Got rear ended. Need a list for the shop

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Got rear ended pretty good the other day. Was traveling 45mph, some dumbass nailed me from behind at 65+. Hit straight on my empty hitch and some of the bumper. It was a solid hit that jostled me around pretty good. Dude kept trying to push me forward, so I hit the brakes and brought us both to a stop (he was on/in my rear end). Once stopped he was still burning rubber trying to push me for a good 20 seconds. When he stopped, I went forward and pulled off the road. He drove off. Cops called reports filed etc etc, now I need to come up with a list of things I wanted addressed with the adjuster.

As of now and obvious I'll be getting a new hitch and bumper, maybe tailgate as it's out of adjustment and damaged. The truck now has a good shimmy under way, clunks over bumps from the rear and squeaks from the rear when decelerating. Shimmy is on initial take off, after large bump, and anything over 40mph. Squeak only noticeable when off throttle, present with brakes engaged or not. Feels very loosy goosy on the highway when turning around bends.

From there I have them doing a full inspection of:
Transfer case, u joints, driveshaft, pinion yolk, full rear axle including brakes and the leaf assemblies. Anything I missed? Trans was done last week by Evan and I'll be pissed if that baby is hurt at all.

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Wow, hope that new trans isn't damaged. What was the other person driving? I'd imagine some drugs were involved? Or at minimum some alcohol?
I'd make sure to look over the springs, u bolts, and spring perches on the frame real thoroughly being it's driving all funky.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
Hey man sorry to hear about that, glad you are okay. Make sure they check the frame where your trailer hitch receiver bolts in. I got hit at like 15mph, but it bent the hitch receiver down, and technically bent my frame at the very end where it bolts in. Was this any serious damage, not at all, it bent right back where it was supposed to be when I put the new hitch receiver on, however it did get me a lot of $! I definitely bought the truck back after they totalled it for that lol. Make damn sure if they do total it, that the insurance company goes off of local comps. They tried giving me comps from out of state. They didn't want to give me the 5 comps right outside Fort Carson because it cost them another $6,000 hahahaha. I did a rebuttal, they got a 3rd party guy involved and he hooked it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Yeah me too! He said just watch for leaks but probably good to go otherwise.

Roger that on the leafs and hardware. Something's definitely tweaked now just gotta find it.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
If he hit you that hard, you should make sure the body shop checks the frame for straightness. If you have a shimmy, chances are that the rear axle is out of alignment from driveshaft vibration. Good to hear that you're okay.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
It won't be totalled. Visible damage is bumper and small piece of tailgate only. I guess if the frames bad maybe but I just can't think this beauty would get totalled for a fixable frame tweak. Who knows though.

If it is my insurance will be paying me for the work I did this year on her, but I'd rather avoid that and just make sure she's buttoned up right. Can't stand when things aren't right

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Yeah definitely going to make them put it on the rack and check trueness. Thought I wrote that above but I just re read and realized I didn't haha. So double down on frame and suspension and driveline, so basically everything out back hahaha.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Thanks for the well wishes too boys, save em for the truck though haha I'll rub some dirt in my own wounds. Long as the truck is happy I can deal with a stiff back hah

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
Watch your fuel gauge. Pretty sure when I got rear ended it ended up snapping pieces in my sending unit. Didn't notice until a while later that my fuel gauge was off. Reading dead empty at times when there was lots of fuel. It showed up way after the accident so I had to eat the cost of repairs.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would check the engine and transmission mounts / cross members. Any impact has the potential to jar them around as that is a lot of weight to move

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Good call on engine mounts, thanks for that. Just put a new trans mount on a month ago or so and have a poly spare of those if needed.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Watch your fuel gauge. Pretty sure when I got rear ended it ended up snapping pieces in my sending unit. Didn't notice until a while later that my fuel gauge was off. Reading dead empty at times when there was lots of fuel. It showed up way after the accident so I had to eat the cost of repairs.

Roger that, thanks for the heads up. Just refueled and that's good for now at least hah.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Glad you are OK, hopefully the sore back is nothing serious and long lasting.

