Hub centric rings?

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
My boy was puttin wheels on his silverado (1500)and his wheel hub is smaller then the hole on the wheel, I've never seen centric rings before or really ever Heard of them untill this. I popped my caps off and it's the same way the the rim hole is slightly bigger like his. Does this matter ? The wieght is resting on the lugs not the hub. I don't know so please fill me in!!!

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I've ran 2 different sets of rims like that on my truck for over 2 years now with no issues. If you torque the tire off the ground evenly. It will center itself and you shouldn't have any problems. I even have 1.5 spacers in the rear and ran paddles with no issues also.

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
Yea I mean if they make them you should have them is my theory.. Upon researching its at your own descression and Hub centric vs lug centric wheels ext... I'm going to pep boys they have the size I need surprisingly

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I always thought that IF they aren't hub centric then they were lug centric and you had to purchase conical (cone shaped) lug nuts. IMO I wouldn't use HUB centric lug nuts (flat) on a conical seat wheel! Nor would I just let the wheel rest on the studs!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Factory wheels are hub AND lug centric. that said, you can run wheels as lug centric only on these trucks and 1500s all you want without issue. the only truck i know that came hub centric only from the factory was older ford trucks. to swap them to lug centric was as simple as a new set of rims and lug nuts.

you dont HAVE to have hub centric rings installed on the back of the rim. i never noticed the difference when we would do that on cars at Discount Tire. they all rode the same with or without that centering ring.

generally with the 1500s, wheel MFGs make the hub opening much much bigger than factory GM stuff, this way it can be sold on toyota trucks as well or older GM vehicles without issue.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Accorn if that's what you mean by conical? I'd just grind out the inside so they fit over the hub. But that depends on what the lugnut seats look like

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You need to look at the lugnut seats. If its got a beveled hole it will be fine. That's how there designed. Stock wheels on lots of vehicles including your stock wheels are lug centric. With out the bevel, it doesn't "self center"

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
it has the bevel and the lugs are right my question is more about the centric rings and puting the weight on the lugs. lugs are for lateral movement correct aka securing the wheel to the rotor? It should rest on the hub no?

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Make sure you use the right lug nuts too. If you use steel wheel nuts on aluminum wheels it can cause lugs to break. There is a name for them but I'm too lazy to look it up. The beveled part is bigger than the hex part on aluminum wheel nuts.