High engine temps

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
So I've been through this before with some of you. I have made some changes since. Climbing a 6% grade for about 5 miles, 80 degrees plus or minus pulling around 10k. My engine temps climb to 230+ towards the top. I have installed and oil cooler. Man what a difference in oil temps. I went from 250 and at times 260 to my max during the weekend being 221. But, my ECT is still hitting 230+ rather quickly before I have to back way off. I'm running that Hayden fan clutch everyone recommend. I can hear it running, but it doesn't seem to have near the sound my stock one had. Any ideas what I should try next?

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
How long has it been since you cleaned the cooling stack? Mine started running warm on climbs, I flexed the AC condenser out of the way enough to get to the radiator directly with a hose, and ended up pulling the intercooler out as well and washing it out well. No more running warm after that and the AC works better as well.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Been a few years. Truck had 85k. Rarely off road and stored inside all the time. Can't imagine it's already plugged up.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Try the cooling stack, depending on your area it doesn't take long for them to get dirty. To much timing on the tow tune will make them run warmer to, if you do your own tuning that's something to check. The Hayden fan clutches are hit or miss, sometimes they are great, and sometimes they are not. Other times the AC performance sucks while parked idling and sometimes not. I've seen this on both the LBZ/LMM and LB7/LLY. On my LB7 I tried the Hayden first and had no AC while idling in hot weather, fan didn't seem to kick in until 220-230. Tried a Kennedy one, idle AC performance came back sitting in hot parking lots and the fan seemed to come on around 205-210 pulling. On my LMM the Hayden works perfect real similiar to my LB7 Kennedy one. Put a Hayden on my buddies LMM his AC went to shit idling but truck runs cool. There's been a few others I've been around with the same results.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hayden’s have been hit or miss on them working. Buy a Kennedy fan clutch and you will be good. I’d bet that clutch is shot

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I
Hayden’s have been hit or miss on them working. Buy a Kennedy fan clutch and you will be good. I’d bet that clutch is shot
I'm thinking the same. I remember my stocker used to really roar when it engaged, and I can hardly hear this 2886 run. I Know something is up because 220 oil temps with 232 coolant temps doesn't really make sense.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I'm running a hayden I just installed and did a big tow. 7% grades, 20K lbs toyhauler, 7 miles, 98degrees ambient. I did see about 220-225 on the ECT gauge but that was it. I'm running the XDP radiator as well as the XDP Xtra cool coolant additive. I also have 2020 oil cooler and external oil cooler so all things are a bit different. I wont say that the additive didn't help, but I don't think it hurt at all. I know 100% for sure before my build, I would have overheated on that pull with 98deg ambient temps.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I'm running a hayden I just installed and did a big tow. 7% grades, 20K lbs toyhauler, 7 miles, 98degrees ambient. I did see about 220-225 on the ECT gauge but that was it. I'm running the XDP radiator as well as the XDP Xtra cool coolant additive. I also have 2020 oil cooler and external oil cooler so all things are a bit different. I wont say that the additive didn't help, but I don't think it hurt at all. I know 100% for sure before my build, I would have overheated on that pull with 98deg ambient temps.
That's sweet! Any idea what your oil temps were?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
A little update. Something else is definitely wrong. I'm thinking sticking thermostat. Going to get a load of trees for our place. Truck ran 220 the entire way. The fan wouldn't kick in until it stayed at 230 for like 5 minutes. Oil temps where around 205-210. When it would finally kick on, it roared and cooled it down. I was thinking bad clutch. Well, on the way home, flat ass ground doing 65 mph. I was having difficulty keeping it under 225. My 27ft cargo trailer weighed maybe 5k. That's just sad. I got ready to climb a hill and thought this will be fun. 203 all the way up the hill and the fan was running at the top of the hill. 195 the rest of the way home flat and downhill. I'm thinking the thermostat finally opened. I don't think the fan would kick on on the way there because the hot coolant wasn't circulating through the radiator.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
A little update. Something else is definitely wrong. I'm thinking sticking thermostat. Going to get a load of trees for our place. Truck ran 220 the entire way. The fan wouldn't kick in until it stayed at 230 for like 5 minutes. Oil temps where around 205-210. When it would finally kick on, it roared and cooled it down. I was thinking bad clutch. Well, on the way home, flat ass ground doing 65 mph. I was having difficulty keeping it under 225. My 27ft cargo trailer weighed maybe 5k. That's just sad. I got ready to climb a hill and thought this will be fun. 203 all the way up the hill and the fan was running at the top of the hill. 195 the rest of the way home flat and downhill. I'm thinking the thermostat finally opened. I don't think the fan would kick on on the way there because the hot coolant wasn't circulating through the radiator.
Should add I installed a Kennedy fan clutch prior to this trip.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
There are two stats. The 180 deg. goes to the back and the 186 deg. is in the front. Remove air conditioning compressor and put aside, remove oil filler tube, clean up the mating surfaces, install stats, re-install housing, bleed the system thoroughly, top off fluid, dbl check that the system is bleed and then test out.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
got it done. test drive showed 190-197 consistently with no load on the interstate. its abut 85 degrees out. 190 cruising, and i saw 197 max with a 5 second wide open pass to about 95 going up a hill. does this sound correct?