I got pump rubbed

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I've been noticing a little fluid on my back bumper for a week or two now. Today I got it on the lift and confirmed that its pump rub. I know I need to tare it down and put the pump rub kit in but it will take a few days to get that shiped to me. Would I be doing harm welding over the pin hole with the t case in the truck? Looking at pics of the inside of the t case I dont see where anything would be hurt by doing this. When I weld it I'm going to get some distortion and probably a little bulging effect on the inside of the case. If I burn through I know I might as well pull the case and disasemble and fix the case properly. Any thoughts? I've got a pulse mig and there really good welding thin aluminum thats not perfectly clean.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
You could clean it real good and use JB Weld. let it dry before you drive it-- A heat gun will help it set.

You would have a hard time welding it because of the oil.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I think the rear is alluminum where the rub through is and as far as oil contamination, the pulse mig does really well, just worried about what would happen inside when I weld it. I'm going to try to get the pump rub fix parts ordered tomorrow. I should get them in a couple days. I may just keep the fluid full and tare it down later this week and weld it while its disassembled. Just dont want it to run empty on me.

DougSmith

I am pretty sure that the entire case is magnesium. I talked to Merchant about it a few years ago and he said that it cannot be fixed. It can be JB welded as a temp, but that would be knocked out eventually from the expansion and contraction of the case.

The only risk about not replacing the case is, you could spring a leak while driving, 2 quarts of oil runs out quickly and burn it up. I burnt one up in my old 01 on a 700 mile trip and did not see it until it was too late. My trip was in rain and was washing the fluid away as it leaked.

I wish you luck patching it, but $300 or so for a case half is a helluva lot cheaper now than an $1,100 whole case when it fries.

They sell half cases at Merchant's if in stock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I know the t case front half is magnesium, but I'm pretty sure the back half is alluminum. I'll post back when I find out. If it is alluminum I can fix it to be as good as new and save the $300.00. If its magnesium its a paper weight.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Not that I know forsure. But mag is way soft compared to any metals for that matter. I don't think aluminum would rub through very easy so I think its all mag aswell. Just a guess

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It very well could be, looking at the t case the front half and the back half look totally different. The front half the we know is mag is very smooth and darker in color. The back half is rough and has casting imperfections. I can literally pick pieces off with my fingernail around the seal.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Well pretty much confirmed its magnesium, what do you guys recomend for a short term fix, just to keep the fluid in her? I'm going to order a new rear and pump rub kit but dont want to destroy my t case while I'm waiting on parts.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I didn't know it could be welded. I was told magnesium would react and burn up if you tried to weld it. Produces its own oxygen or something.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Looks almost like some kind of oxygen acetylene weld? I'm going to call a welding supply store tomorrow and see what they have to say.