How H20 Meth effects engine oil

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I'm no brain scientist or rocket surgeon. I stumbled on this and wanted to share what I found.

I put a Snow stage 3 MPG/Max h20/meth setup on my 2007 LBZ truck at about 124,000 miles and I'm now up to 187,000. Shortly after that I did an oil analysis and was shocked by what I saw. High Aluminum, Silicon, Sodium, Potasium and Magnesium. The lab thought I had a coolant leak. But I hadnt noticed any, and with the amount of miles I put on the truck I thought for sure I would have noticed it by then.

After phone calls & emails to Snow, the oil analysis lab, Labonte, and others I decided to change the water source and retest.

The testing went down like this:

for each test the engine oil and filter was changed, oil was ran aprox 5000 miles and a sample was pulled.

The only extra work done to the engine in the entire time was the oil pressure sensor was replaced.

1st test -

I was running any water from any source. Water from home (softened tap water), water from truck stop spickets like those you see at the camper/rv fillup lanes at Flying J (only the safe for drinking ones) and rest area water spickets.

This test resulted in the high levels mentioned above.

2nd test -

Switched to only distilled mineral free water.

This test all the high levels were back down into acceptable areas.

Talked to Snow after this test and they asked if I would switch back to tap water and test again. So I did.

3rd test -

Switched back to tap water.

What do you know, all the mineral levels mentiond above went right back up.

I thought I was done testing. But getting ready to leave out on a trip I thought I had 5 gallons of straight meth but it was empty. I had just changed the oil that day so it was fresh clean oil, and there was a jug of WWS and an oil sample container on the shelf looking at me. So I ran only Peak brand WWS for about 5000 miles and pulled another sample.

4th test -

Peak WWS resulted in high mineral levels (again) and high cooper and lead. So again I thought I was done testing, but now I needed to see if the copper and lead were from the wws or an engine problem.

So,
5th test -

Ran only distilled water with the meth for about 5000 miles and pulled a sample. the mineral levels and the copper and lead went down.

I'm not going to run anything but distilled water with the meth. Thought I'd share it all for anyone else interested:hug:

Attached are the reports.

Last edited:

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting

I have a dozen bottles of peak -20 WSW I have been using

I use it strickly for egt reduction when hammering on the truck so I would be going through a fraction of what you did in a oil change interval

I have never done a oil sample everything I could see looked good when I did the headgaskets.

I will rethink my options in the future. I don't feel real safe storing a bunch of methanol though

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I dont know, maybe the guys running it on occasion at the track might be ok, might not get the contamination I was seeing.

I run it all the time. Except for the first few minutes at startup and last few minutes before shut off. I'm spraying approx 1 gallon per 100 miles. sometimes more sometimes less.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thanks for the info.
As I said in the other thread, i truly believe your findings are accurate and an indication that WW is not a good choice due to the wear metals introduced into the oil.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'm happy with the Labonte I bought. And it is cheaper than the snow. Plus they have a new aluminum 7 gal tank coming out that mounts to the frame-it looks pretty sweet!!:thumb:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Great thread! Thanx a ton for doing all that and sharing the results!

looks like ill start getting Culligan bottles:spit: