How did you get into your career?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The "What did you do at work?" thread got me thinking about this. How did you fall into your job/career? Family? Luck (good OR bad)? Forced to? Skillz?

Me:
July 1985. I was 21, failing in college (damn Calculus! I cannot do theoretical math!) and going nowhere as a shift mgr at MickeyDs. Friend of mine was a part time mgr at UPS and called me one day that they were hiring drivers. I said, "What the heck" and went down for an interview. Hired on the spot, I filled out my job application while I did the rest of the after-you're-hired paperwork at a picnic table in the center. :ROFLMAO:
36 years later, Im still here. 2nd in seniority in the entire building. :oops: I get asked at least twice a day when Im going to retire. Honestly? It cant come soon enough.

So how about you?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I got married right out of high school. No she was not pregenant as if that matters. I was a hot rodder with very little experience with cars. I worked for a gas station and they were trying to make a grand national driver out of me. They had 2 cars. 427 fords with Holman and Moody prep. Nascar drivers ( race car drivers et al ) have fantastic hand eye control, and quick reactions with no fear. They are very talented guys. My downfall was fear. I then went to work for Chevrolet as a used car mechanic and lasted only 3 months. They said they loved me but I was not a true mechanic. How much can you know at 18? Haven't been alive long enogh to be good. Went a Pontiac dealer to do the same kind of work and lasted the same amount of time.
Pontiac took me back as a light duty mechanic and I was getting nowhere with a wife and now child coming. I befriended the heavy mechanic at Pontiac and he opened his own shop. Told me he would teach me everything. That lasted 6 months till the doors closed. As we were selling all the equipment from that shop to a big trans shop down the street; the trans shop owner came over to me and said report to my shop Monday. I said I know nothing about transmissions. He said don't worry, I can make something out of you very fast.
I then commited myself to be the very best and learned fast. I came up in the trans business with some of the smartest and most talented people ever and stayed friends with them till today. We all went our separate ways, most of my friends started making shift kits ( Transgo ) and other went into higher tech making fixes for stock transmissions and tech sevices like ATRA. I was blessed to be around these guys picking their brains. Some of my friends were way smarter than I but, I built all their transmissions. It's been a great 55 years and I loved every minute of it. There is a lot more to this story but I tried to keep it short
Sorry for the long post guys.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I always loved taking things apart to see how they worked when I was growing up. My dad worked in the maintenance dept of the local glass plant, but was more of a "farm mechanic" by today's standards. That prompted me to enroll in the county joint vocational school when I was a junior (Diesel mech program).

Loved every bit of going to a JVS, and those teachers were awesome. That's what set me on my "career path". My current job is because of moving back closer to home, I spent 4 yrs out in Indiana working for Cummins, and sometimes I wish I stayed. But I got out of the diesel gig and work on compressors now at Ariel Corp.

It's kinda funny that I never knew about this family owned biz growing up, only 30min from my hometown.

If I had to do it all over, I'd probably take machining trades at that JVS

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
While in highschool, there was a program which could be viewed as a poor mans home economics, shop class, etc. Basically we took on jobs around the campus to help the faculty in their jobs. Kids cooked the meals for the rest of the school, others learned landscaping, some gardening, etc. Me, I always was tinkering and playing around inside radios and other mechanical things to see what made them tick or see if I could get them working again.

We had a new maintenance guy come to our school and he was great. Was kind of like a father figure in a way and taught me a lot. I ended up working with him for about a year before he moved to another job. When I graduated he asked me if I wanted to come work with him doing building maintenance. Of course I did. I ended up apprenticing under him for awhile before getting a permanent position. He was the chief engineer and I along with several other maintenance personal maintained a seven building complex. I was in charge of the commercial kitchen equipment and other appliances throughout the facility. There was a plumber, electrician and HVAC tech along with the chief.

Since we where short staffed we where always helping each other out, well more like I was always bailing them out and helping on their projects. This afforded me the opportunity to learn all the other trades. After doing this for a number of years, doing everything from welding, plumbing, electrical, boilers, refrigeration and air conditioning, painting, carpet, etc. You name it when it comes to building maintenance I've probably done it. After many all nighters and the long hours, several years later I decided it was time to move on as it was starting to wear me down.

