High calculated fuel rate

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Used to think Bal rate was the gospel. But as stated above, if not stock, it's more just a decent guide to possible issues.
I run an emulator tool on crank/cam lines with injector solenoids wired up on LMM in bench setup. My bal rates read +- 0.1 and there is no engine attached. It's all about crank cam coloration and fuzzy math..
Is there any way you can modify the crank/cam signal to trick the ECM onto thinking that one or more cylinders are under or over powered to see how the balance rates respond? Like if you shorten or lengthen the pulse where cylinder #1 would be, will the ECM try and adjust the injector PW to compensate? And see how it also affects the main & calculated rate

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Is there any way you can modify the crank/cam signal to trick the ECM onto thinking that one or more cylinders are under or over powered to see how the balance rates respond? Like if you shorten or lengthen the pulse where cylinder #1 would be, will the ECM try and adjust the injector PW to compensate? And see how it also affects the main & calculated rate
I'm sure it's possible with a little tick coding. The Arduino emulator app simply generates pulse signals for 5v cam and crank with known wheel pattern and offsets. Then lets ya adjust the output speed of pulses on the fly, so the ECM believes it's actually an engine spinning. Will output over 10k RPM, which is how I learned that 5850R is where LBZ/LMM seems to stop firing.

Default code is written to keep both signals in perfect ms sync. So guessing if I can inject a couple ms delay at same spot on cam or crank signal every or every other revolution, the ECM would read that as a weak cyl, and add fuel to compensate. But also suspect ECM would keep adding fuel to a set limit, until the delay is corrected. But I will certainly look into it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That would be awesome if you could figure it out. That's a good point about the ECM continuing to try and bring that cylinder up. Does it have a fixed amount or is there some kind of pid control that it uses to ramp up and taper off when the pulse starts to match? It would be interesting to see how it handles this "perfect" engine of yours

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Unless I got lost in the conversation, but I thought the max the ecm would compensate the balance rate was +/-15. I know I've seen an LB7 that lifted an injector cup hold a steady +15

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'm going with +/-15 also. Might have once saw a +16, when had a solenoid nut back off on a LLY long ago.

I did some reading on the Arduino emulator options last night. After attempting to get it running on a Holley TerminatorX ECM, and then remembering I might have burned a trace on the board last time used it. Gotta try a different PWM output pin set tonight, and order a new one if fried.

Below is a direct link to how the code handles all the different wheel options. Basically just On/Of pattern tied to 2 different output pins. Don't see the Dmax patterns added in this latest release. And I had custom coded my version few years back. So gotta dig up that file on my old laptop.

But if anyone is decent with coding, feel free to chime in on how we can create an offset whenever I ground a pin via push button. That way I could introduce momentary delay on #1cyl to see how it changes all the related parameters if it thinks cyl is under fueled.

Reactions: juddski88