your recording through a windshield, that will get bugs on it, rain, frost... You might be driving down the highway, get cut off, and when you check the vid, find there is 30 minutes of dead bug guts on film. Just think of youtube vid's, the 1080p is great when it is a crisp vid, but most of the time, the Parkinson's patient thats holding the camera is wasting that 1080p, hell, I have a 36 inch pc screen and some of those vid's get me motion sick at higher resolutions.

Oh, and that cam you posted, it records 1080p at 15 FPS. It sounds like a nice price, but try to find some vids that were recorded with it.

I give you my word I will let you know how it works, might even post some vids for you.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Some real good points made. I'd love to see some video if you get a chance. And truthfully I don't think the IR lights that come in the camera would even work at all for a distance the camera is trying to catch. Unless you had a separate high powered IR such as what is used for some of the factory vehicle night vision units. I found a few write ups that stated the blue infrared LED's do not reflect off of the windshield but that still goes back to what I stated about them being useless at the distance I expect.

Like I said I'd love to see some of your videos just as another perspective. If I like it then I'll probably go that route first. As you said the price makes it worthwhile regardless if it fits my criticism or not.

blkdmax04

loud pipes save lives
Sep 7, 2010
The Desert
sUB'D Dustin this is a great idea I'm going to start looking @ cameras .. I could've already had some cool video's :thumb:

tkniss

Apr 25, 2012
Check this one out. It is not perfect but works good. I have it mounted to the windshield side of my rear view mirror with just the one camera stickin out the passenger side looking backwards.

can't get the link thingy to work.
Check ebay item # 280756623390

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
Check this one out. It is not perfect but works good. I have it mounted to the windshield side of my rear view mirror with just the one camera stickin out the passenger side looking backwards.

can't get the link thingy to work.
Check ebay item # 280756623390

Would you kindly scroll up and check my links please.

That is the same one I posted, the amazon link has a nice vid.

Do you have any personal vid's you can post?

tkniss

Apr 25, 2012
Like I said, I can't get the link thingy to work.
Just an computer illiterate old fart tryin to help
Sorry for posting

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
They look like two separate designed cameras to me. But I too would love to see some personal videos though if you have any? I still am liking the idea of a rear mounted camera as well.

tkniss

Apr 25, 2012
Would you kindly scroll up and check my links please.

That is the same one I posted, the amazon link has a nice vid.

Do you have any personal vid's you can post?

Ok. So I kindly scroll up to your link and I click on it. Maybe I am too old and still doing something wrong, but that ain't even close to the round dual lense camera I have.

Maybe you should not be so quick to put someone down, it might be you who is wrong

leehype

Aug 16, 2012
Like I said, I can't get the link thingy to work.
Just an computer illiterate old fart tryin to help
Sorry for posting

I wasn't trying to offend. I apoligize if it sounded mean. I generally mean to ask if you have any vid's you could post. If you are struggling, feel free to PM me and I will walk you through it if you are willing.

They look like two separate designed cameras to me. But I too would love to see some personal videos though if you have any? I still am liking the idea of a rear mounted camera as well.

There may be slight differences, but it could simply be worded differently. Simple copy paste issues, or sold by different dealers. I wouldn't put it past there being slightly different models, only time will tell.

EDIT: response to your post you made at the same time as me.
Ok. So I kindly scroll up to your link and I click on it. Maybe I am too old and still doing something wrong, but that ain't even close to the round dual lense camera I have.

Maybe you should not be so quick to put someone down, it might be you who is wrong

I copied and pasted your number, and it pulled the same cam I posted.