HELP!!! TRUCK ONLY RUNS ON ALL 8 WITH VALVE COVER OFF

03LB7 09LMM

Mar 1, 2023
winnsboro louisiana
I didn’t see that 😊. All this upper valve cover removing had me phased lol.

If you’re getting shocked when you push on the valve cover to bolt it down, seems the problem is at the valve cover. Bolt it down and check both harnesses to the cover. You should never get any resistance between the pin and the cover. And if you can hear it arcing there should be a burn spot somewhere.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Picture of the bottom side of the cover please. I am sure there will be a witness mark there some place.

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Glad it works but seems odd. Like Fingers said, picture of the underside of the Valve cover would be helpful. That kind of voltage/current there "should" be evidence there.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Funny story. When I built one of my engines, I had all the aluminum parts tumbled in ceramic media. (Polishing rocks) When I put the engine together I hand turned the engine over and one of the valves was stuck open. (oh damn!) Cover off, turns fine. Cover on, valve stuck. Turns out one of the polishing stones had wedged itself in a corner of the valve cover and was pushing down on the valve. Keep in mind that I had cleaned and painted these and NEVER seen the rock until I had problems.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Isn't there a baffle on the bottom side of the valve cover for the PCV? I don't remember when I had my LLY apart, but for some reason I am remembering there is something on the bottom of the cover. Is it possible that if there is an internal piece it has become deformed? Also, the reason for the divider is not always to divide, but to prevent contact from above. Is the divider taller than the studs?

Simple thing would be to get a piece of Kydex, drill a couple of holes in it and bend it up 90 so that it's a touch taller than the studs to re create the divider.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Isn't there a baffle on the bottom side of the valve cover for the PCV? I don't remember when I had my LLY apart, but for some reason I am remembering there is something on the bottom of the cover. Is it possible that if there is an internal piece it has become deformed? Also, the reason for the divider is not always to divide, but to prevent contact from above. Is the divider taller than the studs?

Simple thing would be to get a piece of Kydex, drill a couple of holes in it and bend it up 90 so that it's a touch taller than the studs to re create the divider.
It can't reach the injectors if that happens, the baffle is on the middle rocker stand between 2 injectors. It would have to be essentially 100% dislodged with 1 bolt missing to maybe reach an injector stud.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Lucky enough to heavenly
It can't reach the injectors if that happens, the baffle is on the middle rocker stand between 2 injectors. It would have to be essentially 100% dislodged with 1 bolt missing to maybe reach an injector stud.
Luckily I have only been under the valve cover 1 time. Was just a thought.

I would think if the injector is up that far, there is something else going on there. As mentioned, double copper washers at the bottom?

Reactions: 2004LB7

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The guy never posted pictures of anything, so we'll never know what he did or how the engine looked.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think what Tom was getting at, is that you never showed the underside of the cover that was given you trouble so we really don't know what caused it. And just like other bad "mechanics", many shops and dealerships, you where just being a "parts swapper" until the problem went away but never understanding what caused it or correctly diagnosing the problem. It would be helpful for the community to actually see what the issue was. There is a chance someone else down the road will have the same issue but have no spare valve cover to try out. Knowing what caused it can help us direct them to a quick remedy or at least tell them what to inspect. You kinda just left us hanging with a "it's fixed" type response. My 2¢

Reactions: turbovan

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
go back and read i definitely showd pictures and stated that i changed valve covers and harnesses on injectors and it runs fine
Showing the pics of the tops of injectors didnt tell us anything about what was really going on. Showing us the level of the injector tops to the lower cover, and the underside of the top cover, would've been far more helpful.

03LB7 09LMM

Mar 1, 2023
winnsboro louisiana
Showing the pics of the tops of injectors didnt tell us anything about what was really going on. Showing us the level of the injector tops to the lower cover, and the underside of the top cover, would've been far more helpful.
well i apologize but there were no noticeable burns or arching marks from what i could tell nothing looked out of the ordinary with it

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Total WAG here, but I would guess the leads off the injector with the broken separator were contacting the cover. In his picture, the bottom lug is turned down and bent in towards the head.