I ended up moving closer to family. An uncle got me a job (where he worked) as a temp wearhouse hand and to help fix up the equipment at a epoxy flooring company. The boss there liked my work and decided to permanently employ me. After the wearhouse work got slow and there was no more broken equipment they moved me into sales. Here I learned all about epoxy, urethanes and other resinous products. Even got to help install them, go to training events with the manufacturers and drive all over the place to visit job sites and quote jobs, solve issues and set up projects. The definition of "Sales" in this company was quite loose. Being a cross between sales and project management to installer as needed.

Well all good things come to an end as this one did. New hires making a toxic environment. Boss not doing anything about it and it became time to leave. I decided that I wanted to go back to building maintenance as this was an area I enjoyed doing and had the most experience with. Got hired with a hotel as the chief engineer and that's where I am today. Great thing here is the manager is fantastic. We see eye to eye on almost everything and she makes working there fun so I may stick around for awhile

Last edited:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Well.

I went to trade school for building trades. Basically gave us a little bit of a lot. From Mason work to drywall and electrical. Everything to build a house. Loved it. I’ve always like tinkering with stuff also.

Through the years I always had quads and dirt bikes. Races them. Trail ridden. Everything. With that you have to buy parts. Well I got offered a job at a small motorcycle shop while still in high school as their parts guy. Working 30ish hours a week while in school and finished high school.

One day a guy came in with a Harley. Needed tires and some maintenance done. I took care of him and we got everything finished up. I also wrote service for them the shop. About a week later my cell rings and it’s the same guy with the Harley. He’s the parts director at the local dealership and offered me a counter job there.

I’ve always been told to never turn down a opportunity. Always hear them out. I went and interviewed. Hired on the spot. No job application. Nothing. Took a drug test and started here 2 weeks later. That’s been 14 years ago now. Time flys. It was a great move for me and I don’t regret it. I started at the bottom for 3/4 months. Shipping and receiving And pulling. Learned the general idea and was put on the counter to start. I’ve switched to different jobs and picked up different roles over the years but I still have the same manager. Still selling parts. But do all wholesale now. Never face to face.

Potthoffdmax

Mar 2, 2010
Kingman az
Graduated high school and was doing concrete/ framing for a construction company going no where fast.

While I was working out at the gym one day a guy asked me if I would like to do wildland fire. I said sure why not. Went in to the office and got hired on the spot. Started in 2007 as a seasonal worker, and now 14 years later I’m an engine captain and have been for 7 years. Crazy how things work.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
I started working when I was I think 13 in a body shop then a full service gas station through high school. Out of high school Dad quit Snap-on and started the family business. I did odd jobs and would help him occasionally until I decided to make the investment around 22 years ago to go all in. We are now in our 30th year as the only business of our type in the entire state of Montana.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I framed houses for 4 years after high school. During that time I was trying to get into the operating engineers apprenticeship...both 501 and 12 which was the heavy equipment side. Never made it high enough on the list to get called. My Dad worked where I work now and got me in on a special project. There was 6 of us on that job and they kept 2 of us after. I start my 22 year there this July and am #4 on the seniority list. Tom, I do the same thing to the guys in front of me. All within a couple years of retiring. Nobody asks me because I’m only 44 😂. Can’t collect my retirement till I’m 55.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Wasted 7 years on 2 degrees to go into a field I had zero education or expirence in. I was taking real estate classes and picked up a part time job as a mate on a charter boat, did not grow up fishing but the captain said that was better bc he would teach me. Turns out I was better than most at running fishing spreads, handling the tackle, boat care and keeping customers happy enough to rebook us. Did that for a few years then got an offer to work on a traveling tournament boat so I took the job. I was gone for 2 years solid, maybe a few weeks home total in 2 years, had to quit and come home bc my mom got sick. While working for the last boat owner I started to learn how to fix things that broke while we were abroad bc no one outside of the US could fix the boats systems. The boat owner and the captain told me I needed to go into electronics install and repair, I signed up for instruction and met a few guys from Garmin (which was up and coming at the time) and ended up being one of the first batch of Garmin certified installers in the country. It all just kind of took off from there, the 08 recession took out most of the older guys in the field just as I was coming in so there were opportunities out there you just had to be brave enough to tackle them...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Mechanical engineering. Made the mistake of getting good at programming 5 axis CNC equipment. Done a lot of defense jobs and NASA work. Then the shop got a contract with Boeing. I really feel over whelmed at work, nobody available to help or replace me, so I’m retiring when I turn 50, gonna try and make a run at a landscaping business at that point.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks for the stories, guys. (y) Just as I thought, some have their careers "forced" on them due to circumstances, some get lucky (right place, right time), some accidentally, some on purpose.

