I have a leak!

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I was inspecting the rear shock yesterday and took a gander at the trans while I was under there. Stupid thing is leaking!
It's right were the driveshaft goes into the transfer case. How much is this gonna cost me?!
It's a built mike L trans.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316371761.333779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316371761.333779.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 55

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It is probably just the output shaft seal. You have 2 choices:
1) The right choice: replace the seal (pretty cheap)
2) The wrong choice (what I am doing :spit:): Ignore it, add a little fluid periodically, until finally a crust forms on the outside and stops the leak for you!

Attachments

• Protective Crust!.jpg
    Protective Crust!.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
When we had jmaz268's tranfer case out doing the pump rub fix we changed his then it was pretty easy if you have a big enough socket or seal driver

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Ok. Well I'm not going to ignore it. That doesn't sound good.
How do you change the seal? Just pull the drive shaft, pull the seal, insert new seal? Or do I need to pull the t/c? The latter portion of that doesn't sound fun at all.
How often do these go out? The trans is still pretty new.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think you can change it without pulling the transfer case, but you'll need tool to put the new seal in. Often a properly sized socket works, but this seal may be weird.

I'd imagine the failures are pretty rare. Mine failed after about 200k, and has been crusted over for 70k+ without any real problem besides being ugly. Of course, I've been "fixing" my pump rub with RTV over the hole for 20k miles now too... :eek:
I have both fixes in a box behind the rear seat, just need to stop being lazy here.

If I were to guess, I'd say a good new seal would last you at least 100k miles, unless there is a nick in the housing or driveshaft. But you'd be able to see that when changing the seal out.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ok. Well I'm not going to ignore it. That doesn't sound good.
How do you change the seal? Just pull the drive shaft, pull the seal, insert new seal? Or do I need to pull the t/c? The latter portion of that doesn't sound fun at all.
How often do these go out? The trans is still pretty new.

Why do you keep taliking about the trans when it has nothing to do with your leak? The seal is replaced with driveshaft removal. I can send you a seal but you better not screw it up on install. I would check u joints at the same time.