How far can the Dmax block go?

LTS Max

Apr 4, 2008
Just curious on anyone's thought about how far one can push the stock Dmax block before a billet steel unit is in order.(I'm just talking about the engine block itself ,not internals) Looks like the Cummins truck production blocks are ok to about 1200 to 1400hp but beyond that they are looking to industrial use cores or machining custom billet steel units. I believe some have approached 1200hp with the Dmax production unit but where do you think the limit is? Isn't the Banks Dragster eclipsing 1000hp with the stock block?

I keep hearing how the Cummins can handle so much more than the Dmax but both equally built with good internals seem to be in the same playing field strength wise.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
the problem is the Duramax is still a fairly new engine in comparison to the Cummins. We are barely scratching the surface of what the Duramax can do. Nasty Girl is probably around 1100 rwhp... and now we are seeing Duramaxes getting over the 1000hp hump.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
huh?? :didimiss:

got some reading on this thing? I assume it's in a boat somewhere????

C-ya
no boat... top fuel dragster:D iirc PDR built the motor
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42852

P1010242.jpg

LTS Max

Apr 4, 2008
I'm wondering if the Dmax block limits will be tested by RPM rather than max torque. Looks like the hardcore Cummins sled pullers are pulling 5K+ RPM's vs. the dyno queens running 1200rwhp at 3/4k RPM.

I saw Banks had to whittle down the crank on their drag truck motor to help get the RPM limit up.

I have to imagine a heavy diesel rotating assembly at 5K RPM+ would destroy a block quicker than just massive torque output. I guess time will tell as power levels increase.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
remember, prolly a good number of these 1000+hp cummins sled trucks also have partial or fully "hard-blok" ed engines. IMO, the V-8 block design has a small advantage here, our blocks have more internal webbing and bracing cast into them. Kinda hard to do on an inline engine. It would be nice if the aftermarket got involved in making aftermarket diesel cylinder blocks. If i had unlimited funds, i'd call some one like CN and see if theyed mill out a billet alum. d-max block:D They do custom stuff! Hell they make the
Minor Bros/Arias/Fontana type Hemi blocks! Im Drooling, we have an Arias Hemi but its a cast "rhino" block, its cast aluminum and seems to hold 2500+hp well:D

http://www.cnblocks.com/

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:eek::drool::rockon: i need to start playin the lottery:D

Thats about what it takes! :eek:

Sry, OT........ Pics of that 2500+HP in my profile! ---69 Nova Pro-Mod---

I was the Crew chief/engine builder. Dad...Owner/driver
Well unfortunatly, we traded the car as a rolling chassis this fall for a whole nother turn-key Nova drag car, runs low 10's-high 9's. We still have the Motor complete, Lenco, Clutch, bellhousing and lots of spare parts. We had to retire our pro-mod deal due to financial issues and that and the cars last outing we had small wreck on top of past troubles, lost the chutes @ 200mph and went off the end of the track and tore up the body, had the 4-link nearly rip out, hit gaurdrail. My dad is a rookie to a car this fast (low 6's) and i completely understand, but he lost control on the burnout, it got loose and plowed the gaurdrail, hoped up on it and did a piurouette on it. You gotta understand how touchy the throttle is on this car, its a fine balence of wheel speed and RPM, and it just got crossed up. He was just fine aside from PO'ed and the car didnt get hurt that bad but Mom saw it and everything else going on that ended it....for now;) We still have its heart!

Thes cars are ungodly expensive to operate:
10gal of Methanol a run at $6 per gal.
14qts of 50w or 60w race oil change 2-3 runs @ $50 case
Goodyear slicks bout $600 a piece
clutch disks iirc $90 per disk and takes 3 (triple disk clutch)
Con rods, good for 20 passes $3K

Thats just a tiny bit of it, bearings, lubes, lash caps, pistons, rods, other rebuild parts, theres still fuel and entry fee to get there! Its an endless list!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
you need to get him interested in diesels!!!! bet y'all could have as fast a diesel ride as anyone for the kind of money been spent on that gasser. No where near 2500rwhp though. I don't think I can really even imagine that. That's insane!!!

C-ya

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
IIRC, I think Adam contacted one or more of these companies about this... or not.:confused: I know he mentioned at one point contacting someone about something but what the something was, I can't remember now. :eek::D

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
you need to get him interested in diesels!!!! bet y'all could have as fast a diesel ride as anyone for the kind of money been spent on that gasser. No where near 2500rwhp though. I don't think I can really even imagine that. That's insane!!!

C-ya

Oh belive me ive been tryin to rub it in as much as possible! He loves the noise of the big nasty supercharged engines, cant say as i blame him, it sends chills down my spine:p But I think hes showing more intrest seeing what a proper diesel is capable of! Do or die one of us has got to get a nasty drag diesel goin, prolly me;) I just need to rob a bank 1st:rofl: My truck is slowly turning that way, its no longer my DD. My Bu wagon needs to "clack" too.:rofl:

My buddie and I even have a "rat-diesel-rod" project in the works for this spring!

"DIESEL IS IN MY BLOOD AND I CANT GET IT OUT IF I WANTED TO" ;)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
aluminum/custom block?? Forget it guys, WHY would you ever bother. Its not even a duramax anymore at that point. :rolleyes:

spend an extra 50 grand to go what, another 5 feet? Maybe im missing something about doing this, or maybe its just the pure "gee-whiz no one else has done it before" factor that everyone is drooling over?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
IIRC, I think Adam contacted one or more of these companies about this... or not.:confused: I know he mentioned at one point contacting someone about something but what the something was, I can't remember now. :eek::D

dart and world gave me the answer the diesel blocks were the devil.... when askign about wall thicknees

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
aluminum/custom block?? Forget it guys, WHY would you ever bother. Its not even a duramax anymore at that point. :rolleyes:

spend an extra 50 grand to go what, another 5 feet? Maybe im missing something about doing this, or maybe its just the pure "gee-whiz no one else has done it before" factor that everyone is drooling over?

Ben1, For someone who takes pulling or racing seriously, its a drop in the bucket for the extra power/reliability, distance/ speed. For a pro mod tractor or truck puller, its about the only way to keep them from flexing as the cast blocks wont do. Look at corey atleys Puller, The engines making enough power to break cunningham diamond lock rods but the block doesnt flex and the bearings hold up well. In a cast block the engine wouldnt last a hook.