Question: How much fuel when gauge shows empty?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
People shit when I fill up my work truck with the dragup tank. Almost $500... I go inside tell them how much fuel I want and :-0

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thought the short beds had a smaller tank my lbz long bed when empty would take 35 gal easy my lml will go 35 gallons if the very low fuel light is on

they do but ive seen calibrations where they have said 34 gal instead of 26.

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
Steve has shown me quite a few tunes where the factory has said an LB had a 26gal tank for the fuel tank size. this will make it read like you guys are talking about. All you have to do is change the setting to match your tank from what ive been told. i know the bigger titan tanks and so on can be a bit trickier some times though.

Mine is set so when my "low Fuel" message comes up, i have 5 gallons left. most ive ever fit in the tank was 34.5 gallons with the truck cutting out at the fuel station on a factory pick up tube in the tank.

Wow - I put 33 gallons in once and was prayin' all the way. :please:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Gonna bump this back up to the top. Truck read 1/4 tank today and would only take 14 gallons. Not sure if the sensor is bad or that’s just how it is. I’m gonna be putting in a sump at some point so I don’t really want to replace the whole sending unit. And if the sensor isn’t bad I’ll just rescale it with EFI when that day comes. Just don’t wanna push my luck and actually run out. Ideas?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Gonna bump this back up to the top. Truck read 1/4 tank today and would only take 14 gallons. Not sure if the sensor is bad or that’s just how it is. I’m gonna be putting in a sump at some point so I don’t really want to replace the whole sending unit. And if the sensor isn’t bad I’ll just rescale it with EFI when that day comes. Just don’t wanna push my luck and actually run out. Ideas?
Probably the sensor it cost $70 IIRC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Probably the sensor it cost $70 IIRC.

Cheapest I can find just the sensor itself was $120 so if it’s not bad and I can just rescale, that’s what I wanna do. I just don’t wanna look at low fuel for miles and miles.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Cheapest I can find just the sensor itself was $120 so if it’s not bad and I can just rescale, that’s what I wanna do. I just don’t wanna look at low fuel for miles and miles.
Are you doing your own tuning? Im not sure a tuner would do it for you. I was going to rescale mine, but sometimes my sensor would will read empty. It just wasn't consistent enough for me to trust it and risk running out of fuel.

I ran my truck with sensor messed up for years though. If I ran my truck to E it had 6 gals left. I watched the trip mileage very close to make sure the gauge wasn't getting more screwy and filled up often just to be sure.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Are you doing your own tuning? Im not sure a tuner would do it for you. I was going to rescale mine, but sometimes my sensor would will read empty. It just wasn't consistent enough for me to trust it and risk running out of fuel.

I ran my truck with sensor messed up for years though. If I ran my truck to E it had 6 gals left. I watched the trip mileage very close to make sure the gauge wasn't getting more screwy and filled up often just to be sure.

Hmm. Good point about the tuning.. gonna have to think on this lol I guess the only way to see if I have a problem is to see if it runs out huh.