Last edited:

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
Started working at a young age as I grew up on a small farm in Maryville,TN. After a year and half of college I started road construction. After another year I joined the US Navy. Stayed there for 20 years working on sh-60b and p-3c. This set me up for my current career working for Gulfstream.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Growing up in a garage I always wanted to be a mechanic. I went to a community college program for high school and enrolled in electrical engineering on the premise of being able to design electrical systems in new vehicles. My junior year I had a gap in classes I needed to fill so I chose electrical 1. Turns out I was good at it. A few months into the class I ended up placing second in the SkillsUSA regional and state competition. Kept at it and decided to pursue my associates while I was there. My senior year I ended up placing first at regionals and state and 3rd out of the top 50 in the nation at nationals. Got a scholarship to finish my degree since I graduated as valedictorian. Got an electrical job shortly out of high school and have mostly kept at it. I ended up getting the fastest regional time for the Ideal Nationals and they sent me to Disney whatever in Orlando for the competition and got knocked out at 32nd out of 5k. Since then I’ve done residential wiring on custom homes, industrial maintenance, industrial installations and repairs on 12v DC all the way to 480v stuff as well as mechanical and pneumatic stuff. Currently doing lighting retrofits and commercial new construction in OH. Who knows what I’ll do next.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
It was my summer in between my Jr. & Sr. year of high school. I wanted to work and make some money. My mother played tennis with a lady whose husband was a plumbing contractor. Well I worked for 3 months that summer making $4.50/hr. digging ditches and being a grunt. I learned a lot that summer and liked it. For the next 2-years, any weekend he needed help and the summers, I would go work for him. Spent the next two years in Jr. College not knowing what I wanted to do. I dropped out and went back to him for plumbing again. Learned a lot more and worked for different companies for the next 7 years. I then decided to go out on my own. I operated my plumbing business for the next 27 years and it was great but my body was showing the signs of the construction trade and I knew I couldn’t do this a lot longer. I retired the business and took a job with the city as a commercial plumbing inspector. Did it for bit but it stressed me out and I didn’t like the politics. Took a year off and then I took a job with the school district. I learned a whole new trade (in about a year) and I now test the mechanical side of fire sprinkler systems for them. I’m only one of four people that are doing this work and I love it. Have 3-years in and 7 more to go before retiring.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mine started full circle when my dad got his first job loading and off loading cement bags out of high school (late 79). My dad and his brother noticed that the contractors were doing a hell of a lot of driving around d in the flooring industry as this place he worked for only sold thin sets, nothing else. My dad stated United Materials 2 years later when the old man he worked for moved to another building and rented the old one out to him. A year later, he brought on his brother (my uncle) to help. They were the first shop in phx to actually have tools, thin set, grouts, etc etc where contractors could come in and buy stuff at one place. Needless to say, they blew up pretty quick and they were working 12 hour days to just keep up. During all that he became great friends with a lot of people in the industry and was offered a job as a sales consultant for C-Cure. My dad sold his part of the business to my uncle and he took the job. Better hours, now had me and my brother to watch after and benefits.

He worked that job and by 96, my mom was looking for a part time gig. Our neighbor up the road owned a roof coating mfg business which used a lot of similar stuff that caulking is mfg from. They struck a deal together and my moms would sell caulking to my dads connections as a side gig. Little did they know that the moment they released pricing, their only competitor decided to send a price increase out. My parents got a flood of orders and within 2 years time, my dad quit c-cure (which was now bomat), they went full time into this business and had a building with their own production equipment. I still remember being on camping trips and them spending any down time wrapping tubes with a label for work on that upcoming Monday. They did not slack off one bit. As kids, each summmer we went down and helped every other day. We’d wash buckets, label, put stock away, or screw around as young kids do. My favorite part was lunch time and then going out on deliveries with my dad. It was always story time with him then on things I got to hear about his last. Loved that.

