I got a new shooter

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Hey guys I bought a springfield XD 9mm today:thumb:.. I got the one with the 5" barrel, so far I really like it. I will be trying to use it for a cc but it might be a bit big. I have holster that goes in the lower part of your back and it work well but
I'm looking for something to carry one the side. What do you guys recommend?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've heard a lot of good things about the Springer XD. I've never been a big fan of 9mm, but there's no denying the ammo is cheap.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I like the XDs as I've shot alot of them. Don't think I'll ever own one however. Compact 1911, or a .38 is tough to beat in my opinion. I've had glocks walthers etc. Only handgun i have left is my ruger sp101 :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I want to get a sub-compact 1911 for a carry weapon. I really like the Colt New Agent. Haven't shot one though, and I'm not sure how I'd like the trench sites.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I had a springfield v-10 Josh which is a subcompact 1911. I really liked that gun

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
5.7 x 28, 20rnd clip, 2750 ft. per sec., not a good cc in summer weather but sure is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, and since it snowed another 6" today, it fits quite well under my heavy winter coat(which i will be wearing for quite sometime i fear)

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Is there a way to de cock these guns or do you just have to pull the clip and eject the round or do you just carry it around cocked and locked? I have been really looking at the XD but don't know much about hand guns. :)

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Decockers suck. My walther had a decocker and when you engage that theres a two stage kind of trigger pull so you can still technically shoot it when its been decocked but you just have to pull the trigger twice essentially. If youre carrying a gun you should be prepared to use it that means itll be loaded.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Hey guys I bought a springfield XD 9mm today:thumb:.. I got the one with the 5" barrel, so far I really like it. I will be trying to use it for a cc but it might be a bit big. I have holster that goes in the lower part of your back and it work well but
I'm looking for something to carry one the side. What do you guys recommend?

Fobus Elite is one of my faves...I'm partial to paddle holsters though.

Decockers suck. My walther had a decocker and when you engage that theres a two stage kind of trigger pull so you can still technically shoot it when its been decocked but you just have to pull the trigger twice essentially. If youre carrying a gun you should be prepared to use it that means itll be loaded.

X2 If your not going to carry with one in the tube then leave the gun at home! An unloaded gun has a higher chance of getting you killed than saving your life.

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
I carry a XD .40 4 " service. The 4" can be concealed pretty easy, not sure on the 5. The grip is the same length and that usually is the tough part.

If you are carrying it for personal defense take it to the range and run it hard. Put 500 rounds through it, clean and do it again.

Any new autoloader needs to have the burrs cleaned out prior to service. Over all very happy with it. Good gun for the price.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I carry a XD .40 4 " service. The 4" can be concealed pretty easy, not sure on the 5. The grip is the same length and that usually is the tough part.

If you are carrying it for personal defense take it to the range and run it hard. Put 500 rounds through it, clean and do it again.

Any new autoloader needs to have the burrs cleaned out prior to service. Over all very happy with it. Good gun for the price.

I carry the same, XD40 4'' service model, bi tone. By far the best handgun I've ever owned.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Springfield makes some really nice guns and I've almost bought one several times, but I could never bring myself to buy a gun that say "Springfield USA" on the side and isn't made in the US. Not knocking them at all, just personal preference.

tech141

USAF Retired
Feb 24, 2010
Belleville, IL
Checl out the Smith&Wesson M&P 9C...

I like mine a lot. Great shooter.

If you want a Sub-Compact, the Kel-tec PF9 is a solid pocket-carry semi-auto. Not a range queen (not fun to shoot) but will go Bang every time you pull trigger.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
I have the SubCompact XD 9 that I carry. I have crossbread IWB hostler that makes it a very concealable combo.

You'll love the XD.