(graphic) Cops shoot Dog (graphic)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Say the Rott started running around and got in a fight with K-9 dog.

Do you Mr. Ghetto Blaster would have paid $100k for disabling a K-9 trained dog?

Cops can/will/do shoot dogs that approach K-9 dogs who are duty. They are too expensive to donate to the community as chew toys.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
You really think that dog could of killed that officer?
I am just saying that if they dog would of bit that cop, it would of been shot, and we would not be in this debate, because then it would of been in self defense. It is kind of like being a raiding force going into a terrorist held position. Anyone with a gun that doesn't drop it quick enough, he will be shot,

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I am just saying that if they dog would of bit that cop, it would of been shot, and we would not be in this debate, because then it would of been in self defense. It is kind of like being a raiding force going into a terrorist held position. Anyone with a gun that doesn't drop it quick enough, he will be shot,

But, he didnt bite him.

We also would not be in any debate if he pepper sprayed the dog.

I dont see any terrorists in the vid?

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
This is one of the dumber things you can do, you NEVER unrestraint a guy unless your next words are you are free to go. EVER. I know people have rights and I am very much for the free rights of the individual, but in this case don't be a jackass, if you want to tape it fine, but don't be a jackass and blare your radio to a point where it is distracting them. You don't have the right to jeopardize them going home to play loud music.

The cop has a second to decide what he is going to draw, I bet for all of you that have dealt with dogs something that big you would have thought about the same thing esp if you had a gun and were responding to a shooting and in a fight mindset to start with.

I just want to clarify. The guy looks/acts like a thug. He is probably such. I'm not defending him at all, or condoning unrestraining him.

Personally I am not trying to act macho either in regards to handling large dogs. My family has raised Great Danes, Mastiffs, Great Pyrenees, St Bernards and many other breeds all of my life. Ive dealt with my fair share of cujo's. I used to be a delivery driver as well.

Guess really, I think the best solution would have been for everyone to stop freaking out. If that could have been accomplished, I think the dog would have been fine. Maybe, if the officers recognized the dog situation earlier, and not been yanking the guy around. Not for the guys sake. If you just realize, a dog being the animal it is has certain instincts. If you get nervous around even a friendly dog, there is a fair chance it will bite.

Trying to be reasonable towards the officers involved. It just seems like a either a rookie mistake, or a small laps in judgement. I feel like officers would see plenty of cases involving dogs, and normally wouldn't handle it in that fashion. I know of one story, were a dog literally did 3000$ worth of damage to the outside of a police cruiser: officer inside. A little different situation, but they were able to even capture that hellion alive, and that was my point. Maybe the event could have gone better, if they had taken better control of the situation, instead of panicking. That is all

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Who cares? What happened has happened. I will start off by saying that I am a dog person but I'm picky about what breed I will own. IMO....Owning rots, pits, or any other type of attack instinct dog, is like storing a bomb in your basement and then being surprised when it goes off.

Bomb owner: "that was weird, it's never done that before!"

Just like every excuse of a dog's owner that has attacked someone. "that's weird, my dog has never done that before."

It could have been handled differently, but it wasn't. All I can say is that it was better that a dog died than a police officer get hurt or killed. JMO.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Who cares? What happened has happened. I will start off by saying that I am a dog person but I'm picky about what breed I will own. IMO....Owning rots, pits, or any other type of attack instinct dog, is like storing a bomb in your basement and then being surprised when it goes off.

Bomb owner: "that was weird, it's never done that before!"

Just like every excuse of a dog's owner that has attacked someone. "that's weird, my dog has never done that before."

It could have been handled differently, but it wasn't. All I can say is that it was better that a dog died than a police offIicer get hurt or killed. JMO.

I know I shouldn't, but I have to ask. Have you ever owned any of those dogs? In my experience people who say such things have never actually owned one. FYI Pit's were bred to fight other dogs and to be non aggressive towards humans, i fact if were to ever get a guard dog a pit would be the absolute last dog on the list, unless of course you want to intruder licked to death:) Bad owners make bad dogs PERIOD!

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I just want to clarify. The guy looks/acts like a thug. He is probably such. I'm not defending him at all, or condoning unrestraining him.

Personally I am not trying to act macho either in regards to handling large dogs. My family has raised Great Danes, Mastiffs, Great Pyrenees, St Bernards and many other breeds all of my life. Ive dealt with my fair share of cujo's. I used to be a delivery driver as well.

Guess really, I think the best solution would have been for everyone to stop freaking out. If that could have been accomplished, I think the dog would have been fine. Maybe, if the officers recognized the dog situation earlier, and not been yanking the guy around. Not for the guys sake. If you just realize, a dog being the animal it is has certain instincts. If you get nervous around even a friendly dog, there is a fair chance it will bite.

Trying to be reasonable towards the officers involved. It just seems like a either a rookie mistake, or a small laps in judgement. I feel like officers would see plenty of cases involving dogs, and normally wouldn't handle it in that fashion. I know of one story, were a dog literally did 3000$ worth of damage to the outside of a police cruiser: officer inside. A little different situation, but they were able to even capture that hellion alive, and that was my point. Maybe the event could have gone better, if they had taken better control of the situation, instead of panicking. That is all

I agree, they could have handled it better. I always liked the tazer or stun gun, I found the animals can sense the dry fire and would always keep them at bay. but in that split second I don't think the cop was in the wrong. Some people are more afraid of dog bites than others, but maybe that person has no issues taking on thug in a dark ally. I knew a few that were really good cops but were afraid of dogs

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I know I shouldn't, but I have to ask. Have you ever owned any of those dogs? In my experience people who say such things have never actually owned one. FYI Pit's were bred to fight other dogs and to be non aggressive towards humans, i fact if were to ever get a guard dog a pit would be the absolute last dog on the list, unless of course you want to intruder licked to death:) Bad owners make bad dogs PERIOD!

My family has, some where the greatest dogs ever, some just ended up being aggressive. had a rottie that was never trained in a bad way or abused take a dirty look at my baby brother once when he was just acting like a 2 year old. Also had a German shepherd that was great around us kids, but was way too over protective of us (would jack up the neighbor kid for just playing with us). Also had some shepherds that were the biggest puppies ever. sometimes you just never know. just like carrying a gun, if you walk around with a guard dog you have to realize what you have and handle it correctly. I would like to hear what if anything the owner was saying to the dog at that time

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011

I have never owned a pit bull or Rottweiler, but my neighbor is missing all the meat in his left calf where a pit bull chomped on him. ( he was riding by in his side by side and the dog ran out and latched on) It's impossible for animals to overcome instincts, and protection of family is a wild instinct bred deep into those animals. Yeah the owner may be safe, but if the dog thinks itself, owner or "family" is in danger, the dog will defend at all costs. I do agree with you 100% that bad owners can make bad dogs out of any breed though. My favorite dog I've ever owned was a German Shepard, Black Lab mutt. Super people and kid friendly, and very very smart. To say any dog will never bite someone is asinine. There are an infinite number of situations that can occur, and eventually one of them will trigger any dogs natural instinct to protect at all costs. I just feel some dogs are more prone to act aggressively than others.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
My family has, some where the greatest dogs ever, some just ended up being aggressive. had a rottie that was never trained in a bad way or abused take a dirty look at my baby brother once when he was just acting like a 2 year old. Also had a German shepherd that was great around us kids, but was way too over protective of us (would jack up the neighbor kid for just playing with us). Also had some shepherds that were the biggest puppies ever. sometimes you just never know. just like carrying a gun, if you walk around with a guard dog you have to realize what you have and handle it correctly. I would like to hear what if anything the owner was saying to the dog at that time

I agree there are odd ball dogs, but I know more people that have been bit by labs the any "guard dogs". A untrained dog is a lot more dangerous IMO then a well trained "guard dogs".

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
chill out guys u realize this was a dog right? :confused:

x2. My neighbors got mad because when my dog got hit by a 10 wheeler, I walked out in the road and shot my dog in the head with my .22 to put it out of it's misery. They called animal control on me! Did they think it was easy shooting my dog that had been by my side for the last 12 years?! No, but it's still just a dog. And sorry, 5 cents to put it down was alot better than $80 at the vet to do the same thing.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
x2. My neighbors got mad because when my dog got hit by a 10 wheeler, I walked out in the road and shot my dog in the head with my .22 to put it out of it's misery. They called animal control on me! Did they think it was easy shooting my dog that had been by my side for the last 12 years?! No, but it's still just a dog. And sorry, 5 cents to put it down was alot better than $80 at the vet to do the same thing.

I bet those same people voted for Obama care, cause that is going to work out so much, oh wait lets not go there!