Got a new head unit on the old LBZ.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Well I had a few guys make fun of my old LBZ and me for still listening to CD's. Been meaning to get a new radio because the CD player only worked right 1/2 the time anyways. I didn't want anything too fancy, but wanted quality
and to be able to have hands free calling and Bluetooth music. I was a little torn in between trying the new android head units. Because they are open source and you can just about do whatever you want with them and they are cheaper. I also hate the way a lot of the factory/ big name radios integrate smartphones. It just doesn't seem to work very well. In the end some guys talk me out of that and just going with one of the big name brands radios. Hopefully it works well for a while. I got a Alpine 650 and back up camera for $350. Radio is in, but I need to finish the camera still. Only played with it for about 15 minutes it seems to work pretty nice. I have subs already but other than that I just tied into the factory Bose system.

Attachments

• 20221204_195515.jpg
    20221204_195515.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: Hoser and juddski88

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well I had a few guys make fun of my old LBZ and me for still listening to CD's. Been meaning to get a new radio because the CD player only worked right 1/2 the time anyways. I didn't want anything too fancy, but wanted quality
and to be able to have hands free calling and Bluetooth music. I was a little torn in between trying the new android head units, Because they are open source and you can just about do whatever you want with them and they are cheaper. But I hate the way a lot of the factory/ big name radios integrate smartphones. It just doesn't seem to work very well. In the end some guys talk me out of that and just going with one of the big name brands radios. Hopefully it works well for a while. I got a Alpine 650 and back up camera for $350. Radio is in, but I need to finish the camera still. Only played with it for about 15 minutes last it seems to work pretty nice. I have subs already but other than that I just fact tied into the factory Bose system.
Let me know how you like this head unit, I need something for my truck and I am not a fan of the single din I have. While it works well, it doesn't allow me the "convenience" of things like apple carplay or navigation.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Looks good! I am not a big fan of the volume buttons instead of the knob though. Probably just a thing to get used to though as most double dins do it like that now.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Let me know how you like this head unit, I need something for my truck and I am not a fan of the single din I have. While it works well, it doesn't allow me the "convenience" of things like apple carplay or navigation.

Do you have a newer truck with Carplay? It's has been my experience it sucks. I had to buy a new cable every month and had quite a few other connectivity issues. I also put 50K a year on my truck. It's pretty much a mobile office. I'm hoping this is better then what factory GM and Ford stuff, but I'm not holding my breath. Bluetooth stuff seems fine on them though. So hands free calling and listening to music on your phone is fine. Thats one reason I kind of wanted an Android based HU. They seem to communicate better with phones.

I'm am going to test out the android auto on my vacation at the end of the month pretty good.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Looks good! I am not a big fan of the volume buttons instead of the knob though. Probably just a thing to get used to though as most double dins do it like that now.

Volume knobs are still out there. Lots of people seem to still want them. I always use my steering wheel buttons or the touch screen though. So I don't like the clutter.

Sony had 1 I was looking at it was the 1000 something. There where a few android based ones too.

I was told to stick with Sony or Alpine now days. That probably more my buddies bias thats still into car audio, but who knows.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Anyone still pull Fuses before the tune a truck? I never have with my factory stuff, but now I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be a way to fully turn off this HU without pulling the fuse. I still tinker with tuning a lot, so there would be a big hassle to pop the hood to pull the fuse all the time.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Anyone still pull Fuses before the tune a truck? I never have with my factory stuff, but now I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be a way to fully turn off this HU without pulling the fuse. I still tinker with tuning a lot, so there would be a big hassle to pop the hood to pull the fuse all the time.
On a lbz, it shouldn't be needed. They flash on the GMLAN bus. Only thing on that is ecm, TCM, gpcm...maybe something else. Unlike 01-05 where everything was on the class2 bus, and if something on the bus doesn't shut up when it's supposed to, it'll cause issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
@Dozerboy In my 99 I have a Kenwood single din and I put a Kenwood DD into my sister's Honda Civic a year or so ago. They are alright.

Also I will agree with you on CarPlay. It is hit or miss in terms of how well it works. That HU I was talking about above seems to work pretty well but I have a 2022 Q5 loaner that CarPlay is absolute garbage on. I don't know if it is just the MMI or what but it is absolutely awful.

Reactions: Dozerboy

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nice unit. I always liked how Alpine radios present themselves. Cannot stand Android Auto, though. I have it in the Regal and wish I didnt.

Reactions: Dozerboy

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
the grumpy old man in me is coming out. I just want factory radio with Bluetooth. So I use a $15 Bluetooth adapter in the cig lighter.

I have never been in something that had working car play that I liked.

Although having nav on the dash would be nice sometimes.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What did you need to change on the faceplate to look correct?
Not quite sure what your talking about exactly. It's just a double din radio with an universal install bracket. Double din is the size. A lot of the older radios where Single din so they didn't take up all the space of GMs factory head units. That's not the case anymore with the big screen on most new stuff. I did modify the brackets and mounting holes a little to get it to to sit square and centered in the dash.

