Question: How much fuel when gauge shows empty?

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I have a CCLB with 34 gallon tank. I've buried my fuel gauge below the "E" a few times but I've never been able to put more that 25 gallons in it when empty. Does that mean I've still got 8-9 gallons of usable fuel range left? Anybody ever run an LB totally dry and did it take anything close to 34 gallons to fill?

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
My short bed is the same way but I was always afraid that just cause there is more fuel in the doesn't mean the truck could actually suck it up

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
My lly is the same. I've been driving around looking for diesel fuel with the gauge buried on "E" nervous I was running out and had about 2 gal left. My lmm doesn't have the cushion. When it reads empty it is.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Our lmm cc/lb kicks the light on when I can only get 26gal in also. I've ran it 80 miles after the light before hauling hay and ended up putting 31gal in. My 01 lb7 ec/sb is dead on but my 05 lly can be on E and still have 4-5 gal left in the tank.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
When my trucks hit the 1/4 tank line it gets filled, so I have no clue but would like to know for my long trips back to Cali...

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
I've had to make adjustments via EFIlive to try to get a more accurate reading from the fuel gauge I'm still working on getting it exact when I do I'll post of the information for those that have EFIlive.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I've had to make adjustments via EFIlive to try to get a more accurate reading from the fuel gauge I'm still working on getting it exact when I do I'll post of the information for those that have EFIlive.

Do you need to do it via computer?

I know for my camaro (also notoriously bad at portraying fuel level) I just fill the tank, pop the needle off the shaft and reset it to true full. That gets you actual empty when the gauge hits E.

My LLY will ding E and usually take 25gal so its a nice safety blanket

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My old 02 lb7 short bed was dead on. Empty light comes on and it would take 25 gallons every time. My lly is way off, empty light comes on and if you immediately go fill up you can only get 16-18 gallons in.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I still have 4gal. left the the light comes on just like all my other GMs.

Someone did that IIRC they they emptied the tank while installing a new pick up and just added 2gal at a time and mapped the sensor volts.

Do you need to do it via computer?

I know for my camaro (also notoriously bad at portraying fuel level) I just fill the tank, pop the needle off the shaft and reset it to true full. That gets you actual empty when the gauge hits E.

My LLY will ding E and usually take 25gal so its a nice safety blanket

Ya have to use EFI

CreepyMike

Apr 2, 2014
Fredericksburg, Va
In my SB LBZ when the light comes on I can only get 18-19 in it, out of 26. I ran it well past once and watched the fuel range and once I hit 31 miles remaining it stayed at 31 for about 20 miles then finally started to go down again. I stopped at 16 miles remaining and it still only took 20.5... :confused:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
In my SB LB7, when the light comes on, she's empty. Less than 2 gallons left

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
I still have 4gal. left the the light comes on just like all my other GMs.

Someone did that IIRC they they emptied the tank while installing a new pick up and just added 2gal at a time and mapped the sensor volts.

Ya have to use EFI

Even easier way - just run the truck so it's almost out (near E). Hook up EFI LIve and on of the PID's is fuel level sensor voltage. Record this, now fill up truck. The pump readout should be accurate enough to make any changes necessary. Write down how many gallons it took to fill the tank, and use this along with your original sensor voltage to make adjustments to the calibration. I just shifted over the curve (assumed that GM's cal was close, just off), and my gage has been pretty accurate ever since.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
My ec/sb 02 reads empty unless its a full tank! It gets down to 7/8 and flips the light on and says empty. Thinking bad cluster haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Steve has shown me quite a few tunes where the factory has said an LB had a 26gal tank for the fuel tank size. this will make it read like you guys are talking about. All you have to do is change the setting to match your tank from what ive been told. i know the bigger titan tanks and so on can be a bit trickier some times though.

Mine is set so when my "low Fuel" message comes up, i have 5 gallons left. most ive ever fit in the tank was 34.5 gallons with the truck cutting out at the fuel station on a factory pick up tube in the tank.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My ec/sb 02 reads empty unless its a full tank! It gets down to 7/8 and flips the light on and says empty. Thinking bad cluster haven't had time to mess with it yet.

might be the sender in the tank too. the copper slide that rides along the reostat wore though so it no longer made complete contact and would read spuraticly. im still on my original step motors from 2001.5 :D

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
That's what I was thinking at first but a few guys on here said its the stepper. All my other gauges read perfectly fine. Is there a way to tell which is bad without doing one or the other? I would think a programmer would be able to read exactly what the level sender is showing. I have tried with a few but they won't read cause of efi live. I still haven't bought a v2.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I thought the short beds had a smaller tank my lbz long bed when empty would take 35 gal easy my lml will go 35 gallons if the very low fuel light is on