Allison 5sp: how do i flush water out of trans?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
ok guys, im looking at a truck that was under water up to the bumper for a bit. what is the best way to flush the water out of the trans?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
ok guys, im looking at a truck that was under water up to the bumper for a bit. what is the best way to flush the water out of the trans?

Ah, I'd say take it to a Chevy dealer...sit back for 45min and have them use their equipment and get ready to pay for extra fluid...my flush took 22qts...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Problem is; water soaked friction clutches will boil the paper lining off in short order when the trans gets hot. Probably have to pull the trans and re-clutch it.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I couldn't tell you exactly how much water, but it didn't look like much, when I pulled the dipstick the fluid was still a pretty dark pink and didn't look that milky. how about the rest of the compartments, anybody have any really good ideas on flushing everything else out?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The trouble with water is, unless you take it and drive it to circulate the fluid around, the water can settle out and not look that bad. And like Mike said, be prepared to reclutch it as enough water can take the clutches out in SHORT order. Not to mention what water does when it goes through a pump when hot. I've got a JEEP trans that HOWLED liek you wouldn't believe because it got driven with water in it. Wiped the pump right out.