Headcount for San Angelo Dragway 11/07/2009

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
damn guys wont be making it up there this weekend. have a wedding to go to in Baytown. Leaving friday at 10 then comin back on sunday:(

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
:rofl: Ill do my best the way it is then. A low 13 sec pass in street trim would be awesome

:confused:

Im a little confused what you disagree with me about?

You prefer IFS over SFA?
You think the Allison can handle more power than the 6.4's trans can?

Personally im impressed with what the ford guys are doin with the 6.4. I mean no one here has made over 550 horses with tuning, intake, and exhaust and ran 12's consistently without breakin shit. I think they are good lookin trucks too. And that was my main point here, my truck needs some work and the new 6.4's are a nice truck.

Kinda curious what you disagree with me about

:doh:

if you are thinking about switching to a ford because of one problem (trans), you might as well just stop racing. and wait until you get a repair bill on a ford...:eek:

p.s. i'm not helping you work on a ford. :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
:rofl: Ill do my best the way it is then. A low 13 sec pass in street trim would be awesome

:confused:

Im a little confused what you disagree with me about?

You prefer IFS over SFA?
You think the Allison can handle more power than the 6.4's trans can?

Personally im impressed with what the ford guys are doin with the 6.4. I mean no one here has made over 550 horses with tuning, intake, and exhaust and ran 12's consistently without breakin shit. I think they are good lookin trucks too. And that was my main point here, my truck needs some work and the new 6.4's are a nice truck.

Kinda curious what you disagree with me about
Well, if you really want to know. No, I don't think the Ford transmission is any stronger than the Allison in "stock" form. One thing you need to realize is the Ford is totally electronic. They do things with programing that we do with pump and valvebody modifications. I could pull a transmission and drop in some transgo valves, a cutback valve, and shim the pressure spring and handle just as much abuse as any Ford transmission, but what's the point? All I would be doing is buying time on the stock clutches and converter, which is exactly what they are doing. If the transmission was strong enough to survive under that kind of power, why would there be companies out there that build them and sell kits for them?

No, I don't like solid axles either. The only axles that are stronger than an IFS are the old kingpin Dana 60s that don't use ball joints and have real spindles with serviceable bearings. The solid axles that are used in trucks today have the same stupid unit-bearing hub that our IFS has and they use ball joints at the knuckles that cause just as much trouble as ours. Not to mention that they suck to drive. Not just the ride, but the way they track down the road. Track bar problems are the norm. You either work on it all the time or you live with a truck that sucks to drive. If you don't like the IFS that's in your truck, why not spend money to upgrade it rather than wasting money on 100 year old technology. I don't buy the "solid axle is stronger offroad" argument either. Look at what type of suspension is in the front (and often even the rear) of most desert racing trucks and buggies. I bet you can count on one hand how many of them have a solid front axle. The only ones that do probably run in a class that requires stock style suspension. Do you think anything you do is harder on a suspension than that? I'll keep my IFS, thanks.

I won't disagree with the kind of power the 6.4 is capable of. I think it's nice they finally got a motor that you don't have to throw gobs of money at to get over 450 HP.

Last edited:

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
yea man i wanted to go so bad. and wanted to try for a lower E.T...Well theres allwase next time:mad: lol

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
:doh:

if you are thinking about switching to a ford because of one problem (trans), you might as well just stop racing. and wait until you get a repair bill on a ford...:eek:

p.s. i'm not helping you work on a ford. :D

Not one problem. A bunch of little ones and then the trans.

Dont worry im keepin the dmax

Well, if you really want to know. No, I don't think the Ford transmission is any stronger than the Allison in "stock" form. One thing you need to realize is the Ford is totally electronic. They do things with programing that we do with pump and valvebody modifications. I could pull a transmission and drop in some transgo valves, a cutback valve, and shim the pressure spring and handle just as much abuse as any Ford transmission, but what's the point? All I would be doing is buying time on the stock clutches and converter, which is exactly what they are doing. If the transmission was strong enough to survive under that kind of power, why would there be companies out there that build them and sell kits for them?

No, I don't like solid axles either. The only axles that are stronger than an IFS are the old kingpin Dana 60s that don't use ball joints and have real spindles with serviceable bearings. The solid axles that are used in trucks today have the same stupid unit-bearing hub that our IFS has and they use ball joints at the knuckles that cause just as much trouble as ours. Not to mention that they suck to drive. Not just the ride, but the way they track down the road. Track bar problems are the norm. You either work on it all the time or you live with a truck that sucks to drive. If you don't like the IFS that's in your truck, why not spend money to upgrade it rather than wasting money on 100 year old technology. I don't buy the "solid axle is stronger offroad" argument either. Look at what type of suspension is in the front (and often even the rear) of most desert racing trucks and buggies. I bet you can count on one hand how many of them have a solid front axle. The only ones that do probably run in a class that requires stock style suspension. Do you think anything you do is harder on a suspension than that? I'll keep my IFS, thanks.

I won't disagree with the kind of power the 6.4 is capable of. I think it's nice they finally got a motor that you don't have to throw gobs of money at to get over 450 HP.

Thanks for your opinion.

Its way harder for guys like me to drop the trans and drop in a few valves than to have it controlled through programming so thats why I like the fords trans in stock form. But I know its only a matter of time before it goes out too.

I will say the new f250s are vast improvement in ride quality compared to other SFA's. My dads got one and the steering is nice, it drives nice, and its rides pretty good. I just ordered bilsteins and Sulastics for it and were gonna see how it does for the ride.

I still personally like the SFA more but im stubborn, inexperienced, and I usually learn the hard way on this kind of stuff so I wont argue with you.

I guess im a little sore after my hub went out while I was driving down the road and tore shit up, cost 1100 bucks to get it driving again.

Im gonna replace my front end and put in as many beefed up parts possible and see how I like my IFS....Any upgrades youd reccomend other than idler pitman arm support and stronger tie rods?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Im gonna replace my front end and put in as many beefed up parts possible and see how I like my IFS....Any upgrades youd reccomend other than idler pitman arm support and stronger tie rods?
Honestly, I'm not sure how much you can do to beef up the front end without spending several thousand on custom parts. I think it would be really sweet to build a fabricated front end with long arm suspension and custom knuckles that have real spindles and hubs, coilovers instead of torsion bars, and some beefed up CV axles.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Honestly, I'm not sure how much you can do to beef up the front end without spending several thousand on custom parts. I think it would be really sweet to build a fabricated front end with long arm suspension and custom knuckles that have real spindles and hubs, coilovers instead of torsion bars, and some beefed up CV axles.

That's the kind of setup I wanna do but I have no idea how much that would cost. I talked to trent a while bak about switchin to a coilover setup using some Coilovers from QA1 but I never rreally looked into it.

Is there any custom suspension guys around who could do somethin like you were talking about? I mean if it's gonna cost 10 grand then nevermind but I could probably do 5.

And if my front end is saggin what parts are goin out or is it just the weight of my big bumper. Somethin is defintely wrong though cause when I had my tbars Maxed out it looked like they weren't even turned up.

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
And if my front end is saggin what parts are goin out or is it just the weight of my big bumper. Somethin is defintely wrong though cause when I had my tbars Maxed out it looked like they weren't even turned up.

i had my r bars bax out for a while and it did not raise it too much, now i have my cv's flat and my bumpstops have rubbed away from the suspension flexin alot on the road. but it rides soo much better than a sfa

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
I lowered it back down to normal and it looks like I drop the bolts out. People called me after I lowered it back down and ask what happened to it

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
torsion bars will wear over time. i'd like to get a lift for the front and crank my torsion bars down.

take your bumper off and see what happens...

Last edited: