LB7: Help lb7 grinding

Jul 23, 2016
Kentucky
I made a post a little over a year ago and still have not been able to find the source, when i get up over 50mph and i coast and barely press on the throttle i get a loud grinding noise but it isnt all the time and sometimes sounds louder or softer i replaced u-joints, center support bearing, took apart transfer-case. I noticed marks all over the torque converter, also a shop told me they think is is my wheel bearing but not sure how the throttle would make it grind.

2ms27up.jpg

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ynn0ysVx1k&t=79s

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It is possible, I've seen it on mine, that it is just the u joints and their angles that is causing it. From what you described, it doesn't happen under load. But only when you are coasting and give a light throttle. For me this was when I matched the engine rpms with the tires so there was little load/torque on the drive line. If I was coasting and the wheels where turning the engine or if I was accelerating it wouldn't happen.

I first I thought I messed up the front differential gears or destroyed a u joint. But after checking everything out I determined it was my front drive shaft angle of off causing a vibration that sounded a lot like grinding.

And since I see you have a 6" lift I thought I would ask about your angle on the u joints. If the angles are too sever or mismatched it will vibrate and make noise that can be interpreted as grinding.

Just a thought

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
well from that video i would say its either the drive shaft angle or a broken flex plate. i bet its the angles tho. looks like there is no spacer under your carrier bearing. im sure one is required for the size lift blocks under the springs.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
maybe its an optical illusion, but in the beginning of that video it looks like the front part of the drive shaft is just flopping around in the carrier bearing?

around the 6-10 second range of the video

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
that carrier needs a drop bracket. are the lift blocks tapered or flat? stock leaves?

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
how close is the exhaust hanger to the rear driveshaft,,looks like there is a band on the shaft.