help with small block chevy

05maxlly

need used tires
Jan 27, 2008
powhatan, va
i can see by some of the avatars on here i can get an answer to this i can t seem to keep the rockers in adjustment its a solid lifter cam with roller rockers the studs are pinned they havent pulled out of the heads or at least not yet i just measured all of them i think i have good locks with the allen head in them how tight should i get the locks and i am adjusting them gap to .010 so there not too tight only a few get loose random ones i can drive it 20 miles and i can hear them getting louder it is not crushing the springs let me know what you think other than putting a duramax in it

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Rockers

.010 sounds tight unless it's a tight lash cam. Did you put break in oil in the motor or just regular oil? It may have a cam going away. Jeff

05maxlly

need used tires
Jan 27, 2008
powhatan, va
i think i have my decimal wrong 10 thousands is what i set it too the cam was used and previously broke in (i think) the oil dosnt have metal in it i dident want to pull he cam out yet wanted to try it all 1st

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Usually mid 020's to .030. Would not try less than .020.

Remember your rocker studs could move due to improper studs. The factory studs are not machined flat on top & the allen head type lock nuts do not seat flat on them, allowing the adjustment to move.

For a test, start the car with valve cover off (oil may make a mess) & see if the pushrods are rotating. They should spin. If some are not spinning, investigate further as a few lobes could be going flat.

05maxlly

need used tires
Jan 27, 2008
powhatan, va
looks like i have factory studs as they are not flat i will flatten them and set the lash to .025 and see how it goes thanks for all the help i will follow up in a few days

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Usually the exhaust is a few thousands looser then the intake. Do you know what came is in it? Are you sure its a flat tappet?

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
Ours was usually .018 In and .020 ex on our nascar grind in the late model. We adjusted them every monday after a weekend of racing 30-50 laps plus 20 practice laps. Used cams are usually not a good idea and with any cam, if you installed "new" lifters on an old cam you take a chance of a lobe wearing down.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
lash should be between .018 and .022 . But i think your push rods are bent/bending. pull them out and check them. what type are they

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
they are on piece rods i forget the specs but none are bent

Are all the valves out of tolerance or just a few. one other thing is mushrooming lifters caused by high lift and high ratio rockers. I have ran into this several times. is it cylinders 6,8,5,7?

Bobcat

Dec 5, 2008
What kind of valve springs are you running with that cam? Was valve springs changed for the cam? You need different valve springs other than stock for that cam. Studs could be stretching/pulling. Usually doesn't happen if they are screw in though. Are you running roller rockers or regular rockers? Have to ask but you didn't put a couple hydraulic lifters back in did you? Was heads pulled off and reworked when cam installed? May be slightly bent valve? Cam lobe could be wearing off prematurely if cam wasn't lubed up and broken in right.