During all that, we grew up on quads, dirt bikes, I had a major infatuation with engines, cars, trucks and off road racing. My dad taught me a lot in maintaining my quad and how to ride. I was always in the garage with him when I could be. Come high school, I absolutely could not wait to start taking “automotive” as electives. Our teacher was awesome and I soaked that shit up like a sponge. I made it to two competitions foe the school under him and has a blast. Didn’t place well as I seemed to be having to help my partner on each comp instead of splitting up work. Sophomore year I got my first truck and needed a job to keep it around. I started at discount tire with the help of a family friend who was a manager of a store at the time. Every damn penny I saved from that job was going to a “long travel kit” for this truck lol. By time I finished high school I was working at discount tire still and had got my ASE certifications to be a master tech with basically no real world experience. I thought was pretty cool. I thought I wanted to me a mechanic for the rest of my life.

We are now up to summer of 2005 when I was figuring out what college to attend. My parents business was doing very well and afforded me the opportunity to attend a 4 year college. Went against my thought of just being a mechanic but my parents pushed me to go. I chose NAU and transferred from discount tire from phx to the one in flag. Only lasted a year there and I quit. The manager was a dick and kept cutting my hours. Summer of 06 I worked for family friends fabrication shop for Yamaha rhinos, it was Jagged X. I learned to use a bender, iron worker, weld much better than I could before, and really understand fabrication. Boy was that fun. Even built our race think for BITD at that time while I worked there.

When college came back, I went back up and started looking for a new job. I applied DT a mom and pop shop to be a mechanic. Wasn’t sure how’d that work for school but figured I’d see. The manager of the sho said they had nothing that would really work for me mechanic wise but he did have an opening to mop floors, clean shitters, clean the front customer area and make my own hours at 15 bucks an hour. He said “you are way over qualified for this position so I fully understand if you want to look elsewhere”. I said “can I talk to the techs and maybe help here and there on cars?”. He said “absolutely”. I said I was in! 15 bucks an hour was 6 bucks more than I got at discount! I busted my ass at that job and had a blast talking to the techs, making friends with them and seeing what issues they had to fix. About 4 months into that job, my boss calls me in and says DPS has an opening for a mechanic and his shop is contracted to send a tech over, would I want to do it. It’s mainly lube, tires, brakes, electrical and other odds and ends on all the cop cars and scheduling f would be done around my schooling. Hell yeah! Went over there and finished college doing it. I went full time in summer of 09 and after the crash that happen with work dieing off, me loosing interest to work on my own truck (had my 02 and Mike’s trans by this point), I come to realize the old saying of “a mechanic will drive the crappiest vehicle because by days end, they don’t want to work on anything else” was coming true.

I started applying for gov jobs down in phx to be closer to my gf (now my wife). Had an interview with GSA and surprisingly, my parents asked if I wanted to have an interview with them. Both went well but in the end, I saw more financial opportunity with my parents and had the option of buying the company. March of 2010, I moved back down and was fully immersed in the caulking biz. This let me keep my mechanicing/fabbing as a hobby and wear my mind out at work.

As of today, I’m part owner of spectrum and currently looking at buying my parents out by years end or summer of 2022. It was never anything I wanted to do but I find I’m very much enjoying it. We will see where I go from here as the years lead on! The “idea” is to be retired by 50-55 but we will see. That’s my goal and what I’m working for though

Long winded post I know but I always enjoy the history of people and what life they lived. That’s half the reason I love sitting in mikes shop and just bull shitting. Hopefully you guys get enjoyment from mine

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
James
It's been a pleasure watching a young man turn into a successfull family man and business owner. It's also a pleasure being your friend.(y)

