EFILive How to get my ecm unlocked

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Hey guys my 03 will not let me pull the ecm tune out it says that it is locked. How can i get it unlocked?

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Or you could just full flash a stock OS into it. You can enter the number on the TIS site and it'll tell you the latest operating system for it I believe...then just download that stock OS from the interwebzzzz

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
It might be stuck that way mine was locked stock but it was something wrong from GM

I sent it to SoCal and he got it made to a road runner and unlocked it

Do you have a security light on?

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Do you have any aftermarket head units, I-Pod adapters, alarm, etc ?

The newer trucks are told to be quiet by EFI-Live, but sometimes an aftermarket item will cause system noise and mess up the boot loader instructions.

If you pull the radio fuse and info fuse under the dash as well as the fuse for any aftermarket item it should be OK.

Also, make sure the key is on the second position as the first is the accessory position.

;)

If you give me the SN# of the ECM and the VIN# I can check my records and see if I tuned it, searching through several hundred files is easy when they are sorted properly.

:D

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
If you have a aftermarket radio remove the radio and info fuses from under the hood fuse box. If that doesn't work see if you can check ECM status and see if Vin# comes up. If it does then some tuner locked it and can be flashed at a dealership. If not then it's locked by TIS and is not tunable.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
FWIW, I sent a locked ECM to pcmcalibrators. I got it back for about $140 apparently unlocked. Haven't tested it yet though, waiting for warmer weather to try it.

1953drtelco

Feb 24, 2010
Riverside, CA
Hey guys my 03 will not let me pull the ecm tune out it says that it is locked. How can i get it unlocked?

PM if your interested in getting the ecm unlocked. I sent my (Locked) ECM to a tuner which EFI recommended. $50.00 and it's unlocked with stock tuning....Now your ready to apply your own tunes....

Note: My ecm was locked by and EFI tuner....with a couple of performance tunes

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
TIS won't lock it, TIS is simply GM's network that they use to distribute there software. If GM flashes it, then it will simply be stock again. Many times you can luck out and get a guy at the dealership to flash it for you for $20 afterwork as it isn't that big of a deal to do it. I had one done and it pissed me off to say teh least to pay for an hours labor at $100/hr, and I knew fully good and well it would only take them 15 minutes tops. Warranty pays them .3 hour to do it IIRC.

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
You want to hear a good one? We had one truck come in that was locked. Took it to the dealer for a reflash. They couldn't do it cause the Tech 2 wouldn't get into the ecm. They said ecm was junk. Quoted $1,732 plus two hours to install and program. I said uh no I can get a used one for $100 and install plus flash in 15min. Turns out the aftermarket radio was interfering with the CAN system. Pulled the radio fuse and what do ya know. The flash went through just fine.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Warranty pays them .3 hour to do it IIRC.

It pays .4

I agree most of the time it's a 15 minute deal but about 1 in every 10-15 screws you to the tune of an hour plus, and I won't even get into the risk of locking up your module.

I have spent an entire day trying to flash a module, over 4 hours on the phone with Gm working on a solution Care to guess how much we charged them?

Plus if it's locked we usually can't program.

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
You want to hear a good one? We had one truck come in that was locked. Took it to the dealer for a reflash. They couldn't do it cause the Tech 2 wouldn't get into the ecm. They said ecm was junk. Quoted $1,732 plus two hours to install and program. I said uh no I can get a used one for $100 and install plus flash in 15min. Turns out the aftermarket radio was interfering with the CAN system. Pulled the radio fuse and what do ya know. The flash went through just fine.
I will try this