If you get rear ended and now have a shimmy, can you tell if its front or rear? might be a bent or out of balance driveshaft. If you used your truck to stop him, then there was a lot of stress on the leafs possibly causing the drive shaft to get tweaked or the universal joint. Also with that much force, it would be like jacking the truck up, spinning the tires to 10+ MPH and dropping it on the ground. Lots of things to take the shock.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
Yea I had sending unit issues too after I got hit. Even if you don't want it totalled, make sure they check, even for the most miniscule frame bend. All that was bent on mine was the lip on the very end where that receiver bolts up. It might have bent the very end down 1/4 of an inch but it was technically a bent frame as far as they were concerned. I think I have the pics on my old phone. It didn't bend the whole frame down 1/4 inch, it was just the very bottom edge of that C channel (or whatever the hell it's called) on the very back. It was the most superficial, ridiculous, miniscule, "bent frame" I could ever imagine, but if they're willing to pay you for it, take it. It's not your fault, take that insurance company for everything. (assuming you find the guy who hit you).

I'm in no way trying to tell you what to do, but just trying to be helpful, so I apologize if I'm driving you nuts with my posts, just wanted to give my input on what the process was like for me. That was my first car accident, and i had no idea how to deal with an insurance company, and they definitely tried to take advantage, even though i was the one hit, and it was not my fault. I feel like I wound up getting the most $ for my truck, and it wasnt through being shady or anything, but being persistent, and saying no to their lower offers. I had done a bunch of recent performance work to my truck too, and I made sure I got paid for it. If they do decide to total, but you want the truck DO NOT tell them that you want to buy it back until you reach the exact number that you are owed from them. They may tell you that they won't negotiate if you want to buy it back, and that you can't buy the vehicle back if you refuse their initial offer (state Farm did anyways). That is complete bullshit. They started at 14k for my truck, and by the time I was done, I was at almost 22k. When I agreed to that and said, "oh yeah, and I'm buying it back" they were so pissed, because I just got another 8k out of them, and there was nothing they could do about it. Gather receipts for all your aftermarket stuff and add that to the average of 5 local comps. That's what they owe you, and not a penny less, and they will pay it if you stay stubborn like I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I got rear ended in my LLY from a dead stop by a guy doing 35 mph in an S-10, it just bent my bumper a little and it totaled the s10, definitely get the frame checked and the driveline, I never did but I didn't care, all I ever found wrong with mine was bad trans mounts a bad yoke, but that was from me and my foot.

I would have chased him down and rammed his shit until I was content. But I go overboard pretty easy. I played bumper cars with a 97' f350 right after I got my LMM and the ford lost by a long shot, I hit the truck 4 times, first time was head on at 40. These trucks are tough.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Thank God I just made it back through West Virginia without running into you on the road:spit:

It was my dads plow truck, his driver almost wrecked my wife driving like a 16 y.o., and almost hit an old woman head on and caused her to wind up in someone's yard, pissed me off, told them to park the pile of shit or I would, they didn't so I did. cost me a fortune to get out of it, but would have cost me more if he would have wrecked her.

They now have nicer trucks and better drivers, see, I taught them something.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Hahaha wv.

I almost followed him but it would have been a bloody mess if I did, figured I'd swallow my rage and keep things simpler hahaha

Thanks for the tips boys

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Hahaha wv.

I almost followed him but it would have been a bloody mess if I did, figured I'd swallow my rage and keep things simpler hahaha

Thanks for the tips boys

Yes sir, rage makes things expensive quick, gotta pick your battles, I suck at that, I'm always ready to get er'.

Personally, if you're really dead set on keeping that truck, check the springs and driveline, and heck with the rest, I'll almost bet the frame is tweaked a little bit, you can look at the coating around the cross members, if there's any fresh cracks in the coating or bunched up from flex, it'll tell you what's up. If you can't see any spots around them, not bad enough an alignment can't fix.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I'm not dead set on it, just doubt it'll be totalled. Sucks I'm just about at my 1 year anniversary with her. I intend to get new springs and axle at the least, and a frame check.

Most of my coating is spotty right now anyways so might not be able to use that as a method but good idea. I'm gonna spend some time under her tomorrow before the adjusters have a look Thursday. Squeak is getting more prominent on rear wheel rotation and I'm binding in the slow 90 degree turns