Goodbye dmax world

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
I feel the same exact way. I don't have as much as most of these guys on this site. But I can't even get my Allison built just because of the price. After looking into the trans, turbo, injectors, cp3, and rods; I feel I would be better off just saving up and buying an F-Body or GTO to satisfy my speed needs.

Even thought about selling the truck to get an f-body/gto but with my truck being paid for and me having a place in my heart for it, be hard to sell it. Might just save my money for another car oppose to buying parts for the Dmax.

Lately I've been working more on my dad and I's 23' T-Bucket Hot Rod, I'm more excited seeing it running than buying parts for my truck...

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
It can be an expensive hobby, but I think my need for speed has cooled off. (plus I work hard labor for small pay)So for me lots of mods are financially out of reach. I just looked at some of the mods that people are doing as a huge waste, especially on a vehicle that depreciates at a huge rate. Then again, if I had some disposable income, my views might be different!;)

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I think that guy is on this site. Or maybe it's a different diesel site i get on.

I can't find that thread but I did find out the truck was from Colorado and the guy said the tranny wasn't liking it. It had no cage in it at the time. Think they finally booted him off at SAC. Those passes were in April of 2010

Last edited:

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
When I had my '03 Z71 I was looking at those STS turbo kits but they were kinda pricey. I got into travel trailers so I traded it for my LBZ.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
No doubt the gasser route is much much cheaper and much easier, but I guess it the challenge to make a heavy diesel truck go fast. I really doubt the parts will ever come down too much, market isn't big enough to warrent that. I have built more engines and broke more stuff on a duramax than probably 90% of the people who mod their trucks. I know how expensive they are. When we built Max'd Out I told Rob and Nathan I wanted a 9 sec street legal duramax diesel. We did that in less than 2 months from the first time we had it on the track. Been a lot of broken parts since then, making HP is the easy part in making a fast duramax.

I broke so damn many trannys in my DD that I finally gave up and turned down the power and run the 11.90 index now. It's a lot of fun and put the driver back in the game. Still damn quick but a racers race.:thumb: Good luck with your new project.:thumb:

It is pretty awesome getting a diesel to haul ass. But it's a little cooler going low 10's with a stock motor.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Price has alot to do with me not adding the go fast parts. I have a turbo waiting from my boss to get put on, but i'd like to do a tranny first before i do. Seems anymore the term "do you want to go fast" really means "how fat is your wallet". Its crazy the price of certain parts for any of these motors. I run an Lb-7, and as old the series is, you'd think parts would be a lil cheaper for them. Hate to see anyone leave the diesel seen. Thanks to you guys, we now have a knowledge of problem solving tips and tricks :thumb:

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I consider these things all the time. It certainly isn't cheap and my wallet, just like many here, isn't heavy. Just a good short block build, in this game, sets a person back at the lowest $10,000. Are you kidding me? The cost is near 3-1 unless you're going über-build.

towboattrash34

Sep 30, 2010
Picayune, Ms
This is no diff than me Blowing up 2 engines on my Harley @ 7,500.00 an engine it gets expensive... even in that world it is ( Speed Cost- How fast do you want to go ?) 1 of the first things we harley people have to do is take engine apart and have the crank welded/trued and balanced 2,500 or so... then the cases have to have timkin bearings installed.... and a few other things, like cams,case cleared for cams, rocker box cleared for high lift cams and a good exhaust... then when it is put all back together we have to have a programer 400/500.00 then have it dyno tuned 400.00

So anyone wanting to go fast with a diesel or harley for cheep are lying to their self and family... Speed Cost....

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I consider these things all the time. It certainly isn't cheap and my wallet, just like many here, isn't heavy. Just a good short block build, in this game, sets a person back at the lowest $10,000. Are you kidding me? The cost is near 3-1 unless you're going über-build.

Cost me 5500 to build my short block :confused: