Help: Head studs question

Diesel Dragon

Dec 5, 2008
Don't know where to post this so I'll try here

If the mechanic is changing the injectors are all the head bolts exposed so a change to ARP head studs one stud at a time, could be accomplished fairly quickly ??

If not what other stuff might be in the way to change to head studs ??

Has anyone changed the factory bolts to head studs one at a time with out changing head gaskets ?? And did the head gaskets last doing that procedure or did a head gasket leak because of lost clamping pressure while changing the bolts??

Anyone hear of any problems doing it one at a time ??

Saw some posts about a head studs only change being a possible cause for piston failure down the road since the block wasn't honed with torque plates.

But I'm not sure

I'd like to put in head studs for a turbo change in the future and if the motor is opened up now would be the time to do it.

Any knowledge on head stud swap ??

Thx

DD

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Don't know where to post this so I'll try here

If the mechanic is changing the injectors are all the head bolts exposed so a change to ARP head studs one stud at a time, could be accomplished fairly quickly ??

If not what other stuff might be in the way to change to head studs ??

Has anyone changed the factory bolts to head studs one at a time with out changing head gaskets ?? And did the head gaskets last doing that procedure or did a head gasket leak because of lost clamping pressure while changing the bolts??

Anyone hear of any problems doing it one at a time ??

Saw some posts about a head studs only change being a possible cause for piston failure down the road since the block wasn't honed with torque plates.

But I'm not sure

I'd like to put in head studs for a turbo change in the future and if the motor is opened up now would be the time to do it.

Any knowledge on head stud swap ??

Thx

DD

I did mine that way, just studded the stock head gaskets, you have to dent you driver side fire wall in to get the old head bolt out. Its not that much quicker than pulliing the heads off and just replacing the gaskets while your in there, all you lack is unbolting the manifolds, it still time consuming with the torquing process.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I did mine that way, just studded the stock head gaskets, you have to dent you driver side fire wall in to get the old head bolt out. Its not that much quicker than pulliing the heads off and just replacing the gaskets while your in there, all you lack is unbolting the manifolds, it still time consuming with the torquing process.

Remove the uppipe from manifold and you can leave the manifold on the head and the intake runner:)

It is time consuming