I got pump rubbed

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I would avoid driving it if you can. Ive seen them start with a slight weep and one day theres just a puddle of oil on the ground underneath. That pump rub plate is some of the cheapest insurance for our trucks.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I'm getting the plate shiped tomorrow. And as far as welding goes, I just googled it and you just tig it like aluminum. Same setup pretty much, high frequ but lower amps. Just enough amperage to melt. I think I may give it a try.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well if you didnt run the case dry for any period of time driving, put some jb weld on it. Ran mine around for a year after finding the rub hole. Justed used jb weld. It also saw temps from 0* on up to 110* ambient and it never came off. Its only temporary though and it would be best to fix it right

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I'm getting the plate shiped tomorrow. And as far as welding goes, I just googled it and you just tig it like aluminum. Same setup pretty much, high frequ but lower amps. Just enough amperage to melt. I think I may give it a try.

It was tig'd using Magnesium rod. When he was explaining it he said you had to put Magnesium back in it. It was a year and a half ago so it's a little cloudy in my memory.
That's about all I know of the process because I was not there when he welded it.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Same process as alluminum tig but different filler. I talked to MikeL today and he said just like mentioned before tare it down, put the pump rub plate in, JB weld the damage, put it back together and let her eat.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Well I got it fixed, I got the pump rub plate from MikeL and put it in myself. It was a pretty straight forward job and really didn't take long. The only problem I had was I forgot to take the speed sensor out and the case wouldn't split in half with it in. I put the plate in and fixed the bad spots with epoxy. Once I opened it up I could see that the pump was contacting in about 4 spots and all were about to wear through. If you haven't installed a pump rub kit I suggest you do. After looking at the design it seems to me that they will all eventually rub through no way around it. It took mine 170k to do it but I've heard of some do it with less than 100k on the clock.