Help: Light Saver module installation...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
So, one of the downsides to using the inter web for instructions is glitches...

I can't seem to get the PDF downloaded off Bens site for the Light Saver Module installation guide to my IPad, and that's all I've got, just my IPad. Soo, if there was a member that would be so inclined to load and post the PDF up on this thread, I would be most grateful
:hug:

Here's a link to his installation guid page, the light saver module installation guide I need is for the 03-07 model years...
http://www.btdieselworks.com/pages/electronics-installation-instructions

Thanks....

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yay
:hello:

Thank you very much:hug:
:angel:

:eek:Woah, that's allot of wires:eek:

It'll be worth it though...now let's see if I can get it finished tonight:D

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
So, I got the light saver module installed, with the heated seat option.

It wasn't all that difficult, but it was more difficult than the L/U controller, IMO.

I have a couple gripes/questions about it:

1) my "All On" mod with the diodes connecting the #85 pins of the light relays doesn't work with the module, with the diodes in place I only get parking lights:confused:

2) when I turn the key to the on position, the lights still blip on for a millisecond, then they cut off and stay off for as long as I have the key in the on position, then they stay off through the ignition cycle and come on just after the truck fires up.

I thought the lights wouldn't get "any" power until the truck fired up...?

Is there a way to make the module work and have an "all on" mod...?

I thought this module would completely cancel the daytime running lights and headlights until I turned the switch on
Also, in the instructions, Ben says there is a way to "program" the module to allow the lights to stay shut off until the brake pedal switch is engaged, Ben if you're reading this, how do you do that???

I think it's working as intended, I wired everything perfect, triple checked before I made the connections, and it's pretty straight forward...

Any help and or thoughts is always appreciated guys:thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So, I got the light saver module installed, with the heated seat option.

It wasn't all that difficult, but it was more difficult than the L/U controller, IMO.

I have a couple gripes/questions about it:

1) my "All On" mod with the diodes connecting the #85 pins of the light relays doesn't work with the module, with the diodes in place I only get parking lights:confused:

2) when I turn the key to the on position, the lights still blip on for a millisecond, then they cut off and stay off for as long as I have the key in the on position, then they stay off through the ignition cycle and come on just after the truck fires up.

I thought the lights wouldn't get "any" power until the truck fired up...?

Is there a way to make the module work and have an "all on" mod...?

I thought this module would completely cancel the daytime running lights and headlights until I turned the switch on
Also, in the instructions, Ben says there is a way to "program" the module to allow the lights to stay shut off until the brake pedal switch is engaged, Ben if you're reading this, how do you do that???

I think it's working as intended, I wired everything perfect, triple checked before I made the connections, and it's pretty straight forward...

Any help and or thoughts is always appreciated guys:thumb:

The diodes shouldnt have any effect. All the module does is intercept the signal going from the BCM to the relays. Which is "upstream" of the diodes. I have plenty of people (myself included) running the diodes in the relays for all 4 on hi, and there are no problems.

To fix the split second flash on startup, move the power wire for the LightSaver (the long pink wire) to the WHITE wire going to pin position A3 of the light blue BCM connector.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

It does not disable daytime running lights during the day...for that, just turn the knob to the spring-loaded "off" position, and DRL's will be disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle.

What do you mean by cancel the headlights? The auto headlights still stay functional...what this does is leave the headlights OFF at initial key on (parking lights will still come on though) at night time...then not let the auto-headlights take over until after the engine is running.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
The diodes shouldnt have any effect. All the module does is intercept the signal going from the BCM to the relays. Which is "upstream" of the diodes. I have plenty of people (myself included) running the diodes in the relays for all 4 on hi, and there are no problems.

To fix the split second flash on startup, move the power wire for the LightSaver (the long pink wire) to the WHITE wire going to pin position A3 of the light blue BCM connector.
Hey Ben-
Thanks for the reply:)

Hmmm....
Well, I will move the power wire to the A3 position, no problem there...
Then I will install the diodes again and see if the all on mod works....
I couldn't get the headlights to come on with the diodes in, just the parking lights:confused: so, I dunno what's up there

It does not disable daytime running lights during the day...for that, just turn the knob to the spring-loaded "off" position, and DRL's will be disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle.

What do you mean by cancel the headlights? The auto headlights still stay functional...what this does is leave the headlights OFF at initial key on (parking lights will still come on though) at night time...then not let the auto-headlights take over until after the engine is running.

:rolleyes:
Lol, ok Ben, do I detect some sarcasm there...:hello:
Yes I know about the cancel feature of the light switch, come on man, I'm not that new:roflmao:

This is my 3rd GMT800....;)

My mistake about the auto headlights being completely canceled out by the module:eek:

The module works as intended Ben and I'm happy with it, I will move the power wire to the A3 position as per your recommendation and re-try the diodes, I appreciate your input, and I know that you'll help me to get it straightened out...:D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Lol, ok Ben, do I detect some sarcasm there...:hello:
Yes I know about the cancel feature of the light switch, come on man, I'm not that new:roflmao:

This is my 3rd GMT800....;)

My mistake about the auto headlights being completely canceled out by the module:eek:

No sarcasm intended, honestly. :hug:

Move the power wire to the white wire, put the diodes back in, and let me know how it works.

Ben

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
No sarcasm intended, honestly. :hug:

Move the power wire to the white wire, put the diodes back in, and let me know how it works.

Ben

Works perfect now:thumb:
No power blip to the lights and the all on mod works:woott:
:D

Funny thing was, I had already tapped into that white wire in the A3 location for power for your L/U controller, and as I was splicing the wire the instructions indicated to for the light saver module, I had one of those moments when you know you should do it differently than instructed but do it as instructed anyways :rolleyes:

Oh well, easy enough fix, it's done, the light saver module works awesome and my all on mod works again, weird that the location of the power supply wire for the light saver module made a difference for that:confused:

Maybe a revision to the installation instructions is in order...:angel:

Thanks again for the response and help Ben :hug: