Grand Tracker continual build

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Been doing a lot of driving back and forth to the new place and in doing so, I’ve been checking out dirt roads as I leave work towards the new house. Really been looking for whooped out areas to test suspension but mainly coming up on jumps and kickers that are still fun.

My latest rendition of valving consists of

Front compression

————————.008
——.008 flutter
—————.008
———.012
————————.020 flexy rate plate
————————.020 flexy rate plate
——.100
————————.250 hard rate plate

Standard ifp setting in resi

Rear compression

————————.010
——.010 flutter
——————-.020
—————-.020
————-.020
———.020
——.020
————————.250 hard rate plate

IFP set 5.5” in the resi

It has been working EXTREMELY good. It actually instills confidence in me to push the front end into big stuff and not worry about bottoming out.

Today I went out with a buddy in his 4 seat x3 to help dial his suspension in. He just picked it up and wanted to see if we could get more control in the whoops and soften up the chop. Found some whoops not 2 min from his house and of course I had to smash the tracker through them. What a blast. Got my buddy dialed in and then we just started playing for the next 30 min

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B5USzzl8rDs

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghpyi1w9nto

Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7CX6Z5leg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Went to moab a month and a half ago. Tracker did awesome... till it didnt. guess the pass side diff mount bolts were backing out and in doing so, they caught the stub shaft for the cv at the same time i was trying to climb a rock. BANG! snapped the stub shaft. So i got one days worth of trail running in, dad rode shot gun in his jeep the rest of the time and let me beat on his. hes a very trusting fellow lol.

First day was poison spider to golden spike to gold bar rim. I was apparently nominated to lead and didn’t know it. No biggy. Off we go. We had a 2 seat canam, 3 rzr 4 seaters, 2 jeep rubicon JL’s, a TJ rubi, and my tracker. I hit most the hard lines I felt comfortable with in the tracker. I was very afraid the link mounts on the frame were gunna hang me up everywhere. I actually only had them hang me up once. Hardly ever bottomed out either! When I brought it a few years ago, I was scrapping frame, rockers and crossmember on damn near everything. Clearly the additional 2-3” of lift I’ve done since then was a major improvement. super stable too. we took a wrong turn out of golden spike and ended up on rusty nail running it backwards. i had no clue till we got to the fall. i was the only one that went up unassisted and 0 vehicle damage. My buddy in his canam fell in the crack and required winching. no one else wanted to go up in fear of body damage so i went back down and led them back out the correct trail.

Front end flex ain’t nearly as cool as the rear but still substantial considering what it is.

Went up and over the boulders just last this and didn’t realize I was no longer on the correct trail. Started heading everyone down and things didn’t quite add up. Went around a huge horse shoe canyon and started some hairy climbs that push you toward the cliff edge. Then come to this waterfall and I’m like “ok, this for sure ain’t the trail” and my buddy scott goes “I did t know we were gunna run rusty nail! Good trail!” And I’m like “uh nope, never intended it!”. So initial assumptions were to climb the last fall and I’d winch everyone else that doesn’t make it. Tracker made it with out much fuss and the can and was next. Fucker fell right into the crevasse you have to straddle and everyone behind was like “nope! Let’s go back and finish the other trail”. They didn’t want body damage. So back down I go and scott gives the JL’s a ration of shit that the tracker showed them up . Little did we know, that was the last obstacle and going back out added 2+ hours to our drive. Oh well, everyone was happy the other way.

All wadded up in rusty nail.

Next day was hells revenge. Couple of my friends rode dirt bikes on the cycle trails and planned to meet with us at certain spots (I was jealous, it looked like a blast). I started out leading again. Crested the beginning ridge and went to make the up hill left turn that has a big ledge. No biggy in my mind. Start climbing and RF had to climb a 4ft ledge. Tires are turned and it’s got a good bind. I start testing the waters and I’m worried a cv will snap. Oddly, it’s not making any effort to climb. Little more throttle and POP. Shit, there went a rf cv. Oh well, I have 2 spares. Bypass the obstacle and get under it. As I’m taking it apart, I realize the stub shaft is walking around a whooooole lot. Sure enough. Snapped the splines right off. Turns out the bolts to the diff mount were backing out and caught the cv bolt heads. That coupled with climbing the ledge did it in. Ain’t getting that custom part made so I parked it and got in with my dad in his JL. Did the whole trail and had a good time.

Final day was Kane Creek of which I’ve never done. I was told by my buddy that “oh it’s an easy trail and just one spot on hamburger hill is hard but nothing nasty”. Yeah well, clearly shit changed because our group and 2 other groups got all wadded up on that hill. EJS must have dug the shit out of that trail from all the jeeps. Dad JL got hung up on a fall and the damn winch wouldn’t work. Help up about 20 people for 1.5 hours. Finally figured out the body shop never grounded the winch and jumper cable wires were not heavy enough gauge to suffice. So has to shuffle guys out of the way and guy at the back brought his jeep up with a winch to snatch block us up. Finally got us all rolling and out. It was a bitch for sure.

Last night then lead to some heavy drinking and shit talking. Overall, even with the breakage I had a blast. My uncle from Chicago came out to do the trip with us and ride with my dad. I had not talked with him one on one in about 20 years. We had small convos here and there when he could come out to visit family but was always pulled away to talk. It was really cool to Bull shit for

Reactions: SmokeShow

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Front end repairs after moab

(pics courtousey of fish)

got the diff out, pull the third out and used a magnet to pull the pieces out. had to pull the carrier bearing preload adjuster out as well to get all the metal pieces out. fish cleaned up the diff housing as i worked on the third. Knocked the last bit of splined chunk out and good to go. luckily the carrier didnt get tore up and only got a few scrapes. helps i didnt continue to wheel it like that either. plus side is, i know welding the flange on is plenty strong lmao.

Used a little "miller loctite" to make sure those bolts dont back out again lmao

I also changed the back wheel cylinder from f150 to ford explorer. the Explorer cylinders are smaller which significantly helped with my long brake pedal throw i had been dealing with ever since the new rear end. brakes are back to stock feeling finally and i dont have to worry about pumping brakes when im hauling the mail off road and coming to a corner. having no confidence in your brakes certainly kicks the speed down a few notches.

also fixed a few other things like new head lights (old ones were yellow), trans mount bushing needed a new one, fixed a few gear oil leaks and trans pan leak, fixed a timing chain rattle and proceeded to head to ZP21 with a bunch of other zuks from our club. all rather uneventful till the last day when i tried an optional line on broken arrow and blew a cv axle because i turned too sharp. that cage went FLYING out of the cv with some force! Threw a spare in and kept on trucking.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friQpBjHtnc

This one is a little extra that Fish made. we hit an OHV trail on the way back from broken arrow and i proceeded to have a good time. i can kick teh speed up more but the amount of dumbasses in rzr's kills the fun in carrying speed and makes more worried im going to smash one. we almost had a head on with a rzr on the day prior because he was being a dipshit and going about 40-50mph around a blind turn as i was coming around at a safer 20mph. Dude barely missed me. i about punted his ass right off the cliff. Wife was less than enthused lol.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jdlVMHcMFI&t=2s

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Which now brings me to this point. im hoping to have it all done by end of the month as we leave for Silverton CO on the 1st. if its not done, ill just cap shit off to get us by for the 9 days. still need to do the lower mount (probably tomorrow) and then start figuring out turbo mounting off the driver side manifold.

Still need to do the lower mount. Once that’s in, start figuring out turbo mounting

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Saturday, i spent a 10 hour day in the garage. things went well!

Finished up the intercooler mounts and welded everything solid. A/c line mounted nicely too it as well. That was nice. At the end of the tube I put 1/8” plate to help disperse the load into the thin ass sheet metal. See if it keeps it from cracking.

