I can't decide!!!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Stall is where coupling is most efficient?

Stall is the rpm at standstill when the truck starts to push through the brakes.
Coupling is how quick the converter comes out of tq multiplication and starts getting more efficient and gets the power to the rear wheels.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Stall is the rpm at standstill when the truck starts to push through the brakes.
Coupling is how quick the converter comes out of tq multiplication and starts getting more efficient and gets the power to the rear wheels.

Thanks Mike and James. Learn something new everyday...

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Ya what's wrong with a 1056? Its a great all around converter.

I learned from other's experiences with the 56 after i bought mine that the 56 is hit or miss converter. you either get a good one or one with quirks. Mine has always locked extremely hard from the minute i left the trans shop with it. It slowly got better, but always was on the edge of violent. Also, at 2/3 - 3/4 throttle it will lock wicked hard, then immediately unlock, like the violent lock scared it or something. I learned to live with it, especially since i only drove the truck for years to/from sled pulls, or just to spin some tire for a few minutes. However, i always thought it coupled great.

Now that i only use the truck to tow our puller with, grossing 22k-23k lbs, that wicked lock up in 2nd gear(tow haul mode) is unacceptable. I have played with tcm tuning trying to make it smoother to no avail. After a couple months of this, it now makes so much heat that my trans overheats all the time in our hilly country. We have decided that it locks hard because it's slipping a bunch, then overcompensates when locking?? I dunno for sure, but i had another one coming for it(a 1058 cause the ones i have drove are pleasant) until recently deciding to sell it to get a dually.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I learned from other's experiences with the 56 after i bought mine that the 56 is hit or miss converter. you either get a good one or one with quirks. Mine has always locked extremely hard from the minute i left the trans shop with it. It slowly got better, but always was on the edge of violent. Also, at 2/3 - 3/4 throttle it will lock wicked hard, then immediately unlock, like the violent lock scared it or something. I learned to live with it, especially since i only drove the truck for years to/from sled pulls, or just to spin some tire for a few minutes. However, i always thought it coupled great.

Now that i only use the truck to tow our puller with, grossing 22k-23k lbs, that wicked lock up in 2nd gear(tow haul mode) is unacceptable. I have played with tcm tuning trying to make it smoother to no avail. After a couple months of this, it now makes so much heat that my trans overheats all the time in our hilly country. We have decided that it locks hard because it's slipping a bunch, then overcompensates when locking?? I dunno for sure, but i had another one coming for it(a 1058 cause the ones i have drove are pleasant) until recently deciding to sell it to get a dually.

This is almost exactly what my 1057 was like. I really like my 1054

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
No complaints with my 1056 when I ran my s366. Loose enough to get on top of the charger even at high elevations that I frequented, and lockup was smooth. Not loose enough for my compounds now though.