Back when I did a lot of stereo work I used to bitch about GM and their Double din radios. Looks I that is one thing they got right though now. Even though getting a single din with a large detachable or folding screen is a option to. I like clean factory-ish looking installs.

One really nice thing about this radio is it's only 3" deep, so I didn't have to cut any of the back of the dash out. It looks like you have to do that on a lot of others full depth radios. I had tons of room for all the BS Bose adapters.

Reactions: 07mydmax

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
the grumpy old man in me is coming out. I just want factory radio with Bluetooth. So I use a $15 Bluetooth adapter in the cig lighter.

I have never been in something that had working car play that I liked.

Although having nav on the dash would be nice sometimes.
Im grumpy and cheap lol, but I'm not a fan of those piggyback FM transmitters. I feel like they are always a pain to get a clean signal with, or because I travel a lot I had to change stations a lot. I'm hoping the GPS and everything on my phone will work ok on this one, but I won't hold my breath. The only real problem with it on my phone is I hate having GPS talk to me so the sound is off. Then I tend not to pay that much attention to it and miss my turns or changes in my route due to traffic.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Do you have a newer truck with Carplay? It's has been my experience it sucks. I had to buy a new cable every month and had quite a few other connectivity issues. I also put 50K a year on my truck. It's pretty much a mobile office. I'm hoping this is better then what factory GM and Ford stuff, but I'm not holding my breath. Bluetooth stuff seems fine on them though. So hands free calling and listening to music on your phone is fine. Thats one reason I kind of wanted an Android based HU. They seem to communicate better with phones.

I'm am going to test out the android auto on my vacation at the end of the month pretty good.
Our "main" vehicle doesn't have carplay. Every time I get into my parent's newer Jeep and use carplay it works very well. The multiple rental cars we've had with carplay have all suited my needs well. I cannot say I've had any issues with connection etc, I've only ever used high quality cables which have lasted quite some time unless I do something dumb and break it. The things I want out of carplay is the ability to display google maps and the ability to play music off my phone. My DSP amp will handle all of the signal processing so I am not at all worried about that.

I haven't used android auto ever so I don't know how much different it is than apple carplay.

I like how that Alpine 650 has "breakout" cords for everything, allows it to be tucked much easier. I also like the ability to run a dash/backup cam.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've only ever used high quality cables which have lasted quite some time unless I do something dumb and break it.

I haven't used android auto ever so I don't know how much different it is than apple carplay.

I like how that Alpine 650 has "breakout" cords for everything, allows it to be tucked much easier. I also like the ability to run a dash/backup cam.

I only used OEM cords. The issue was probably more how much I used them then anything. $15 for a new cord every month got old fast as well as the connectivity issues. Last time I used it on my work truck it locked up my radio and it didn't start working again until I shut my truck off for a few hours. At work I spend way too much time on the phone and driving to not be able to do hands free calling. I'm so used to hands free calling I feel very impaired now when I have to put a phone up to my head while driving.

I've had several of both IPhone's and Android's even both at the same time. They are pretty much the same in my book. Never had one that worked better them the other. It always seems to be more related to the radio/vehical.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i had issues with the carplay in my truck for a while, then the system had an update and its been working good. i do hate the fact i have to plug it in. In a world today where everything is wifi and bluetooth, why the hell isnt carplay? on road trips, i use it all the time for waze, spotify, texts and phone calls. its nice not being distracted. i want to put one in the tracker but i currently have both my single din car radio and VHF race radio in the double din location. if they come out with a wireless carplay, i may have to relocate the race radio

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i had issues with the carplay in my truck for a while, then the system had an update and its been working good. i do hate the fact i have to plug it in. In a world today where everything is wifi and bluetooth, why the hell isnt carplay? on road trips, i use it all the time for waze, spotify, texts and phone calls. its nice not being distracted. i want to put one in the tracker but i currently have both my single din car radio and VHF race radio in the double din location. if they come out with a wireless carplay, i may have to relocate the race radio
There are wireless versions that act as if it is plugged in. I haven't seen this from any OEM but I have seen it in the aftermarket. Look at "The Magic Box" or "Stream To Your Car" as they're very very similar devices that "simulate" a phone essentially. They allow full streaming etc.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There are wireless versions that act as if it is plugged in. I haven't seen this from any OEM but I have seen it in the aftermarket. Look at "The Magic Box" or "Stream To Your Car" as they're very very similar devices that "simulate" a phone essentially. They allow full streaming etc.
its more the point that the tech is there and there is no reason we should need to drop more money on an acc to use as it as it should be.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
its more the point that the tech is there and there is no reason we should need to drop more money on an acc to use as it as it should be.
I agree, it is insane in 2022 we can't do it via wireless. I think the reason comes down to bandwidth that bluetooth can support but who knows.