Next was pass side core support notching for intercooler tube. Driverside has plenty as the rad is offset to the pass side. 3” tube and a lot of trimming later, clearance for days and headlight only needed a little trimming to fit. I put the 3” tube back in to again help add support back to the core support. Thinassjapanesebullshit

Everything mounted up

And now the fun part, turbo mounting!

This mock up of where I could put it. Cruise control will be moved and overflow bottle will have to move. That’s easy enough though. Power steering line needed a little massaging too

It’s going to be tight back here but I plan to move the front brake line towards the engine and I can snake a 3” exhaust tube between the fender and steering stem. Worse case, fender gets cut out for more room. I have a feeling the inner fender is going anyhow when long travel goes in.

Everything fit so on to making the exhaust manifold work. So glad these come with non cast style exhaust manifolds. They are all .120 wall as well. Once I found where the turbo needed to be, threw some old bolts on and tacked the port into place. Cut out an opening, carbide bit rounded out the corners (hopefully prevent cracking there) and I started making 1/8” steel plates to fill in

That’s where I finished for the day. Manifold was bolted down to the bench and clamped to hopefully minimize any warping. It wasn’t exactly flat to begin with.

Yesterday i pulled the manifold off the bench and came out pretty flat. no worse than it was so we will see if it picks up exhaust leaks with back pressure from the turbo now.

Also put the oil feed lines in. Feed comes from the oil pressure sensor port and instead of t-ing off it with a steel t or brass, i ran a line from there to the inner fender, put a manifold in with extra ports, put the switch in one of the ports and then ran a line to the turbo. My line is far too long so i have another coming that is shorter. i have extra ports on the manifold so i can add a pressure gauge down the road if i want or a temp gauge. I then bolted the manifold up and set the turbo on the manifold flange. i think i may add some extra supports to the turbo to help keep from cracking the manifold. thats some decent leverage that will be getting slammed around on there that it never had before. No pics but ill take some tonight

Reactions: SmokeShow

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Hell to the yes.

why is boost on engines that isn’t supposed to have it so cool.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That, I don’t know. What’s better/worse is I’ve yet to find anyone who has done it this way. I’ve only found two over the last 6 years that were force induction 2.5 v6 and they were full on race vehicles for drag racing/car show stuff.

I did find one guy with a 2.0 v6 that turboed his and I’ve been bouncing things back and forth with him. They are a little different but pretty close to the same

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You would like my buddies hell cat gladiator. It's on 37's with bead locks, looks good. He just picked up his new diesel gladiator, that thing gets crazy mileage for a jeep. What are your hp goals for it? Injectors available to support?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You would like my buddies hell cat gladiator. It's on 37's with bead locks, looks good. He just picked up his new diesel gladiator, that thing gets crazy mileage for a jeep. What are your hp goals for it? Injectors available to support?
Not looking for a ton of power. This thing has no torque being a 2.5 v6 so the turbo is there to help that. Right now it runs at 2750rpm down the highway at 75mph. Not an issue for any normal american engine but unless you are over 3400rpm, this thing aint making shit for power. So it will down shift to 3rd with any little hill, head wind, or if the whole family loads up and we head out of town with it. it will run 4200-4500 rpm all day long but i dont want to hear the cooling fan and exhaust that long unless im pounding on it off road. Im hoping around 225-250hp over the stock 155 it makes (this is all crank hp). Should be easily doable on 8psi. No issues on injectors, i have stock supra injectors i ran in it for a long time to make a tune for them but factory is known to be severely oversized in my research. very very few guys have turboed this engine but the couple i found ran up to 15psi on stock injectors and just a regulator set to 1:1. We will see how she goes! At the end of the day, this thing has to take many many dirt miles and get me back. if it starts giving me issues after i get the bugs worked out, its getting an engine swap.

went out of town this past weekend and took the kids up riding in the cinders so no progress on the old girl. Hopefully get out there after work tonight and start on the exhaust crossover tube.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)