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Lots of odd jobs and farm work growing up but always tinkering and working on go-carts, mini-bikes, farm equipment, etc. I wanted to go to a vocational school for automotive (like my dad) but he forbid it (he ended up being a machinist but had to go back to school as an adult for math and didn't want me to end up the same). Graduated from the local public high school, took 2 years of community college for an associated degree in computer science. Went back post grad for a semester (to be with the girlfriend) taking applied physics, chemistry, and some sort of algebra. Broke up with her and took a year off before deciding to get my bachelors in computer science. Semester before graduating I got offered a job at the local hospital taking care of there medical equipment repair database. Was a 40 hour job that took 10 (previous gentleman milked it), so I had plenty of time on my hands. Made friends with one of the techs and fixed his Corvette one weekend. He took me under his wing and started teaching me electronic medical equipment repair (saying it was not different than working on cars). I started working on stuff (with his supervision) in my downtime and took to it like fish to water. He convinced the higher ups to have me do that and get somebody else to do the database work. They started sending me to schools across the U.S. to learn from the medical equipment vendors and here I am 21 years later... LOVE my job and I have been maintaining a side business doing lawn care for 30 years (from grade school). I gave up a ton of lawns in 2018 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I still do some for family but even being in remission I find I'd rather spend my time doing other things so it will probably just stay that way and happy to not be working 7 days a week.

It was a right place at the right time and a BIG thanks to a gentleman who took me under his wing (may he rest in peace as he died from a brain tumor).

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
This thread couldn’t have came at a better time Tom. It’s really cool seeing how people made their way to where they are. Also really cool to see people passionate about what they do.

For me I literally grew up in two different shops. My step grandparents owned a full service Goodyear with 15 bays and 20 employees. My step dad worked there from the day they bought it and currently owns/ runs it. He’s ran it since I can remember. I spent countless hours there, playing in the tire rooms, hanging out with some of the best mechanics in the area. I started working there at 12. Worked every day after school, saturdays while they were open.Went to tech school at 20, spent 9 months and 50k on a piece of paper. Honestly knew more than 3/4 of the teachers. Came back, got married, went back full time to the family buisness doing light duty diesel work as the only tech doing it. I quit the family shop (which was supposed to be mine) at 28. They had notified me that year that I had been there 16 years and it just kinda hit me. I had some home issues in the year before I quit and it just pushed me further away from everything and everyone. So I verbally took a job out east, packed up and quit. I had been doing side work at home in my shop to fund my hobbies and keep my mind busy.
Ended up working from home for a year before I stopped in a boat dealer along my drive to get parts one day. They hired me two weeks later and here I am 2 years later the service manager for the place.
I am getting very burnt out again and sick of dealing with customers treating you like they stepped in shit and you came out of it. You break your back for them and go miles ahead of anything they could ask and it’s never enough.

So who knows where I’ll go next. I have a great supportive girlfriend who wants me to push myself and grow. However she also keeps me from working myself to death.

Safe to say I’m currently lookin at new opportunities in life. Hopefully something where I can be flexible and see my kids more, travel more, and just enjoy life again.

Sorry if I sound like a Debbie downer, just being honest where I am in my walk.

love this site!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Lots of odd jobs and farm work growing up but always tinkering and working on go-carts, mini-bikes, farm equipment, etc. I wanted to go to a vocational school for automotive (like my dad) but he forbid it (he ended up being a machinist but had to go back to school as an adult for math and didn't want me to end up the same). Graduated from the local public high school, took 2 years of community college for an associated degree in computer science. Went back post grad for a semester (to be with the girlfriend) taking applied physics, chemistry, and some sort of algebra. Broke up with her and took a year off before deciding to get my bachelors in computer science. Semester before graduating I got offered a job at the local hospital taking care of there medical equipment repair database. Was a 40 hour job that took 10 (previous gentleman milked it), so I had plenty of time on my hands. Made friends with one of the techs and fixed his Corvette one weekend. He took me under his wing and started teaching me electronic medical equipment repair (saying it was not different than working on cars). I started working on stuff (with his supervision) in my downtime and took to it like fish to water. He convinced the higher ups to have me do that and get somebody else to do the database work. They started sending me to schools across the U.S. to learn from the medical equipment vendors and here I am 21 years later... LOVE my job and I have been maintaining a side business doing lawn care for 30 years (from grade school). I gave up a ton of lawns in 2018 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I still do some for family but even being in remission I find I'd rather spend my time doing other things so it will probably just stay that way and happy to not be working 7 days a week.

It was a right place at the right time and a BIG thanks to a gentleman who took me under his wing (may he rest in peace as he died from a brain tumor).

Does your work expose you to a lot of radiation or cancer-causing stuff? Not a slight, just see you had cancer and so did your mentor. I fully understand correlation doesn't equal causation. Just curious.