Hey all you trans experts

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
There is a noise coming from my bell housing. Sounds just like an exhaust rattle but definitely in the bell housing. I did some research and I'm thinking it's my flex plate but it's not near as loud or sound the same as others I've seen on youtube etc. I can barely hear it from inside the truck under acceleration and it goes away decelerating. Then, last night I pulled the trans filter and found a lot of crap stuck to the magnet. I have driven this truck less than 5k since I bought it back in August. Supposedly the trans was refreshed about 20k miles ago by Diesel Addiction. The trans shifts great and everything seems to be working perfect. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
could be the converter...
That what I was thinking. Weird thing is it couples and good and locks up when it is supposed to. It's a 1058. I will try to upload a video tonight so you guys can hear what it sounds like.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
When my old converter let go, it sounded just as tho the flexplate broke, but ended up being the converter unfortunately.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
I may take the starter out and check the bolts before the races this weekend. Dustin, did the converter act different or just make noise?

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I may take the starter out and check the bolts before the races this weekend. Dustin, did the converter act different or just make noise?

it felt fine until the day i drove it in the shop to pull the trans, if acted as tho it wanted to lock and unlock just idling, nearly killing the truck once. but other than that it felt "fine"

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
I just had a truck do the same. Converter bolts. Is it louder in park idleing ? Then when you shift into drive seem to get quieter?
Yes, definitely louder in park. But I can still hear it a little at around 1500 rpm but it's not consistent like in park.
it felt fine until the day i drove it in the shop to pull the trans, if acted as tho it wanted to lock and unlock just idling, nearly killing the truck once. but other than that it felt "fine"
Hmmmm, mine is not doing that yet. I hope it's the bolts. I will let y'all know. Thanks guys.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
When I first put mine in it rattled because the converter bolts where loose.
I hope the holes aren't elongated since it has been doing it for a while. Should I just tighten them or replace them? If I do replace them, should I go arp or are oem bolts good?

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I hope the holes aren't elongated since it has been doing it for a while. Should I just tighten them or replace them? If I do replace them, should I go arp or are oem bolts good?

OEM bolts won't work that's why mine rattled. Lol I didn't know that with a aftermarket converter they are to long. Pull the little cover off the bell housing and see if you can move the converter any back and forth with a screw driver. If it's loose, the bolts came loose some how.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
OEM bolts won't work that's why mine rattled. Lol I didn't know that with a aftermarket converter they are to long. Pull the little cover off the bell housing and see if you can move the converter any back and forth with a screw driver. If it's loose, the bolts came loose some how.
I wonder if the wrong bolts were in it to start with. If it's not one thing it's another with this truck.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
if it ends up being the bolts, youll more than likely have to replace the flexplate. i wouldnt personally just tighten them and go, definitely replace them.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
if it ends up being the bolts, youll more than likely have to replace the flexplate. i wouldnt personally just tighten them and go, definitely replace them.
Any suggestions on flexplates anyone? I was kinda eyeballing the BD.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I wonder if the wrong bolts were in it to start with. If it's not one thing it's another with this truck.

Well you would for sure know if they where OEM bolts, it rattled bad on mine. I just put washers and locktite on them and still like that today.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Any suggestions on flexplates anyone? I was kinda eyeballing the BD.

SoCalDiesel flex plate is my choice.
The BD plate is only a flex plate. You may have damage to the flywheel as well. That costs 300.00 extra. The SoCal plate replaces both so it will be cheaper in the long run.