Higher range boost sensor on a LB7?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
What does it take to put a boost sensor that will read higher on the Edge CTS on a LB7 say like 35 or 40 PSI I'm sure I have heard of this being done?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
What does it take to put a boost sensor that will read higher on the Edge CTS on a LB7 say like 35 or 40 PSI I'm sure I have heard of this being done?

Edge pressure sensor. Its kinda spendy but I hear its pretty accurate.

I don't know if there is any other way to make the stock sensor read higher.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
there is. just wanted to hear from a person that has done it I know Pat put a 100 psi one on something and it worked.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
there is. just wanted to hear from a person that has done it I know Pat put a 100 psi one on something and it worked.
I have a similar Honeywell 100PSI sensor on mine, and it seems to work just fine!

Here is a log showing 417.8 kPA (60.6 PSI) manifold pressure, or actual boost of 316 kPA (45.8 PSI):
417.8 kPa.jpg

The sensor I used is a Honeywell PX2EN1XX100PAAAX that I bought on Digi-Key for $96. I had to splice a plug in to the harness (the sensor comes with a pigtail), but it isn't hard to do. Works great!

Attachments

• 417.8 kPa.jpg
    417.8 kPa.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 38

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I have the edge one. Reads up to 100. Seems to be dead accurate

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I looked at the Edge part (here) and it looks exactly like the Honeywell. I suspect they are just re-labeling the Honeywell industrial process sensor (the one Pat & I use).

Which is a good idea, because Honeywell makes some seriously good stuff.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I have a similar Honeywell 100PSI sensor on mine, and it seems to work just fine!

Here is a log showing 417.8 kPA (60.6 PSI) manifold pressure, or actual boost of 316 kPA (45.8 PSI):
View attachment 36704

The sensor I used is a Honeywell PX2EN1XX100PAAAX that I bought on Digi-Key for $96. I had to splice a plug in to the harness (the sensor comes with a pigtail), but it isn't hard to do. Works great!

So I'm understanding this, with the Honeywell sensor you can read boost through the CTS without having to buy any more cables it just reads through the ecm like the edge is currently doing?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So I'm understanding this, with the Honeywell sensor you can read boost through the CTS without having to buy any more cables it just reads through the ecm like the edge is currently doing?
Maybe. I know I can read it through EFILive just fine, but I have to use the BOOST_DMA PID to read it. I am not sure which PID the Edge reads. I also don't own a CTS to test it with, unfortunately.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Does the boost register off the maf or is there a pressure sensor somewhere in the system that the CTS is able to read boost off of?

If I understand the OP's original question is how to make the factory sensor that reads boost read higher then the 23 lbs it reads factory

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Does the boost register off the maf or is there a pressure sensor somewhere in the system that the CTS is able to read boost off of?

If I understand the OP's original question is how to make the factory sensor that reads boost read higher then the 23 lbs it reads factory

MAF is the measurement of air before it gets to the turbo before it gets turned into boost. yeah I'm wanting a sensor to change out and read higher than the stock sensor and read boost through the ecm by rescalling the table in the efi live tune to match the new sensors scale. you can make the factory sensor read more.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT

You can use any sensor you want just need to set it up in the edge. But you still need the edge accessory harness to hook it up

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
You can use any sensor you want just need to set it up in the edge. But you still need the edge accessory harness to hook it up

I know, I'm saying is there a way to make the factory sensor that reads a max of 23psi read more...

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
MAF is the measurement of air before it gets to the turbo before it gets turned into boost. yeah I'm wanting a sensor to change out and read higher than the stock sensor and read boost through the ecm by rescalling the table in the efi live tune to match the new sensors scale. you can make the factory sensor read more.

This^^ so the question is, is there a way

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
This^^ so the question is, is there a way

No there is not a way. Think of it like this let's say you have a spring inside that sensor and it is uncompressed when there no boost and at 22 psi it is fully compressed. As the spring is compressed the voltage changes. At at 22 psi the voltage is at 4.8 volts. There no way to make that spring stronger to make it take more boost to get to 4.8 volts. Even if you rescale the sensor in the tune the same amount of boost is going to max the sensor out at 4.8 volts so you need a sensor with a more resistance against the boost so that it doesn't get maxed out till 100 psi and that would be when it puts out 4.8 volts. Make sense?

ctodd36

Nov 4, 2016
Otego, NY

View attachment 36704

How did you wire that sensor in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
How did you wire that sensor in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I added a connector to the pigtail on the Honeywell sensor that matched the factory plug, and just plugged it into the factory MAP plug. You could cut and splice in any connector you want, though.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk