Help me diagnose

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I've got a 02 lb7 that cranks but does not fire. It is bone stock with a lift pump. It is getting fuel pressure from the lift pump. It is making rail pressure and has new injectors. May I get your thoughts or help on diagnosing this bad boy?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Make sure all of the pins in the large bale connectors are fully seated and making good connection. FCIM fuse?

Any codes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Security light?

Codes? Ficm good? Check the edu fuse

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
No codes or security light. I did try the security over ride anyways but no luck. I have a spare ficm Ill toss it in and try it out.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Show rpm while cranking?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No, needle drops while cranking. I dont have anything to check soft/stored codes. Just a superchip to read displayed codes. All the pins are shinny, making contact, but I put a little twist in them anyways. Swapped ficms and still no luck. Fuses are good too.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Dont remember exact number. But I used my buddys cts and it showed actual was just above command. Iirc it was something around 7 and command was 6 something.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Did the cts show codes

Last case unhook the glow plugs and see if she'll run on ether

Sorry for the separate messages. Can they be combined?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Did the cts show codes

Last case unhook the glow plugs and see if she'll run on ether

Sorry for the separate messages. Can they be combined?

It'll run on ether. II have checked the grounds. But I'll double check both grounds and fuses.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Well it cranks and makes pressure and runs on ether. So it's an electrical issue.

Try a new ecm and verify that ficm actually works. Or start tracing the harness back or ohming the wires.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Well it cranks and makes pressure and runs on ether. So it's an electrical issue.

Try a new ecm and verify that ficm actually works. Or start tracing the harness back or ohming the wires.

Its down to the ecm and harness. I swapped the ficm with a good one from a running truck. I'll have to get hold of diagram.
*note: I tried tuning the truck and none of my programers connect. I always thought a bricked ecm wont turn the motor over?

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
If it runs on either, you have a fuel problem. Pressure or air. Don't use the either to much, or you will be creating more issues. Recently my 2006 had the same symptoms - cranks, starts on either, sometimes runs for 2-5 seconds, no codes. Would run for 2 minutes when I primed the pump. Installed a FASS fuel system- problem gone. Some have found the bleeder valve (plastic) sucked air, some have found the filter support cracked. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk